Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

[Resolved] P3D v5.4 random lockups driving me mad

1 hour ago, Luke said:

Ray, you seem to make a lot of conclusions based on very little data

Really? I thought I'd been quite methodical in trying to eliminate various parts of the hardware and software. I don't approach testing haphazardly. As a former programmer I test a theory to prove whether it might be suspect. The trouble is there were many theories to test starting with the computer hardware. Having established that was not the problem I moved on to the software.

Bear in mind I had a scenario that worked reliably for a long period of time. My old computer with an AIG package and a version of P3D that gave me no trouble.

I suspected graphics drivers. That gave me a few days of problem-free flight but when the lockups returned I knew it could not be those.

Next was AUS v2 because I could reliably get the lockup with a short flight between YSCB-YSSY. I was going to uninstall it but Bob suggested Ai might be the issue. Since it was easier to disable Ai I did that and the flight was fine. That put Ai under the spotlight.

But which package? I have over 1000 BGLs and have had lockups over Europe, North America and now Australia. Clearly there was more than one suspect AIG package and identifying it would be a nightmare.

So I chose the only sensible option left to me. Go back to a version of P3D that worked for me.

Having just completed YSCB-YSSY with all my AIG Ai enabled the flight was successful. Yes, it's only one flight but I'm as sure as I can be the problem lies in v5.4.

1 hour ago, Luke said:

And if you do go back to 5.3HF2, I'd restore the offending AIG package and see if you can get a lockup. I suspect you will.

See above. With your knowledge and guessing it was a software issue that affected lots of my flights I'm surprised you didn't suggest reverting before. Don't fix something that isn't broken as @simfan1983said earlier.

I'm not sure what LM have changed / improved in 5.4 but for me I don't see anything that makes it necessary for me.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

20 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I'm as sure as I can be the problem lies in v5.4.

Or maybe rather how V5.4 handles faulty AIG BGLs ?

Why don't you "bite the bullet" and buy V6.1 ? Especially now that it offers DLSS.

44 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

The trouble is there were many theories to test starting with the computer hardware. Having established that was not the problem I moved on to the software.

Didn't we start with Windows 11 and anti-virus? It's been a long saga. Given the small number of changes between 5.3 and 5.4 I am surprised that reverting has made things go away with known bad AI. I'll be curious to see whether things stay good long-term. I hope so.

I am leery of downgrading or reinstalling the sim because I see a lot of people doing that very quickly and it often makes things worse in terms of lost setup and rarely fixes the actual issue, IMO.

Cheers

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

1 hour ago, Sparkrite said:

Or maybe rather how V5.4 handles faulty AIG BGLs ?

Why don't you "bite the bullet" and buy V6.1 ? Especially now that it offers DLSS.

That appears to be the case but only with some BGLs. Open them with AIFP and they look fine.

With no Concorde what would be the point? There’s not enough in a major release to convince me the effort is necessary.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

48 minutes ago, Luke said:

Didn't we start with Windows 11 and anti-virus? It's been a long saga. Given the small number of changes between 5.3 and 5.4 I am surprised that reverting has made things go away with known bad AI. I'll be curious to see whether things stay good long-term. I hope so.

Indeed we did but those proved to be blameless. @simfan1983 may have been onto something when he mentioned lots of changes to GPS. Maybe that impacted on some BGLs.

I’ve just completed a second flight. This one into KPHX when with 5.4 it froze 8ft off the runway after a 50m flight. This time it was fine.

51 minutes ago, Luke said:

I am leery of downgrading or reinstalling the sim because I see a lot of people doing that very quickly and it often makes things worse in terms of lost setup and rarely fixes the actual issue, IMO.

It’s the first time I’ve done it but I had no options left. Trying to identify the BGLs that were causing the problem would have been a Herculean task. I bought this computer to enjoy flying, not to be a tester of seemingly perfectly good Ai aircraft.

I’ll let @Kaiii3 know over at AIG.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

30 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

With no Concorde what would be the point?

Yep, I forgot you're a Concorde user. Must be the time of year (hic!) or else just 'oldtimers' setting in.

32 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

There’s not enough in a major release to convince me the effort is necessary.

Ah Ray ! There are many many changes in V6.1 over V5.3/V5.4, not least the changes in lighting, shadows, reflections and just general ambience which IMO are massive changes for the better.

Not to mention the introduction of DLSS.

I have both V5.4 and V6.1 installed and sharing 99% of my addons without any problem. However I hardly use V5.4 anymore.

14 minutes ago, Sparkrite said:

Ah Ray ! There are many many changes in V6.1 over V5.3/V5.4, not least the changes in lighting, shadows, reflections and just general ambience which IMO are massive changes for the better.

v4 brought us a 64-bit sim. v5 updated the whole world’s scenery including coastlines. It also gave us EA. Both major improvements.

But I’m afraid I need something major in v6 and lighting and reflections isn’t enough for me especially when ChasePlane needs buying again when very little code needed changing.

I don’t mind a new Active Sky because those guys have had it incredibly hard in recent years.

I suspect this will be the last version of P3D in its current format. I anticipate a major change possibly with streaming to come.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

The main reason I did the 5.3HF2 -> 5.4 upgrade was the fix for some ramp elevation problems that made acft float a bout half a foot off the ground (most evident at a couple of FSDT sceneries that are major hubs for cargo ops--KMEM, KSDF).  With 5.4 the plane sits back down on the ground as it should.  It also fixed a relatively small memory leak related to the graphics system, a possibly larger issue for long flights.

That said, I've not had any unusual behavior in 5.4 after upgrading (content, scenery, and client).  I also have a relatively old bgl-only install of AIG that doesn't use the traffic controller.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

For me, V5.3 ran a little more stable than 5.4

I don't have any major problems with 5.4, but 5.3 ran for over 1200 hours without a CTD.

I don't notice any major changes with 5.4, except that the VRAM usage is slightly lower.

Just to add on to what Bob said above, my AIG is a .bgl-only install so I am not using the AIG TC app or AIGFPs which may be different to what Ray has installed in his sim. Not sure if this is indicative of anything.

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

It is curious why others with lots of AIG BGL files don't have this problem with 5.4. I wasn't going to reinstall everything so once the main program was installed I simply copied everything over from the old computer. All I needed to do was adjust the parent folder and the path to P3D. It saved hours of work.

I was advised to switch to AIGFP by AIG staff but that's not something I want to do since BGLs can be edited with AIFP3. There's no equivalent for AIGFP files so I can't remove a NO PAINT aircraft.

And if you want to limit Ai at busy airports using FSUIPC it can only cope with BGLs. AIG TC will just reinject any aircraft deleted.

@Bob Scott, from what you've said it doesn't sound as though I'm missing anything important with 5.4. And like @LenovouserI ran v5.3HF2 for ages without a single problem.

@787flyer, I also run AIGFP but with a relatively small number of airlines. I'm about to start another flight so until I've gone a week without a problem I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I'm by no means a computer expert, but I certainly do have a great deal of experience with systems of all kinds.  Being in the business of owning and operating an office equipment company for 34 years, I've had numerous occasions of having to troubleshoot problems in customers offices.  I employed several  I.T. professionals to do this every day.  So, I was necessarily involved in making decisions based on I.T. input and conclusions drawn concerning problems with hardware and software.

So, it is not "curious" to me whatsoever as to why some systems run exact software better than others who run the same software poorly.  Their hardware configurations and additional programs are infinitely different. Often, individual systems are not that particular and the majority of users get the same experience from a particular program. But many times, the little changes in a specific system setup PREVENT that experience from being as successful as that experienced by others.  We have to keep searching our system configuration to discover the reason (s) why we experience the failures we perceive to exist.

I know this is not an answer to the questions posed in this thread, but it's simply what I consider a "logical" explanation of why it's so difficult to solve.

I had an email from Chillblast this morning requesting I run HWINFO with Thermal Analysis set. I was flying at the time so started logging and after landing (no lockups! 😁) I sent it to them together with @Luke's post regarding PL1, PL2 and tau.

I explained that the problem appears to be solved as I've had no problems since reverting to 5.3HF2. Once they reply after analysing the log I'll post info.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Posted (edited)

Now I see why you pay Chillblast, @Ray Proudfoot. That's some kind of support I don't see down here...

Did "downgrading" to 5.3HF2 affect your Concorde? I only updated to v5.4 (and "downgraded" my sceneries to v4.5) because there was an update.

Edited by Luis Hernandez

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), ID-Cooling SE-224-XTS air cooler, Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

1 hour ago, Luis Hernandez said:

Now I see why you pay Chillblast, @Ray Proudfoot. That's some kind of support I don't see down here...

Did "downgrading" to 5.3HF2 affect your Concorde? I only updated to v5.4 (and "downgraded" my sceneries to v4.5) because there was an update.

I'm paying for it though Luis. A few hundred pounds on top of the price for the components and build. Worth it though for peace of mind.

I've just had my first flight in Concorde (LPPT-GCLP) and it was fine. As long as you're running v5 it's happy.

Do you have any aircraft parking in buildings? I found that trying to use v3 AFX files (for extra parking positions) with v5 and that was the result. So I gave up and stayed with v5 AFX ones.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather