Sign in to follow this  

We NEED an Airbus

From a business standpoint, a PMDG 777 would be a sound decision. In terms of sales, it would make a killing. Every major airline around the globe operates the triple, so PMDG could expect high volume sales globally due to familiarity and poplularity of the airplane. Of equal importance, there is no competition in the market. (The PSS 777 is terrible, so it doesn't count.) Ryan Maziarz has stated that the 777 cockpit systems are similar to the 747-400, so they could save money on product development but still charge $60-70 USD.
That's not at all what I said. We wouldn't just take old 744 code and reuse it - I was referring to them being similar when I asked why people were clammoring for a 777 when it really doesn't look or operate much differently from the perspective of the pilots sitting in the cockpit.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

hi guys,I can't wait for a proper Airbus series.To be frank: If that would mean PMDG stopping the JS or NGX in order to put all their resources onto the Airbus family it would be welcomed by me :)(Sadly I know this is not a realistic option)What worries me is that development seems to take so long (also/even more at Level D) that either the airbusses (B757) are old news or FS9/FSX are history.Untill then I'll enjoy the B747, MD11, 763 and the DA Fokkers :)

The problem with an Airbus is that there will be basically no market share by the time PMDG develop one.Almost everyone has a Wilco Bus, and the people that are serious enough about using a "hardcore" Airbus will buy the Airsimmer when it is released. The people who are less serious may take a look at the Aerosoft Bus.By the time PMDG produce an Airbus (assuming it comes in early 2011 based on Robert's estimates of 2 releases per year), Airsimmer will probably have completed the A318/A319/A320/A321 for both FS9 and FSX, and be working on the A330/A340.Honestly, I think it would be a mistake, especially after seeing how advanced the Airsimmer bus is.

The problem with an Airbus is that there will be basically no market share by the time PMDG develop one.Almost everyone has a Wilco Bus, and the people that are serious enough about using a "hardcore" Airbus will buy the Airsimmer when it is released. The people who are less serious may take a look at the Aerosoft Bus.By the time PMDG produce an Airbus (assuming it comes in early 2011 based on Robert's estimates of 2 releases per year), Airsimmer will probably have completed the A318/A319/A320/A321 for both FS9 and FSX, and be working on the A330/A340.Honestly, I think it would be a mistake, especially after seeing how advanced the Airsimmer bus is.
I accept your reasoning but I don't think you are correct. For example, I do not have the Wilco Airbus simply because everything I have read suggests it is mediocre at best. I will consider the airsimmer, but only when enough people have tried it, and liked it, and even then I would have no problems flying (and buying) the same aircraft from different vendors. As for marketability, had anybody asked PMDG if the MD-11 was the right aircraft to produce the answer should have been a resounding "NO!", but then I think people tend to forget two very important facts about PMDG; 1) Their reputation is such that people will try their aircraft even when they are outside their comfort zone. 2) their quality is such that the rave reviews from people in group one means others will take the chance. For these reasons, I predict that the J41 will be a huge success, and by convinicing big iron pilots to try the non GA alternatives, will boost the sales of competitors products such as the ATR72, CRJ and greatly increase the market regional air.

That's not at all what I said. We wouldn't just take old 744 code and reuse it - I was referring to them being similar when I asked why people were clammoring for a 777 when it really doesn't look or operate much differently from the perspective of the pilots sitting in the cockpit.
Quoted From a post by Ryan Maziarz last week:"QUOTE (Tabs @ Aug 11 2009, 10:31 PM) I will never understand why people who already have the 744 for instance clamor for a 777 like it's some sort of incredibly different airplane. It isn't from the perspective of the flight deck - there's refinements for sure, but it's basically exactly the same cockpit systems."My comment was, "Ryan Maziarz has stated that the 777 cockpit systems are similar to the 747-400." How is my comment "not at all what [you] said?"

I accept your reasoning but I don't think you are correct. For example, I do not have the Wilco Airbus simply because everything I have read suggests it is mediocre at best. I will consider the airsimmer, but only when enough people have tried it, and liked it, and even then I would have no problems flying (and buying) the same aircraft from different vendors. As for marketability, had anybody asked PMDG if the MD-11 was the right aircraft to produce the answer should have been a resounding "NO!", but then I think people tend to forget two very important facts about PMDG; 1) Their reputation is such that people will try their aircraft even when they are outside their comfort zone. 2) their quality is such that the rave reviews from people in group one means others will take the chance. For these reasons, I predict that the J41 will be a huge success, and by convinicing big iron pilots to try the non GA alternatives, will boost the sales of competitors products such as the ATR72, CRJ and greatly increase the market regional air.
A accept your reasoning as well, but you are talking about two different kinds of plane types:1) The MD-11 and J41 are somewhat rare planes, however since they are unique and have not been developed to PMDG-level standards before, they have sold (or will sell) very well.2) The A320 is a widely popular aircraft that is currently being developed by Airsimmer, to what many say PMDG-level standards.What I am saying is that because the MD-11 and J41 were never really developed into a true "hardcore" aircraft, they sold very well. If Level-D (for example) decided to develop a MD-11 and release it in 2011 for FS9/FSX it probably would not sell very well because the market demand has already been mostly satisfied by PMDG. This is why I think it was stupid for CaptainSim to release the 767. Even if CS was a top-level developer, it wouldn't sell very well because the market for a 767 was fulfilled by the Level-D 767.It is the same for the A320. Since PMDG are going to be late to the game, there will not be enough market share because most people would have bought the Airsimmer A320.

Guest craneduitre

From my point of view, the NGX is THE thing to focus on.Long range aircraft are fine, but I don't want to spend 12 hours in front of my PC (considering you want to copy real life flights).A quick 1-2 hours flight across Europe in a nice 737, if the best experience. (as well with an a320 familly bus).The Dash 8 is a good choice as well. I love my Flight1 ATR.Can't wait for the NGX.Matt.

From my point of view, the NGX is THE thing to focus on.Long range aircraft are fine, but I don't want to spend 12 hours in front of my PC (considering you want to copy real life flights).A quick 1-2 hours flight across Europe in a nice 737, if the best experience. (as well with an a320 familly bus).The Dash 8 is a good choice as well. I love my Flight1 ATR.Can't wait for the NGX.Matt.
Well said! Guess the NGX will becomte THE workhorse for me too.Andreas

My wishlist for PMDG add-ons:1) The 737 - New Generation, also called Classics2) The BAe 146 or Avro ARJ3) The 737 - Next Generation

What I am saying is that because the MD-11 and J41 were never really developed into a true "hardcore" aircraft, they sold very well. If Level-D (for example) decided to develop a MD-11 and release it in 2011 for FS9/FSX it probably would not sell very well because the market demand has already been mostly satisfied by PMDG. This is why I think it was stupid for CaptainSim to release the 767. Even if CS was a top-level developer, it wouldn't sell very well because the market for a 767 was fulfilled by the Level-D 767.
No it's not stupid. They already had the 757, and as this one is quite similar to the 767 all they needed to do was to create a new model... Especially as CS is not the kind of addon developer that really cares much to "get it right", as you'd expect from PMDG or Level-D. The 767 is even supposed to have the same bugs as the 757...I don't like how Captain Sim works neither, but from an economic point of view the 767 propably does make sense. Especially simmers that are into fancy graphics will buy it.And back to topic: My biggest wish right now would be that PMDG decides to release the 737NG for FS9 as well. That would be amazing news for me.

Guest hangar744
We NEED an Airbus
Do we???(No hard feelings, nothing personal)sincerely and respectfully,delcom

Guest Feather
Do we???
I don

2) The BAe 146 or Avro ARJ
I second that - along with a Dash 8 Q300, has it yet been announced what varient PMDG will do for the Dash please ?Regards.

"SWDT"Sign your real name. It helps us know that you are in fact real. thanks.Peter Osborn

Peter Osborn