Sign in to follow this  
Falconfly

PMDG 777 MSFS FIRST LOOK

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, UrgentSiesta said:

With respect, the vast majority of us dont have the same "problem" as you do.

If you want to go old school, Just Flight has a couple of excellent products for you. I prefer their 146 myself, but many say their recent Fokker is sublime when it comes to old school liners.

And the iniBuilds classic Airbuses are very good.

See? Lots of choices.

The Inistuff is pretty modern as is the 146 by that I mean they have an FMS.. I want somthing old, think late 50s early 60s with INS only or even less than that, flying ADF to ADF. In the case of the big flying boats in the sim, I've used dead reckoning to get across the ocean. Was challenging but I was busy the entire crossing... The issue with those or even the Connie or DC6 is how long a crossing takes that's why a classic jet would be a good addition to the sim.. I get it people want to simulate what's currently flying but to me it's more fun to simulate a time in aviation you'll never get to experience. I don't get the opposition folks have to classic jets they are easier to learn and fly because the automation is minimal you actually have to hand fly the plane which is what makes flight sims or flying in real life fun....To me staring at a screen filled with simulated screens while a simulated computer on my computer flies a plane on autopilot isn't really engaging. That's just me though.

Edited by z06z33
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

6 minutes ago, z06z33 said:

I want somthing old

Not a screen or magenta line in sight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIx3Dm-j-60

spacer.png

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

18 hours ago, Farlis said:

They have a very close relationship with Boeing

Heaven, please nooooo,, then let’s expect shareholder value first, second and third. 🤣😂🤣

• Upvote 1

Sometimes I have to admit to myself:
"Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses"

1 hour ago, z06z33 said:

To me staring at a screen filled with simulated screens while a simulated computer on my computer flies a plane on autopilot isn't really engaging. That's just me though.

I was just thinking if I do a flight today (laundry day), the AS DC8 might be the only plane that could lure me back into FSX. I also like to spend some time sitting on the flight engineer's seat, seeing that perspective also makes me feel really involved with the flight. Not sure about X Plane B720 and B742 might be good. 

One of the things I've heard on here about the more modern jets is that certain failures are intentionally left out as per agreement between the aircraft manufacturer and the sim developer. Not sure it that's true. But it shouldn't be an issue for say a 707 or DC8. Potentially a developer should be able to include every switch, every single thing that could go wrong and then some, plus every single manual in full, for those that really want to get into it.

For me it's a lot to do with the preflight planning and seeing how fuel and time work out. I like busy AI traffic, waiting in a longer than anticipated line up before departure, cutting it close with the fuel requirements, the anticipation, we're either going to be late or we might be shaving it too close on fuel. But during cruise I'll only check in every few hours and have a look around, so for me, I'm excited about the 777 in MSFS.

The DC6 sold pretty well but it was the first PMDG high fidelity model for MSFS. I think I flew it once as the learning curve is very high. 

I’m fairly sure if you looked at Vatsim or Simbrief data then you’d see the number of people flying not only the DC6, but other classics like the 146, Fokker F28 and even the A300 to be absolutely dwarfed by the 737 NG and A320 crowd. 

The money is in the new stuff, which is why I’m astonished that no one’s had a go at a 787 yet. 

I would be interested to know the sales figures for the older airliners when compared to the A320 and 737. Whilst I do not doubt that the latter will sell more copies, why would (for example) JustFlight continue to develop older planes like the 146/Avro RJ/Fokker F28/Fokker F70 and 100/Avro Vulcan if they are losing money on them? By all accounts, these are not LITE versions of the real planes. They seem to be taking quite some time to create, and have a lot of detail and systems depth. That suggests to me that they are selling rather better than some of you would like to think.

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

I would be interested to know the sales figures for the older airliners when compared to the A320 and 737. Whilst I do not doubt that the latter will sell more copies, why would (for example) JustFlight continue to develop older planes like the 146/Avro RJ/Fokker F28/Fokker F70 and 100/Avro Vulcan if they are losing money on them? By all accounts, these are not LITE versions of the real planes. They seem to be taking quite some time to create, and have a lot of detail and systems depth. That suggests to me that they are selling rather better than some of you would like to think.

Just flight is a publisher and not a complete developer (kind of like Aerosoft). Most of their aircraft is sold under their name are not made by them Not like PMDG of Fenix. Fenix sold 1 A320 in May 2022 and never released another product after that until they sort of corrected the A320 and we 2 years later have not seen the A319 or A321 because they say its not ready yet talk about Detail and systems. Just Flight still uses default Asobo assets you will not see that on PMDG or Fenix.

I use Vatsim frequently and all I see is a bunch of 737's and A320's flying all the time and its not even close with other airframes.

Edited by JBDB-MD80

Posted (edited)

Vatsim is not really a good indicator of sales. The number of flight simmers using Vatsim will only be a small fraction of the total number of customers. In addition, most of the Vatsim crowd will probably want to fly real world routes with correct aircraft types, so seeing lots of A320s and 737s is no surprise to me.

As for those older airliners that I mentioned above, they are developed "in house" by the JustFlight team. They certainly do publish products by other developers, but they are so much more than that. I have met and spoken with some of the in house development team at past UK Flightsim shows, and they are a talented bunch of guys who have consistently "hit the mark" with quality products in recent years. I can't wait for the Avro RJ series to be released, because a detailed version of the RJ70 is something that I have wanted ever since I used the Quality Wings version in P3D. That was a sort of "mid range" product (some of the dials and gauges were only pictures), but I am confident that the upcoming (in house developed) JustFlight version will be far more than that.

EDIT: The only reason that I do not have the JustFlight Bae 146 is because I like having a navigation display in my airliners. I may like the thought of flying slightly older plane types, but I am a lazy flyer at heart. NDs, autothrottles, and a relatively modern FMS are my comfort zone :wink:

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Posted (edited)

Vatsim indicates serious players on a network today. Not some kid playing Vulcans on multiplayer offline world not allowed around.

Edited by JBDB-MD80
  • Like 1

I would buy a PMDG 727 with a working INS on day one for sure. But I know I don't represent a majority of simmers unfortunately.

A 787 would sell way more than a 707 or 727, it's a fact!

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, sdirand said:

I would buy a PMDG 727 with a working INS on day one for sure. But I know I don't represent a majority of simmers unfortunately.

A 787 would sell way more than a 707 or 727, it's a fact!

FS Reborn is doing a 727 (maybe a few years away) but will be better than what PMDG offers.

Edited by JBDB-MD80

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, bennyboy75 said:

The DC6 sold pretty well but it was the first PMDG high fidelity model for MSFS. I think I flew it once as the learning curve is very high. 

The DC6 can be flown by "pilots" of all abilities.
There are preset states and indeed a virtual flight engineer to do all of the background work.
Once you have let the aircraft do all of that, to take off, all that is required is to open the throttle,
something that should not be too challenging.
Thereafter, the virtual flight engineer will keep the aircraft systems under control for you.

On the other hand, you can set it to break down, choose to do everything for yourself and lose
yourself in trying to get the engines to start, let alone make it fly.

It really does have something for everyone and is a masterpiece of flight simulation software.

Edited by Reader

7 hours ago, carlanthony24 said:

Maybe it would of been more positive if they had actually shown some of the new features and not a 2 minute video showing a departure and well things we have all seen before.

That's the plan for FSWeekend.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Bdub22 said:

so who cares if the planes aren’t really in service today?

The majority. That is where the big sales lie, not in the historic aircraft.

Edited by Farlis
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, JBDB-MD80 said:

Just Flight still uses default Asobo assets you will not see that on PMDG or Fenix.

Please stop making this claim as its disingenous to the JF team and their efforts, I already explained the purpose of the PL21 FMS and it's purpose in the BAe 146 to you which you've keenly ignored.

2 hours ago, JBDB-MD80 said:

Most of their aircraft is sold under their name are not made by them Not like PMDG of Fenix.

JustFlight may be a publishers but they are also developers just as much as Fenix and PMDG are and their recent airliners were develop in-house. They make very clear to say if it was developed by another party if so.

1 hour ago, JBDB-MD80 said:

Vatsim indicates serious players on a network today.

It really does not, and the introduction of MSFS has made that even more apparent. It just indicates interest in being in a controlled network

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3