Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mike_CFII_MEL

Level D 767 or PMDG MD11

Hi all..I have the PMDG 737 600/700 and the PMDG 747 for FS9. I am interested in buying another plane for FSX, and am wondering do I wait for the MD11 (coming soon.. but don't know when) from PMDG or should I buy Level D 767? Any thoughts?ThanksBob LeBoeuf

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

You can't go wrong with the LDS, it is one of very few aircraft by which all new releases are judged against. It has been a masterpiece since the 767 PIC and continues to impress me all the way up to FSX.I think it is always wise to wait for a little while after a new release in order to make sure that all of the bugs, if any, are worked out.

My nod goes to PMDG, even though it's still a week or two (hopefully that's all it is) away from release. I have the Level D and also the PMDG 747X, and while either of your choices will no doubt give you lots of rich simming experience (i.e. you won't go wrong with either) I think PMDG has just a little more something in their products.Congrats in advance on your upcoming purchase.

Level-D 767 available and fully optimized for both FS9 and FSX. It runs so smoothly.PMDG MD-11, untried, unavailable and probably much more expensive.Your choice ;)

Some good points here... the Level D is here now, and I know guys who have it and enjoy it...Thanks againBob LeBoeuf

Dave, you slam our plane (unjustly I might add, you can't possibly know any of the things you're claiming) and yet you have our supporter banner in your signature... Bob, I think one thing that might sway you to pick the MD-11 is how different it is from the two Boeings you already own. If you know how to fly the NG and 744 well, you'll be able to fly the 767 almost without reading the manual. The MD-11 is an entirely different animal and will be something new and challenging for you that's completely separate from the two Boeings you have.

Here's a solution:Get the LDS 767 'and' the PMDG MD11.I've been using both for some time now, and they're both great planes. Bryan

>Hi all..>>I have the PMDG 737 600/700 and the PMDG 747 for FS9. I am>interested in buying another plane for FSX, and am wondering>do I wait for the MD11 (coming soon.. but don't know when)>from PMDG or should I buy Level D 767? Any thoughts?>>Thanks>>Bob LeBoeufBob at this moment simple LDS 767 and prepare yourself of the Flightsim journey of your life...Also be prepared to do some study because this one is so close to the real deal ;-)After that you can checkout the PMDG11 when released because still in development (both are just two other aircraft and can't be compared)...So no opinion on that one.http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/awf1/sign.jpg

>Dave, you slam our plane (unjustly I might add, you can't>possibly know any of the things you're claiming) and yet you>have our supporter banner in your signature... >Because while taking about LDS he is in fact on LSD ... :-lol There's no need for these comments. Dave simply noted that the MD-11 is untried, unavailable, and probably much more expensive, but I don't think he was trying to bash it. The MD-11 IS untried where it matters most, which is in the general Flight Sim community. I'm more than confident that there are some very skilled beta testers checking things out, and I know that the folks at PMDG are top notch, but add-ons have been released on numerous occasions with bugs, and sometimes it is wise to wait until the community has there say and bugs get worked out. He also said it is unavailable, which it is right now. And as for it being more expensive, I don't know, and I don't care. I will definitely be in line to buy it as long as it is not obscenely overpriced.

I've purchased and used both from the very early days and both companies are excellent at what they do. I do think LDS produce a better model. The 767 is very smooth high frames in FSX but find the PMDG 747 a resource hog with poor frames in FSX.

Get the 767... IMHO it's the #1 airliner sim for FSX. The PMDG 747 and Coolsky Super 80 Pro follow closely behind.Who know's with the MD11, it's not out yet.

>Dave, you slam our plane (unjustly I might add, you can't>possibly know any of the things you're claiming) and yet you>have our supporter banner in your signature... >Ryan, with respect I have not SLAMMED your plane I have merely stated fact.Your MD-11 is not available and the LVLD is.Take nothing away from your nearest rival, Level-D have optimized their aircraft to also run in FSX with the very best fps of all.I bear your MD-11 banner because I expect to purchase it when it appears.Now go and chill out with a beer mate eh? ;) You must have had a hard day?Now you tell me - WILL IT BE MORE EXPENSIVE? (Not forgetting that you get BOTH LVLD versions, for the same price)Now ask yourself, will PMDG match that?All I was doing was to answer the O.P's question :)

The 767X can give you hours of fun, whatever the success of the MD-11. The MD-11 will provide a nice variant on the Boeing way of doing things, probably with slightly better graphics and sound quality than the 767X and - hopefully - with fewer of the performance issues that bedevil the 747X. So the logical thing to do, I suggest, is get the 767X now and enjoy it; then take a view in light of people's reactions when the MD-11 comes out. It won't ever be "instead of" the 767X, just "in addition to" it.Tim

Level d and PMDG are both good developers with proven records of supporting their products.It depends on what criteria you are going to make your choice.The level D B767 has been out for some time. There is a lot of tech. support and commentary for this aircraft and the price is known and is reasonable.I'm sure that the PMDG rendition of the MD-11 will "knock your socks off", and it is a considerably different aircraft than the Boeings. The price "MAY" give you heart palpitations LOL,that remains to be seen.Ron

I'd also say get the Level-D plane, even if it is solely based on performance. The 767 is also more versatile than the MD-11, more suitable for domestic and regional flights. I think it is just more fun in general. The price of the 767 is half of what the MD-11 is likely to cost. I really doubt the MD-11 will be twice as good(I don't see how that's possible).I've got hopes that the MD-11 won't kill my system like the 747X tends to do, but I may be hoping a couple more months until I can get myself a new computer. PMDG makes great quality, but it has a great impact on your FPS.FSX has a huge lack of detailed airliners. Companies are ignoring Airbus it seems. The couple very detailed Airbuses in development appear to be going nowhere... maybe FSXI? I look forward to Level-D's 757 and PMDG's 737NG. Those are two very big holes in my hangar.If anyone's looking for ideas for something to build, an A310 or A340 would be cool :D

The one thing that puts LDS over PMDG is that, on my system anyway, the LDS runs much more smoothly, FPS? I don't know, I don't look at them. Otherwise both PMDG and LDS are both top notch aircraft sim manufacturers.

If a flyer has 'accomplished' either the LDS or the PMDG airplane, the mastery of a Boeing is in the bag. Even a 777 will be just more of the same. The differences the MD-11 brings to the table will be plenty to keep a technical flyer thoroughly enamored for quite a while. MD approached its FMS with a whole different tilt. If a user likes this kind of techniciety, this is the next frontier. BTW, the thing hand flys like a dream. Nothing like the Boeing 744 where pitch trimmin' is akin to livin'. There are some real world MD-11 pilots on-board that are already using the sim to check out real world procedures. We ground-pounders can only believe 'em, but it feels right. For instance, right now we're trying to determine how far off track will NAV (LNAV for the Boeing guys) allow the FMS recapture that track. The books are out. The realism will be ThaT good (Take a pretty picture too).

>>I've got hopes that the MD-11 won't kill my system like the>747X tends to do, but I may be hoping a couple more months>until I can get myself a new computer. PMDG makes great>quality, but it has a great impact on your FPS.>I'm running the PMDG MD11 on an Asus G1S notebook (that's right a notebook :-) ) and performance is more than satisfactory.That's my experience, though. We of course know that that there are a million different setups out there, but for me me at least performance is not an issue.Cheers,Bryan

>>I'm running the PMDG MD11 on an Asus G1S notebook (that's>right a notebook :-) ) and performance is more than>satisfactory.How does the FPS compare to the LDS767. I usually turn off most eye candy (autogen,scenery,AI) with the LDS767 to get the FPS up to a solid 25fps.