Sign in to follow this  
Pe11e

RealismShaderPack v1.1

That's hilarious. On a flight back from Iceland two weeks ago, I paid very close attention to cloud shadows and the shading/brightness of clouds :smile:

Yup. I've done the same on commercial flights. On thing I noticed yesterday is that structure shadows are always darkest, and that the ambient humidity affects the brightness of the terrain and lightens the cloud shadows as well. Maybe that's for RDP V 3.7 in 2018 ...

BasementFlyGuy

GA home cockpit running X-Plane 11 (and sometimes P3D)

Blog: www.ontheglideslope.net

YouTube: OnTheGlideslope Channel

Facebook: On The Glideslope

Yup. I've done the same on commercial flights.

I also sometimes snigger when flying into London's typical overcast as I wonder whether the crew have toned down their weather settings to make the arrival experience somewhat smoother. :smile:

...On thing I noticed yesterday is that structure shadows are always darkest, and that...

That's what I call 'self shadowing'. Its when a cloud gets big enough and/or dense enough to block light from its own inner regions. usually the surface will reflect more at the same time because theres more ice in the water vapor(in the upper regions). This will sometimes happen with smaller clouds if the weather is right but often the smaller clouds are more foglike. They have to grow to start reflecting and self shadowing. and the direction from which you see them plays a role as well. Cloud appearance is greatly influenced by whats behind it from your perspective. A cloud that appears really dark up against a very light lower sky can appear fairly bright against a darker background.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

When using the Shader Pack everything was great until I tried to fly in the U.K. I use the Horizon/Playsim photo scenery and JustFlight's Revolution X for autogen, but since installing the Shader Pack all my U.K autogen has disappeared, despite the relevant files still being in the photo scenery folders! Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Ian 

The only "drawback" of this tool is: the bug inside P3D with the shadow drawing depending upon the viewpoint and -angle is more pronounced now :Devil:

Yes, I agree. This REALLY annoys me.. it's as if the whole thing (sim) was broken... :sad:

The only "drawback" of this tool is: the bug inside P3D with the shadow drawing depending upon the viewpoint and -angle is more pronounced now :Devil:

Hmmmm, never noticed that bug with the shadow drawing. I'm now interested to see how it looks like and when it happens, probably depending on bunch of variables.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

When using the Shader Pack everything was great until I tried to fly in the U.K. I use the Horizon/Playsim photo scenery and JustFlight's Revolution X for autogen, but since installing the Shader Pack all my U.K autogen has disappeared, despite the relevant files still being in the photo scenery folders! Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Ian

Hi Ian,

When you restore the P3D default files using the RSP tool does everything return to normal? Failing that, have you tried reinstating the backup of the ShadersHLSL folder. Hopefully you did create a backup. This advice has been offered in several posts in this thread as a guaranteed way of recovery should something not work out as expected. Remember, this utility has been offered for testing as version 1.1rc. As such it is still in Beta, so you are using it at your own risk. Accordingly, it's very important to ensure you have created all the relevant backups before experimenting.

Having said all that I am not sure that Pe11e, the author, had photoscenery in mind when he developed this lighting enhancing utility. So far, I think it is probably fair to say that most of us have experienced very few significant problems, if any. Indeed the transformation to P3D has been quite remarkable! So, it seems likely that something unique to your installation has contributed in some way to the issues being experienced.

The utility, as I understand it, is only designed to modify certain files in the ShadersHLSL folder - four, I believe - so the disappearance of your UK autogen is baffling. Is there an entry for Revolution X in P3D's Scenery.cfg file? Is it still active in the Scenery library?

Regards,

Mike

As Mike said, I did not tested RSP on photoscenery for a very good reason - I don't have any!  :smile:

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Thanks to the RSP I spent a good portion of a 45 minute drive across Texas today looking at and anyalyzing the qualities of cloud and structure shadows. I know nobody on the planet outside of this forum would probably appreciate this.

Oh, yeah?  Check it out (I'm a member)  https://cloudappreciationsociety.org/

Mike A.

• Upvote 2

Oh, yeah?  Check it out (I'm a member)  https://cloudappreciationsociety.org/

Mike A.

That's fantastic.

As for photorealistic, RSP works just fine with Mega Utah and Mega PA, at least for me.

BasementFlyGuy

GA home cockpit running X-Plane 11 (and sometimes P3D)

Blog: www.ontheglideslope.net

YouTube: OnTheGlideslope Channel

Facebook: On The Glideslope

RSP works fine for me with the Horizon UK photoscenery, with treescapes and custom autogen.

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Hmmmm, never noticed that bug with the shadow drawing. I'm now interested to see how it looks like and when it happens, probably depending on bunch of variables.

Some people do recognize it, some do not. I bet it is there always. There were already some threads about this here and over at the Prepar3d forums, here is a video illustrating the issue (or one of them), the video is not my own:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxm_Iml2gRg

this also happens much closer to the aircraft, so it seems not to be related to the shadow drawing distance. In my case, I notice it often when using the 3rd person view of my plane, it can happen that in the cockpit view, the coastline in front is in bright sunshine while it suddenly has a cloud shadow on it after switching to the outside view. Rare, but annoying. Anyway, wrong thread here...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Some people do recognize it, some do not. I bet it is there always. There were already some threads about this here and over at the Prepar3d forums, here is a video illustrating the issue (or one of them), the video is not my own:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxm_Iml2gRg

this also happens much closer to the aircraft, so it seems not to be related to the shadow drawing distance. In my case, I notice it often when using the 3rd person view of my plane, it can happen that in the cockpit view, the coastline in front is in bright sunshine while it suddenly has a cloud shadow on it after switching to the outside view. Rare, but annoying. Anyway, wrong thread here...

I have the same issue. Have a bunch of videos and pictures illustrating the problem, but I have been to lazy to post it. "Glad" someone else did, as it shows a bug in P3D.

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.