Sign in to follow this  
raymar

What is going to happen when MSFS2024 arrives??

Let's all go to the lobby... and wait for it to come!

spacer.png

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I think I will wait a couple of weeks, until the dust settles, and we know how stable the new version is. Right now, MSFS2020  is rock solid. 

wouldn't  say its  rock  solid  just  have  to read  all  the  issues  users  are  now  having

Edited by pete_auau
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

9 hours ago, raymar said:

Surely Microsoft/Asobo will not abandon MSFS2020 anytime soon.

I think they should do one more Sim Update (16) focusing purely on bug fixes then knock it on the head and go 100% on MSFS2024 for release and beyond. It makes zero sense to waste time supporting the old product when the new one will have full mod compatibility from the start, this isn't an operating system people rely on, it's a game at the end of the day and usually when a software franchise releases a new title they very quickly fade out support of the preceding title. Yeah I know what Jorg has said that support of MSFS2020 will continue, but things change and the ultimate factor will be income, if supporting the old product hinders income of the new then the shareholders and daddy M$ will get angry.

As for the initial question what will happen when MSFS 2024 releases? Most users will jump over, perhaps at a slower rate over the first month or two (there's no rush like the initial MSFS2020 release) but fairly soon after release (3-4 months) I fully expect the new one to be far in front in terms of user numbers. There's a few other factors to throw in of course (state of bugs/issues on release, speed of updates thereafter etc), but they'll be discussed in due course.

• Like 3

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

7 hours ago, Krakin said:

because the team is a lot more experienced now. 

They have made huge progess in quality control before releasing updates for instance. Also, they have now enough servers to handle the load at peak times. And, the MS store version authentification procedure is silky smooth. The forums here and there are a testament to their accrued experience.😇

Now, me, I may wait a couple of weeks to see the dust settle. And go to the Steam store.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I've spent a small fortune on MSFS20 and will be in no rush at all this year to buy the new one. People are kidding themselves if they think it will be smooth sailing with the new weather and graphics etc, guaranteed to have reems of threads on here with all the issues.

Maybe I'll get it next year. MSFS20 is perfect for what I need.

B450 Tomahawk Max / Ryzen 7 5800x3D / RTX 3060ti 8G / Noctua NH-UI21S Max Cooling / 32G Patriot RAM / 1TB NVME / 450G SSD / Thrustmaster TCA & Throttle Quadrant / Xiaomi 32" Wide Curved Monitor 1440p 144hz

The majority of the threads here on Avsim will be whining about bugs, poor performance and how lousy Asobo and MS are, i.e. as usual with new releases.

• Like 3

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

1 hour ago, Ixoye said:

The majority of the threads here on Avsim will be whining about bugs, poor performance and how lousy Asobo and MS are

The "minority" incl. myself will feel like christmas, easter and birthday all on one day. Heaven can wait, I can not.

• Like 1

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Pivot said:

I guess I am a little more reserve on this version. I will watch these forums before making the jump. Though, having said this, I have been a day one on almost all flight sims back to the commodore period (aging engaged). I just don't feel this one will be much different than 2020 with the advent of some direct, and possibly forced, mission activities. One thing is for sure, I will be watching the launch day one. Guess it's a Wait & See for me, but good luck to Asobo & the crowds for sure..

That's fair, but after having seen their presentation of more detailed info on what's coming in v2024 at FSExpo and the subsequent extensive interviews they gave, it should be at least clear that it is anything but "not much different than 2020 with the advent of some direct, and possibly forced, mission activities.". Perhaps you're only going by the initial trailer that MS/Asobo dropped, and if you haven't already, watch and read these:

Jorg+Seb presentation at FSExpo on MSFS 2024 core sim improvements: https://youtu.be/VPhScg_FINE?t=507
https://msfsaddons.com/2023/06/25/exclusive-interview-with-jorg-neumann-and-sebastian-wloch-we-are-in-the-pursuit-of-the-perfect-sim/
https://www.helisimmer.com/interview/msfs-2024-helicopters-future-msfs-2020

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

Posted (edited)

-wrong thread, please delete-

Edited by thepilot

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, raymar said:

I suppose my biggest concern is whether the 3rd party planes that I am buying today will fly in FS2024 or whether we will be purchasing a bunch of upgrades.

Ray

Given MS/Asobo's stated intention of making add-ons transition as smooth as possible (with zero or minimal changes) I am confident most add-ons will work as-is or only require minimal changes which the devs will surely do for free.

Now in order to take advantage of the new capabilities in MSFS 2024 (i.e. more detailed geometry definition of the aircraft model surfaces/wings/etc which then benefits the flight model.. what Seb starts speaks about here re: the new aerodynamics/physics engine: https://youtu.be/VPhScg_FINE?t=649 ).. for re-work like this some aircraft devs might do for free, some might charge, will have to wait/see. I'd lean towards them not charging for their existing released aircraft in the field (at least the established top-tier devs), but who knows.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Upvote 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

For me it'll be largely a question of performance and what the "actual" minimum PC specs are to run the thing on par with what I have in this version. I'll be looking hard at how the switch to less-client/more-streaming goes.

Not like many users I suppose, I don't fly the high-end airliners much and don't need mega airports to be happy. If the sim and the new helicopters get stellar reviews well, maybe. But if I have to drop a few thousand again on a new PC I probably will stay with 2020.

There's another what-if on the horizon which is Win10 compatibility. 5-year old PC but it just barely doesn't meet the specs to upgrade to Win11 (CPU is one of the few they won't support). If support stops for Win10 will it be worth their time to try and make the 2024 sim compatible. Who knows? Either way should be interesting to see what the next step forward looks like.

ASUS MAXIMUS IX CODE Z270, i7-7700K OC@4.8, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, VKBSim Gladiator joystick, CH Pro pedals, Razer Orbweaver Chroma Gaming Keypad, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB (main drive/sim drive), WD Black 1TB HDD

4 minutes ago, CapnCrunch said:

There's another what-if on the horizon which is Win10 compatibility.

Interesting point

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I'll be jumping in on day 1. Remember devs are going to have access before launch which should help sort out any compatibility issues. ( I cannot recall how long before launch this is to be though) And as a fail safe, i have enough storage space, so will be keeping MS2020 just incase there are any game stopping problems.

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

For me?  When 2024 launches, I'll be playing 2020, all while scrolling here to see how things are going. 

Will I move to 2024 eventually?  Of course.  Maybe it will be a week, a month or a year.  I'll migrate when it makes sense.  I don't have the disk space for both sims, so I'll let all the early adopters test the waters for me. 

Honestly, I don't get the huge fuss over 2024.  Seems to have some nice improvements, but nothing that screams "buy me on day 1!!!".  Again, I'll get it at some point.  However I'm not going to uninstall a working sim to jump into the unknown on day 1.  I assume add-ons will need patching, and who knows if they all get an advanced copy.  Just an example, will add-on planes fly properly when 2024 changes the flight model?  Compatibility is one thing, but will the planes fly the way the developers intended? 

All these questions are going to be answered by everyone jumping in on day 1.  😀

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

I will switch to 2024 right away, though no new release is without issues, so we we will see how the servers etc will hold up to the extreme pressure! Very excited about 2024!

• Like 2