Sign in to follow this  
DMullert

ActiveSky FS Released

Still not sure I understand even following all of this, but this is what I want to know.

If I use Active sky with the commanche 250 or even the 414

will my flight be more bumpy as in real life or will it still be the same as the default MSFS.

Ron

MSFS -Just flight Piper arrow 28-  A2A Comanche250 - COWS DA42 - Cessna 310 -Cessna 414
Black Square Baron - FSR500 - SimWorks PC12 - Black Square TBM 850
146Pro Plane - PMDG 737-600

11 minutes ago, Ron Lefebvre said:

Still not sure I understand even following all of this, but this is what I want to know.

If I use Active sky with the commanche 250 or even the 414

will my flight be more bumpy as in real life or will it still be the same as the default MSFS.

More bumpy (the degree of that is up to you). Many settings that can be tweaked.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, mwilk said:

Has anyone been able to use ASFS historical weather when planning a flight using Simbrief? Someone mentioned being able to do it in the previous 44 pages but I wasn't able to track down who it was. When I try to do it Simbrief times out before it can download the weather.

1. Set the date and time in the ASFS historical weather menu and let it complete the download.

2. Open the system-tray and right click the Simbrief-Downloader icon (needs to be installed of course)

3. Select "Upload Active Sky Weather"

4. When completed open Simbrief and select "Historical Weather: Enabled - Use your uploaded snapshot".

5. Select "Change Date" and continue as usual

Edited by RALF9636
  • Like 7

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

1. Set the date and time in the ASFS historical weather menu and let it complete the download.

2. Open the system-tray and right click the Simbrief-Downloader icon (needs to be installed of course)

4. When completed open Simbrief and select "Historical Weather: Enabled - Use your uploaded snapshot".

Ralf, many, many thanks for your help. It worked like a charm. I had never used historical weather in any of the previous versions of Active Sky that I've owned. Again thanks very much for your help.

Edited by mwilk

NAX669.png

9 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

Lol - good to know! I thought you just changed the date in Simbrief!

The steps above would be good to add to the manual.

6 minutes ago, mmcmah said:

Lol - good to know! I thought you just changed the date in Simbrief!

The steps above would be good to add to the manual.

Actually that's just a workaround as long as the "Update - Upload a new weather snapshot" option in Simbrief does not work due to some time-out issue. Will hopefully get fixed soon on their side.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

Good info..

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

It seems that so far the reports here on Avsim from people that have used AS, are positive. I’d like to hear opinions in particular from people with in-depth knowledge of meteorology, as well as RW pilots.

I’ve watched three YT videos; Q8 (the Fenix issues sort of ruined the video), Easy Jetsim Pilot and Overkill. The latter two did very limited testing. Overkill may have messed things up by not correctly “injecting” AS weather. He also chose a location without any mechanical or thermal turbulence i.e. he could have chosen a different location to better illustrate AS’ capabilities.

EDIT: Just watched the last part of Q8’s video where he compares AS to default weather, switching back and forth. Not sure if it’s recommended to do this based on the manual:

Thank you for that. These are the reasons so many of us are loudly complaining about these "reviews".  I wouldn't like AS either based on those reviews, fortunately I have used it correctly.

@Sethos - this is what I was referring to - do you believe it is fair for an influencer to provide  a negative review based upon erroneous data? Their reviews get out to all of their subscribers creating a false narrative and some of us users are the only voice to correct that.

• Like 4

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

3 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

The ActiveSky release give you features not present in default live weather.  However, if you want to fly with a local weather model, you still can!

I don't understand this negativity towards weather add-ons because they use a global model. You have the best of both worlds - MSFS local weather model with the world full of cumulus and unrealistic turbulence, or an adding like AS that displays many more cloudtypes and has better turbulence effects.

Absolutely agree. I've been using AS since FSX times and was always fantastic and as accurate as it could be. Not sure what some would expect though. Even this version for MSFS is good as it gets and looks much nicer than competition I've been using for a while and definitely better than MSFS weather....My opinion of course. Just had initial hick ups , but I definitely like what I see. Hopefully they will improve few things here and there as long as Asobo let's them. 

Alex 

I have never used Active Sky before and downloaded a version from their website to have access to the documentation.

The user guide mentions a "Common Data Export Path" and I want to know if I can use ASFS with Little Navmap. LNM options has a setting for the Active Sky Weather File.

Is this usable for the goal I have in mind?

6 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

Thank you for that. These are the reasons so many of us are loudly complaining about these "reviews".  I wouldn't like AS either based on those reviews, fortunately I have used it correctly.

@Sethos - this is what I was referring to - do you believe it is fair for an influencer to provide  a negative review based upon erroneous data? Their reviews get out to all of their subscribers creating a false narrative and some of us users are the only voice to correct that.

It is a shame for HiFi if only the inteligencia of AVsim have the capability to run the software. 

// 5800X3D // RTX 3090 // 64GB RAM // HP REVERB G2 //

5 minutes ago, Gogolathome said:

I have never used Active Sky before and downloaded a version from their website to have access to the documentation.

The user guide mentions a "Common Data Export Path" and I want to know if I can use ASFS with Little Navmap. LNM options has a setting for the Active Sky Weather File.

Is this usable for the goal I have in mind?

If LNM has this option, why wouldn't it be usable? Basically any other addon can read a .txt file that is regularly updated by ActiveSky with the (live or historical) weather data it uses.

3 hours ago, fppilot said:

In these now 44 pages and counting in this topic is there any good summary or accepted conclusion on changes, improvements, additions for textures?  ex, bldg CU, TCU, CB, ACCAS?

It's a cheap addon, just buy it and get the features it does better than MSFS, as well as the option of default live weather.

I adored MSFS weather in the early days, but they ruined it.  ASFS, Rex and xEnviro bring back the clouds missing from live weather, as well as the great turbulence effects in ASFS.

On balance I get more satisfaction seeing a better depicted sky, than I do seeing local weather in the distance 

• Like 5

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

Hi guys quick question turbulence msfs settings (in menu low, medium, realistic) doesnt matter when using AS with AS Preset control right ? because everything is under AS control.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

I have not made may mind yet... And I have a dilemma... Sometimes after reading things here from Avsim, I have decided that I will buy it, and then I go to Youtube watching some reviews, and I don´t buy it.. 🙃. I have read complaints about clouds being flat. Well, as I watch the sky here in northern Europe, the sky and the clouds are as flat as flat can be. And seeing those videos and pictures about solid overcast layers, that it is it should look like. Not like those dramatic volcanic cumulus things with the default weather. So one could say that I´m on the fence here.... I keep following the debate some more...

Edited by Virtpilot

Tapani Österberg