Sign in to follow this  
aerdt

FS9 still going strong

I am (positively) surprised and amazed that after almost two(!) years, we still have a lot of NEW FS9 addons and continued support by add-on developers.I stand corrected when I posted in a few threads that FS9 developers would shift towards FSX and that FS9 would become legacy as soon as FSX shipped. In fact, I still prefer flying the heavies FS9 anytime over FSX, mainly because of frame rate issues, but also that my favorite add-on for FS9 have not been ported or re-developed for FSX (PMDG 737 for example).I cannot recall any legacy version of MSFS being supported longer and more passionately by the community and developers alike.Pat

>I am (positively) surprised and amazed that after almost>two(!) years, we still have a lot of NEW FS9 addons and>continued support by add-on developers.>Yes FS9 is still alive and I wonder for how long? For me FS9 is going strong because FSX is goung so weak on my hardware.>I stand corrected when I posted in a few threads that FS9>developers would shift towards FSX and that FS9 would become>legacy as soon as FSX shipped. In fact, I still prefer flyingI thought that I should have left FS9 before christmas at the time FSX was out. Also I was surprised to see new addons for FS9 like GE when FSX was only months away. I asked who in the world do they think will buy it when FSX is coming? Answer me for example. Since FSX is worthless on my system.AMD 64 3200+1 Gb RAM 400 MHzNvidia 6600GT 256M DDR3Two IDE HDWin XP Home

It's only good for low and slow on my system. Once you tack on a decent looking airport, a complex bird and some AI watch the slide show.

Yep - long live FS9. FSX is the first FS version that I have not embraced (since FS3!!). It is installed on the hard drive as a curiosity. All my enjoyment is with FS9 and the add-ons keep coming!I guess I am no longer prepared to "throw out the baby with the bath water". There is now too much $$$ invested in add-ons, that they take precedence over the actually "operating system" that is FS.

Graeme Butler

Guest fireman20

I couldnt agree more. I actually have a decent system and FSX still runs like crap on my system. You cant beat FS9 with ASV6, GEPro, FE, with an awesome add-on like the DA Fokker F70/100!!

I totally agree. I tried FSX for about 6 months but I just was not happy with the jerkies even after I added memory and a better video card.I can now run FS9 with nearly every slider all the way to the right and get 25+ FPS with most aircraft in most locations. Plus, I can fly my all time favorite aircraft, the EagleSoft Premier I which they are not going to make for or port into FSX.So I am BACK TO FS9 probably until FSXI comes out. By then I will be ready to get a new computer. RichardS

FS9 is stable and has hundreds of mods on my system by now that make it just great. I have a modern PC with SLI video cards etc that can handle FSX. I just have no patience for waiting for addons to upgrade etc and I still find FS9 way, way more than adequate for my needs. Other than than the fancy water and some new views, I dont get much out of FSX. (I have it. Never use it.)eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Totally agree. The only thing that I am really, really missing from FSX are the dynamic movements in the cockpit that really visualize the forces while taking off or in turbulence very well. And the cloud shadows.I think Active Camera had those "head" effects as well. Is anyone aware of a similar add-on effect in FS9? (The Active Camera dev seem to be defunct and I am not sure, if they still answer to give me my replacement key as my hardware has long changed since I installed AC last.)Pat

Active Camera HAS those same effects. Simply check head delay and you will get turblence, ground bumps, etc. In VC mode the cockpit moves differently relative to your head position. In moderate to severe tubulence, with the high frame rates and smoothness of FS9, I've found myself feeling motion sick after a long period of bumpiness!

>Active Camera HAS those same effects. Simply check head>delay and you will get turblence, ground bumps, etc. In VC>mode the cockpit moves differently relative to your head>position. >It's not as good. I've used them both (FS9/FSX), a long time for comparison. RealAir aircraft for FS9 have some improved cockpit effects also. But this is basically default in FSX. The sensation of moving air effects around mountainous areas is also much better in FSX.But since I'm kind of stuck with FS9 at the moment, when I actually sim fly; I did have a very pleasant flight the other day at 42 fps. But using the "phrase" from some simmers who gravitate from one sim to another................FS9 did seem somewhat "sterile" in regards to the sensation of air movement compared to FSX. Besides, I always found "active camera" to be annoying at higher head latency settings. The stock FSX is near perfect in this regard.L.Adamsonnote: the use of "sterile" is often used as a description when switching from MSFS to X-Plane. I think these simmers just see the word a lot, and use it over and over. IMO, the MSFS series isn't sterile at all, compared to the other brand X. MSFS is full of life! :)

I am back to fs9 also and I am looking for active camera. I couldn't find it in search. Is it still available?Don

I am still using FS9 almost exclusively. I hope FSXI is not quite as ambitious as FSX was and accommodates many more of us FS users a year or two after release. Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Another FS9 here! :)>Totally agree. The only thing that I am really, really>missing from FSX are the dynamic movements in the cockpit that>really visualize the forces while taking off or in turbulence>very well. And the cloud shadows.Plus the ground textures resolution of course...Best regards,Rafal

Guest Zevious Zoquis

Never really liked the head latency effects in Active Camera (although it's worth getting for the mouse panning alone as the freeware proggy from Flight 1 doesn't work nearly as well) but the effect is very well implemented in all of RealAir's FS9 add-ons...and since those add-ons represent the zenith of FS9 add-on planes afaic I pretty much never fly anything else... :)

I'm using Track IR 4 and I would never fly without it again.And it's FS9 for me too and will so be in the future.I hope FS11 will be something altogether new and not based on FSX.