Sign in to follow this  
DAD

Fenix A320 Block 2 is released

Posted (edited)

On this topic of FPS in Fenix vs PMDG, somewhat apples to oranges comparison I'd say.. definitely the Fenix has more visual fidelity than the PMDG, don't really think anyone can seriously dispute that (except for Mathijs for a second or two 😂).

But even *if* the level of visual fidelity and simulation/systems/etc depth of the Fenix and PMDG are equal-ish in terms of representing their IRL counterpart aircraft, the Airbus sim aircraft is going to be necessarily more compute intensive than the Boeing sim I'd think? (given that Airbuses have more complex automation/FBW than Boeings).

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 5

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, lwt1971 said:

On this topic of FPS in Fenix vs PMDG, somewhat apples to oranges comparison I'd say.. definitely the Fenix has more visual fidelity than the PMDG, don't really think anyone can seriously dispute that (except for Mathijs for a second or two 😂).

But even if the level of visual fidelity and simulation/systems/etc depth of the Fenix and PMDG are equal-ish in terms of representing their IRL counterpart aircraft, the Airbus sim aircraft is going to be necessarily more compute intensive than the Boeing sim I'd think? (given that Airbuses have more complex automation/FBW than Boeings).

Fenix has more going on than visuals to PMDG. Working CB's is an example.

Edited by JBDB-MD80
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, JBDB-MD80 said:

Fenix has more going on than visuals to PMDG. Working CB's is an example.

Plus a working cockpit door. If I remember PMDG said they can't do because of security but everyone else can. 😄

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, carlanthony24 said:

If I remember PMDG said they can't do because of security

What does "security" mean in that regard? Virtual hijackers entering the cockpit or what in the world is that supposed to mean?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Fiorentoni said:

What does "security" mean in that regard? Virtual hijackers entering the cockpit or what in the world is that supposed to mean?

Just stop it lets not go there.

5 minutes ago, JBDB-MD80 said:

Just stop it lets not go there.

I'm legitemately curious what that was supposed to mean. Not trying to start anything.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

Wording I could find PMDG has stated previously that they are looking into adding the ability to open the cockpit door. However, the locking mechanism itself is a security feature and will not be implemented in PMDG aircraft. RSR said this "We will never model any function of the cockpit door locking mechanism for what I hope are obvious reasons."

I don't believe any of the other aircraft's show either. They just have a working door.

Edited by carlanthony24
  • Like 1

Just now, Fiorentoni said:

I'm legitemately curious what that was supposed to mean. Not trying to start anything.

You and others are PMDG fans ad so FS Labs and have nothing to say good about the Fenix. Fact if I'm wrong delete this post.

1 minute ago, JBDB-MD80 said:

You and others are PMDG fans ad so FS Labs and have nothing to say good about the Fenix. Fact if I'm wrong delete this post.

?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JBDB-MD80 said:

Not being funny Fiorentoni has given Fenix praise 

Just now, carlanthony24 said:

Not being funny Fiorentoni has given Fenix praise 

BS!

Just now, JBDB-MD80 said:

BS!

What's wrong with you? If anything I was making fun of RSR's "security" thing in regards to the cockpit door. What does that even have to do with Fenix? By the way I think the Fenix is the best addon in flight sim history. I'll just assume that your are legitemately mistaking me for another user. Let's get back to the topic.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Fiorentoni said:

What's wrong with you? If anything I was making fun of RSR's "security" thing in regards to the cockpit door. What does that even have to do with Fenix? By the way I think the Fenix is the best addon in flight sim history. I'll just assume that your are legitemately mistaking me for another user. Let's get back to the topic.

Ok sorry my bad having a rough day at home.

Good Lord the tribalism in flight sim land is ridiculous.

In the first place, guys: Fenix and PMDG are not competitors.  Competitors make the same product, and each tries to convince the consumer that theirs is better.  PMDG makes pretend Boeing jets, and Fenix makes a pretend Airbus.  These two things are NOT the same.  They do not compete with each other.

Regarding security features around the cockpit door: yes, Robert did say they'd never actually model the operation of the door - not that it would never just click to open.  There are elements of the door security mechanism that are visually modeled in the PMDG if you know what you're looking at - because these things are openly visible to pax when the door is open - but their operation will never be modeled.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Andrew Crowley

4 minutes ago, Stearmandriver said:

Good Lord the tribalism in flight sim land is ridiculous.

In the first place, guys: Fenix and PMDG are not competitors.  Competitors make the same product, and each tries to convince the consumer that theirs is better.  PMDG makes pretend Boeing jets, and Fenix makes a pretend Airbus.  These two things are NOT the same.  They do not compete with each other.

Regarding security features around the cockpit door: yes, Robert did say they'd never actually model the operation of the door - not that it would never just click to open.  There are elements of the door security mechanism that are visually modeled in the PMDG if you know what you're looking at - because these things are openly visible to pax when the door is open - but their operation will never be modeled.

Yep. Both the PMDG and Fenix are quality addons and I would recommend them both.