Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aerdt

FS9 still going strong

I am (positively) surprised and amazed that after almost two(!) years, we still have a lot of NEW FS9 addons and continued support by add-on developers.I stand corrected when I posted in a few threads that FS9 developers would shift towards FSX and that FS9 would become legacy as soon as FSX shipped. In fact, I still prefer flying the heavies FS9 anytime over FSX, mainly because of frame rate issues, but also that my favorite add-on for FS9 have not been ported or re-developed for FSX (PMDG 737 for example).I cannot recall any legacy version of MSFS being supported longer and more passionately by the community and developers alike.Pat

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

>I am (positively) surprised and amazed that after almost>two(!) years, we still have a lot of NEW FS9 addons and>continued support by add-on developers.>Yes FS9 is still alive and I wonder for how long? For me FS9 is going strong because FSX is goung so weak on my hardware.>I stand corrected when I posted in a few threads that FS9>developers would shift towards FSX and that FS9 would become>legacy as soon as FSX shipped. In fact, I still prefer flyingI thought that I should have left FS9 before christmas at the time FSX was out. Also I was surprised to see new addons for FS9 like GE when FSX was only months away. I asked who in the world do they think will buy it when FSX is coming? Answer me for example. Since FSX is worthless on my system.AMD 64 3200+1 Gb RAM 400 MHzNvidia 6600GT 256M DDR3Two IDE HDWin XP Home

It's only good for low and slow on my system. Once you tack on a decent looking airport, a complex bird and some AI watch the slide show.

Yep - long live FS9. FSX is the first FS version that I have not embraced (since FS3!!). It is installed on the hard drive as a curiosity. All my enjoyment is with FS9 and the add-ons keep coming!I guess I am no longer prepared to "throw out the baby with the bath water". There is now too much $$$ invested in add-ons, that they take precedence over the actually "operating system" that is FS.

I couldnt agree more. I actually have a decent system and FSX still runs like crap on my system. You cant beat FS9 with ASV6, GEPro, FE, with an awesome add-on like the DA Fokker F70/100!!

I totally agree. I tried FSX for about 6 months but I just was not happy with the jerkies even after I added memory and a better video card.I can now run FS9 with nearly every slider all the way to the right and get 25+ FPS with most aircraft in most locations. Plus, I can fly my all time favorite aircraft, the EagleSoft Premier I which they are not going to make for or port into FSX.So I am BACK TO FS9 probably until FSXI comes out. By then I will be ready to get a new computer. RichardS

FS9 is stable and has hundreds of mods on my system by now that make it just great. I have a modern PC with SLI video cards etc that can handle FSX. I just have no patience for waiting for addons to upgrade etc and I still find FS9 way, way more than adequate for my needs. Other than than the fancy water and some new views, I dont get much out of FSX. (I have it. Never use it.)eric

Totally agree. The only thing that I am really, really missing from FSX are the dynamic movements in the cockpit that really visualize the forces while taking off or in turbulence very well. And the cloud shadows.I think Active Camera had those "head" effects as well. Is anyone aware of a similar add-on effect in FS9? (The Active Camera dev seem to be defunct and I am not sure, if they still answer to give me my replacement key as my hardware has long changed since I installed AC last.)Pat

Active Camera HAS those same effects. Simply check head delay and you will get turblence, ground bumps, etc. In VC mode the cockpit moves differently relative to your head position. In moderate to severe tubulence, with the high frame rates and smoothness of FS9, I've found myself feeling motion sick after a long period of bumpiness!

>Active Camera HAS those same effects. Simply check head>delay and you will get turblence, ground bumps, etc. In VC>mode the cockpit moves differently relative to your head>position. >It's not as good. I've used them both (FS9/FSX), a long time for comparison. RealAir aircraft for FS9 have some improved cockpit effects also. But this is basically default in FSX. The sensation of moving air effects around mountainous areas is also much better in FSX.But since I'm kind of stuck with FS9 at the moment, when I actually sim fly; I did have a very pleasant flight the other day at 42 fps. But using the "phrase" from some simmers who gravitate from one sim to another................FS9 did seem somewhat "sterile" in regards to the sensation of air movement compared to FSX. Besides, I always found "active camera" to be annoying at higher head latency settings. The stock FSX is near perfect in this regard.L.Adamsonnote: the use of "sterile" is often used as a description when switching from MSFS to X-Plane. I think these simmers just see the word a lot, and use it over and over. IMO, the MSFS series isn't sterile at all, compared to the other brand X. MSFS is full of life! :)

I am back to fs9 also and I am looking for active camera. I couldn't find it in search. Is it still available?Don

I am still using FS9 almost exclusively. I hope FSXI is not quite as ambitious as FSX was and accommodates many more of us FS users a year or two after release. Gary

Another FS9 here! :)>Totally agree. The only thing that I am really, really>missing from FSX are the dynamic movements in the cockpit that>really visualize the forces while taking off or in turbulence>very well. And the cloud shadows.Plus the ground textures resolution of course...Best regards,Rafal

Never really liked the head latency effects in Active Camera (although it's worth getting for the mouse panning alone as the freeware proggy from Flight 1 doesn't work nearly as well) but the effect is very well implemented in all of RealAir's FS9 add-ons...and since those add-ons represent the zenith of FS9 add-on planes afaic I pretty much never fly anything else... :)

I'm using Track IR 4 and I would never fly without it again.And it's FS9 for me too and will so be in the future.I hope FS11 will be something altogether new and not based on FSX.

another FS9 user here!im getting excellent fps on my system with add on detailed airports flying the wonderful PMDG 747with all the add ons and the plethora of things available for FS2004 i am in flight sim heaven!

I'm still using FS9 by default. I ordered FSX about six months after it came out, but amazon uk do not send software directly to where I'm living, so I had it sent to my brother-in-law in the UK. He received it and re-addressed it but it never got here, so most likely some light fingered thief stole it between the UK and here. He never registered the package so I could not have it traced. I believe I have a system that would run it.Asus P5B MotherboardE6750 core duo cpuNvidia Ge7950GT2x250Gb sata drivesI installed the FSX demo and the update when I had my old system and it just about ran. I did think the flight dynamics and the joystick handling was much better than FS9, but I'm not convinced that the textures are better. But having never seen it live in front of me, I can't with hand on heart be absolutely sure, Comments on a new thread would be appreciated if I'm to shell out more money this year and re-buy FSX once more.Having said that I have to say I'm still very happy with FS9 and have just recently added ASV6 and GEPro V2 from Flight1 which makes a world of difference to the simulation.Take care all.

I have both and purchased FSX from the start and it has been on and off my system a few times.I am no longer interested in FSX as it has way too many quirks for me.The cost of ownership compared to what I have already invested in FS9 is also a consideration .So given the fasct that I run FS9 full throttle with most 3rd party add ons available FSX has found a nice little home on my bookshelf and off my system for good.Andy

I'm having so much fun flying cutting-edge airliners (DA's Fokker and the Maddog 2006) between first-rate add-on airports lately that I've decided to skip FSX for now. Every time I'm tempted by that FSX box in Best Buy, I find myself thinking about how many AES credits that $40 could buy, and I pass it up. I just wish Level-D would reconsider their decision to make the upcoming 757 FSX-only, as I think they're missing a good chunk of the add-on airliner market....John G.

I still haven't even purchased FSX. FS2004 still fills all my flightsim needs. At this point in my life, I can't be constantly building/upgrading my PC to meet the "new" version of games. FSX does nothing new for me. Better graphics are nice, but I can't run them on my hardware anyway. Other than that, there are no new features that I don't already have in fs2004 with add-ons. I'm just finally able to run fs2004 "almost" maxed out on my PC. After this, I think I will be remaining at least 1 flightsim version behind (or more) for a long, long time.

The mere fact that all addons are still dual platform speaks for itself.I'm an iron flyer- 737 and up - you just simply can't do that on FSX. There's nothing quite like an FS9 approach into a detailed airport going liquid smooth frames all the way. That aspect is way more important to me than bloom or gimmicks like moving traffic. FSX will be there one day, maybe after the intel Nehalem cpu's come on stream, but for now all it can offer me is some low GA flying over FTX Blue.

I just spent almost $1,800 building a brand new box (specs below) -- and that doesn't count the 3 flat panels I already have -- and I have no intention of flying anything other than FS9. People in the hardware forum can't believe I'm not flying FSX!I have found that FSX is perfect in at least one situation: the box is the perfect width to prop up a shelf I have. No kidding -- that's where it's been for almost a year and a half. :-D

Still happily running FS9 on triple monitors with my "Smithsonian" AMD 1.8 sys. My total FS hardware/software budget for 2008 is zero- that is unless PMDG announces the long awaited new 737NG!Alex Reid