Sign in to follow this  
jkeye

P3D v 6.1 is now available

Very good news I would say on the latest P3Dv6.1 release. That's a good list of improvements.

I have not taken the leap yet and I am on P3D v5.3 still.

I may be tempted to move to v6.1 if someone can report on how the PMDG birds are in the sim, specifically the 777 and 747.

I have lost track of the initial issues that were mentioned previously about dark cockpits and textures. Is this now resolved? How do they look in v6.1?

• Like 2

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

12 hours ago, Damian Clark said:

FYI, ASP6 open beta update with v6.1 compatibility has been posted....

Ahead of the Time, Chrono and Weather wise, Damian !!!

I continue to use P3D 80% because it's the only flight simulator where I have a consistent, overall weather depiction and effects !!!

Active Sky Rulezzzzz !!!!!!

Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy and Prosperous 2024 !!!!

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I only did a brief flight with the default scenario.

Lighting at dusk and dawn looks good now and the sim seems more "atmospheric" in some way.

Thanks to LM for the big improvements and for supporting this!

• Like 2

I use v4.5 and occasionally FSX. I skipped v5 and i must admit that i do like the look of the updated v6.  I'm very tempted to give it a try. I do have one question will 8GB of Vram be enough? I have a RTX 2080 and run a single screen at 1920x1080.

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer

48 minutes ago, Dazkent said:

I use v4.5 and occasionally FSX. I skipped v5 and i must admit that i do like the look of the updated v6.  I'm very tempted to give it a try. I do have one question will 8GB of Vram be enough? I have a RTX 2080 and run a single screen at 1920x1080.

I just have a GTX1070 and I run it fine. That is with default scenery and without complex aircraft. I keep those on V5 and just tinker with version six because of lack of developer support.

• Upvote 1

Vic green

9 hours ago, jlohrenz said:

It works fine with V6 if you apply the registry entries that make it think V5 is installed along with the symlinks to V5 directories.

Can you point us to the instructions on how to do this?  My home airport looks pretty good in V6.  However, I want to correct it's elevation, add additional items like static vehicles, maybe a hanger I can actually park in, etc.  

I9-9900, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3090 FTW

44 minutes ago, Sabre57 said:

Can you point us to the instructions on how to do this?  My home airport looks pretty good in V6.  However, I want to correct it's elevation, add additional items like static vehicles, maybe a hanger I can actually park in, etc.  

Here's the regedit portion. .

1. Open Notepad.exe up, and paste the following into it:
    1. Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5]
      "Installed"=dword:00000001
      "AppPath"="<INSERT-PATH-TO-PREPAR3Dv6-HERE>"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5]
      "License"="<INSERT-LICENSE-HERE>" (License can be Academic/Professional/ProfessionalPlus)
      "SetupPath"="<INSERT-PATH-FOR-PREPAR3DV6-HERE>"
  2. Save the file as P3D.reg and close out of notepad
  3. Run the P3D.reg by double-clicking it (follow the instructions as they appear)
  4. Create SymLinks to the ProgramDataData, User AppData, Documents P3D files and Documents P3D Add-On folders.
    1. Open a command prompt and use the below as a template to create these sym-links
      1. For ProgramData
        1. mklink /J "C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5" "C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v6"

2. For AppData
        1. mklink /J "C:\Users\<INSERT USER NAME HERE>\AppData\Roaming\Prepar3D v5" "C:\Users\<INSERT USER NAME HERE>\AppData\Roaming\Prepar3D v6"

3. For P3D Files
        1. mklink /J "C:\Users\<INSERT USER NAME HERE>\Documents\Prepar3d v5 Files" "C:\Users\<INSERT USER NAME HERE>\Documents\Prepar3d v6 Files"

4. For P3D Add-On
        1. mklink /J "C:\Users\<INSERT USER NAME HERE>\Documents\Prepar3d v5 Add-ons" C:\Users\<INSERT USER NAME HERE>\Documents\Prepar3d v6 Add-ons"

This will create what looks like folders with duplicate information but it basically tricks older add-ons into thinking you have P3D v5 installed.  There is a thread about this pinned in the fourm here about getting older addons working in newer versions of p3d.  I did this to fix elevation issues on a few airports and it works like a charm.

Edited by jlohrenz
  • Like 2

Building a full scale 737-800 Simulator running P3D v5.x 210 degree wrap around screenspacer.png

Jason Lohrenz (@lohrenz737) • Instagram photos and videos

Lohrenz 737 Simulator Project (lohrenzsimulator.com)

14 hours ago, jlohrenz said:

It works fine with V6 if you apply the registry entries that make it think V5 is installed along with the symlinks to V5 directories.

Some object identifiers have changed in v6 and ADE won't recognize them.  Taxi signs for one, as well as others.

Changing registry entries won't fix this.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

8 minutes ago, dave2013 said:

Some object identifiers have changed in v6 and ADE won't recognize them.  Taxi signs for one, as well as others.

Changing registry entries won't fix this.

Dave

Ah.  I've used it just to fix altitude issues with some addons and to generate exclude bgl's for some sceneries that didn't play well with v5.  For that kind of stuff it seems to work fine.  So I think if you are working with addons that were designed for anything outside of V6 specifically it'll work for your needs.

Building a full scale 737-800 Simulator running P3D v5.x 210 degree wrap around screenspacer.png

Jason Lohrenz (@lohrenz737) • Instagram photos and videos

Lohrenz 737 Simulator Project (lohrenzsimulator.com)

I Think LM have surpassed themselves ( about time ) with this update.

Lighting is so MUCH better all over. It is so much more "alive".

Plus, smoother and better FPS than 6.0.36.

I wish Orbx would come on board with v6. The latest v6 stock ground textures and land class don't look nearly as good as v5.4 looks with Orbx products. I know about all the tweaks you can make, but actual v6 products would be a lot better. Orbx said they were taking "baby steps" to support v6, but that's just another way of saying don't hold your breath waiting for it.

• Like 2

Pete Locascio

I dunno what is the point for this sim.  I like Prepar3d, but none of the devs are bothering with this release.  Orbx has been saying they are taking baby steps (that is good ole PR talk - come on folks, you know Orbx can't make money on it; ship has sailed).  I have zero desire to waste time on "changing configs" on tweaking.  There was a time I enjoyed tweaking this and that, but not anymore.  

Good for LM for releasing it though.

Edited by Skywolf
  • Like 3

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

4 hours ago, Skywolf said:

I dunno what is the point for this sim.

You could you say the same about any platform?  I still haven't explored or used 70% of the content I purchased for P3D so not really in "need" for new content ... maybe in a several years from now?  Updating of my existing content would be nice per my PBR suggestion above.

Not sure about your "Tweak" comment, I have more tweaks for MSFS than I do P3D and XP combined.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Skywolf said:

I dunno what is the point for this sim.  I like Prepar3d, but none of the devs are bothering with this release.  Orbx has been saying they are taking baby steps (that is good ole PR talk - come on folks, you know Orbx can't make money on it; ship has sailed).  I have zero desire to waste time on "changing configs" on tweaking.  There was a time I enjoyed tweaking this and that, but not anymore.  

Good for LM for releasing it though.

I mean, if you are happy with the sim you are using, then by all means. 

However, I will say, it takes about 2 mins to do the registry trick and works like a charm, so not really "wasting time". 

I finally got myself to migrate a few weeks ago, and have to say i've never seen the sim looking so good. 

ORBX/PMDG/Aerosoft all install perfectly and look great in the new sim. I do miss my FSLABS, I have to say. 

I get that a lot of things aren't "officially" supported, but they work, and it's no-more difficult getting them to work than in any other version of P3D. 

I have never seen P3D look this good, very happy camper. (All images below are from 6.0, prior to update) 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by DChockey08
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 2