Sign in to follow this  
jjf

Still no historical weather options for MSFS?

11 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

When I fly in the sim, whatever time it is, that is when I fly. I still don't understand what the heck you are trying to prove...Ridiculous discussion.. 

There’s nothing ridiculous in what he said. Australia is 13-15 hours ahead of your time in Georgia. A daytime flight in Perth (13 hours ahead) starting at 10:00 local would require you to start the flight at 21:00 your time for the sim weather to match the real world stuff.

If you started your flight at 09:00 your time you will have nighttime weather for your daytime flight.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke, Fulcrum TQ (pre-production).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

24 minutes ago, Mace said:

When you fly at 11 at night, but you're flying in daytime in the sim, you have nighttime weather for your daytime flight.

Please explain why that matters to you. The main goal for me is to fly according to whatever conditions I'm presented with regardless of whether or not it jives w/ day, night, next week or last week.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

3 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

There’s nothing ridiculous in what he said. Australia is 13-15 hours ahead of your time in Georgia. A daytime flight in Perth (13 hours ahead) starting at 10:00 local would require you to start the flight at 21:00 your time for the sim weather to match the real world stuff.

If you started your flight at 09:00 your time you will have nighttime weather for your daytime flight.

I don't try and match any weather with any sim time. I just use real weather, take off and fly, and whatever the weather I get in MSFS, is what I fly  in. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

spacer.png

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020  PMDG 777    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

@Ray Proudfootjust give it up. 

We have been explaining it to them for three years now. They will never understand.

Edited by RALF9636
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Bobsk8 said:

I don't try and match any weather with any sim time. I just use real weather, take off and fly, and whatever the weather I get in MSFS, is what I fly  in. 

Yes, I gathered that. I was just trying to explain why the time difference is a factor when there’s only one set of weather for the whole world.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke, Fulcrum TQ (pre-production).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

@Ray Proudfootjust give it up. 

We have been explaining it to them for three years now. They will never understand.

Oh they understand okay. But many just aren’t bothered. I fly in Europe in the morning but switch to the US in the afternoon as daylight is failing over here.

For flights on the other side of the world I have to switch to historical. That is so useful.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 minute ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Oh they understand okay. But many just aren’t bothered.

That's it in a nutshell, it's really a simple concept.  Why doesn't it bother me and many or perhaps most others?  Well, for starters, as the saying goes where I live:  if you don't like the weather here, just wait 15 minutes.  I bring this up to illustrate it's hardly like "weather" is the same every nighttime, and every daytime.  Coastal California can be crystal clear in the morning on one day, and fogged in the next.  Where I live can have nasty winds from any direction any time of the day depending on conditions at the time.  The only justification I can see for developing historical weather is so that people can try to duplicate something that happened historically.  That can largely be done using presets or custom settings or what have you.

• Like 2

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

3 minutes ago, Noel said:

The only justification I can see for developing historical weather is so that people can try to duplicate something that happened historically.  That can largely be done using presets or custom settings or what have you.

Setting cloud cover and surface winds isn’t difficult, just boring. But upper winds are more important especially when the jet stream is close to your planned flight. That is significantly harder data to source and keep your flight updated.

But with a third party addon allowed access to the weather api it would make a lot of people happy and be of no consequence to those not interested.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

49 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

But with a third party addon allowed access to the weather api it would make a lot of people happy and be of no consequence to those not interested.

What percentage of all users of MSFS will be made happy, and that's assuming it's even possible for HiFi/other to do anything w/ MSFS weather.   Are you still using HiFi's 2D cloud based option in P3D?  Last time we chatted on this you were, and as you know MSFS/meteoblue's weather is nothing like what HiFi has worked with in the past.  If you're on P3D v6 now, from the screenshots I saw at HiFi's website, it really looked pretty weak, and as is normally the case, developers showcase the best possible images when selling product.  Here's what I mean:

spacer.png2.jpg

Noel

13 hours ago, Stearmandriver said:

Well, except that it's still impossible to define a visibility value.  It's the single most glaring omission of software that calls itself a simulator.

If you want to fly an approach to exactly 1800rvr, you need to find somewhere in live weather where those conditions exist, because you cannot define them.

Try this: set overcast preset - bring the overcast down to ground level - set percentage 80 - 85% and play with the density and scatter setting.

I know I can get any visibility level I want doing this and apart from being easier than searching METARs I can have that visibility at the airport/region of my choice.

I'm not against Historic weather being an option and do understand what is being explained, I just don't think the case used in this instance really holds up unless you believe that MSFS live weather rendition is accurate enough to give you an rvr exactly what the METAR says it is anyway. (the only way to judge its accuracy anyway is by using your eyes and prior experience irl which you can do just as well with the method I described above)

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Noel said:

What percentage of all users of MSFS will be made happy, and that's assuming it's even possible for HiFi/other to do anything w/ MSFS weather.

I have no idea and neither does anyone else. Unless Hi-Fi are given the necessary information how would anyone know if they can produce what is required.

The rest of your post is off-topic.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

11 hours ago, Mace said:

When you fly at 11 at night, but you're flying in daytime in the sim, you have nighttime weather for your daytime flight.

One thing to note though is, that any particular night weather condition during the day is never completely wrong. Just less likely. Because in any season the exact weather conditions that can occur during the night, can also occur during the day.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Noel said:

Please explain why that matters to you. The main goal for me is to fly according to whatever conditions I'm presented with regardless of whether or not it jives w/ day, night, next week or last week.

I can't even believe there are still people able to ask such questions... What exactly is so difficult to understand for you ? There are so many examples proving why having night weather during day time is wrong, and yet some people are like "why do you care?". You people should keep enjoying the weather themes and let the simmers discuss about "real weather" seriously.

Last summer I wanted to experience a flight in the death valley, which is famous for the extremely high temperatures. I set a flight in Furnace Creek, set real weather, and adjusted the time to "day"' because it was night time when I was flying. Real Weather temperature was about 26°C.. I guess the Death Valley is just a marketing title, nothing deadly in there, right ?

If you can't understand that weather at night is not the same as weather at day, then we can't do much more for you. I understand it doesn't matter for you. You can enjoy flying with any weather even if it doesn't make any sense, which basically means you simply DON'T need real weather at all. Something like "random weather" would be just fine for you, right ?

• Like 6
  • Upvote 5

33 minutes ago, fsiscool said:

One thing to note though is, that any particular night weather condition during the day is never completely wrong. Just less likely. Because in any season the exact weather conditions that can occur during the night, can also occur during the day

Of course that is absolutely not true. maybe depends where you live.

We have here (in germany) in spring and autumn in the morning very often mist. This mist is gone few hours after sunrise.
When yourself look at weather in MSFS in night, you will also see, that night is often more cloudy or vice versa.

It is not completely wrong in the aspect, that it is winter, despite if its day or not. But otherwise there's a big difference here

• Like 2

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Early morning /late afternoon VFR flying is a significantly different experience in summertime than being bounced around at noon in thermals and dodging those fair Weather CU's.

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , Turbocharged, EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40NG+tdi / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |