Sign in to follow this  
Guest james_2k

DX10 Runway/Taxiway flickering FIX !

ill write a quick guide in a bit.about the rain: its not for the flickers. but it is for dx10 which this thread is about. and it makes it look way better :)
That guide sounds great - especially since the "here" link in post #1 is taking me to a "no result" page in the Avsim library.If this fixes what I hope it'll fix, your next beer's on me! :(

Paul Skol

Guest james_2k

ok ill write the wee guide tomorrow morning but yeah that file linked above is now superceded bythis which just has a few fixes/tweaks in.you can download that and see if it fixes your dundee flickering (the stock egpn flickers)

Will also test tonight. KORH default is a terrrrrible flickerer.
CONFIRMED!!! :( Checked KORH in DX10 pre-AFCAD, runway edge markings, almost every line on the tarmac, flickering horribly. Where the runway and taxiway overlap and where the runways cross - constant flicker (I think its call Z-fighting or Z-bias competition for real).Opened stock KORH in ADE, added a small concrete taxiway UNDER a building, loaded it in FSX, and bingo. No flickering AT ALL!Super and simple solutions.Let me add some system details:FSX AccelerationREX/GEX/UTXATI Sapphire 1G DDR5 running catalyst 9.11Full screen 1920x1080Q6600@3.4ghz/4GB1066/Vista64

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Guest james_2k

cool, glad to know it does work :)

I'll have to give this a try tonight. I am curious if the progressive taxi function will now work also with this fix in DX10.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Hi all,This is great news! I'm looking forward to the guide to try this myself (never did anything with airport editing before), since the flickering runway/taxiway issue is the primary reason I don't run in DirectX 10 mode. Though it'll be time-consuming to fix each airport, it'll be worth it to finally be able to fly in DX10! :) Great discovery, james_2k!-George

Guest james_2k

Ok i found this tutorial on the ade website which show how to open the stock airport and describes the process for adding taxiways.for our purposes all you need to do is create one concrete one (has to be concrete) anywhere on the airport, can be under a building so you dont see it.so in order:Download Airport Design Editor 9 hereGet the tutorial here (we want Tutorial 2)Once ADE is downloaded, install to your directory of choice, load it up and it will ask for some details like the location of your fsx installation. once thats done you can follow the tutorial to open your airport (substitute your own one)once its open, you have read the tutorial (which is interesting so worth it) you can just put that taxiway somewhere out of sight.Picture here showing EGPT with the fix taxiway. its not out of sight but its just for illustration purposes egpt.th.jpgnow that you have that you can go to 'File'->'Compile Airport' and compile the airport into your Addon Scenery\Scenery folderthen remember to save the airport by going to 'save airport' and choosing a place, i put them in the 'work' directory of ADE. this file DOESNT go in the scenery folders.any problems just ask.Admins would you kindly add the word 'Fix' to the end of the thread title :)

Admins would you kindly add the word 'Fix' to the end of the thread title :)
Done ------------------Guys, this trick is really smart!Thanks James!An important detail to add to the explanations is that you must have FSX SDK installed for ADE to work

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Guest Deimus

This didn't seem to work for me at KRNO. I've added a small concrete taxiway in a really conspicuous spot so I could be assured that it was there, but I'm still getting massive flickering.I'd like to know if this is just user error, so if someone else could see if they can get this to work at KRNO, that would be great.I really hope this is just something on my end, because I'd love to run DX10 for both the effect and performance enhancments, but the flickering just drives me mad.

This didn't seem to work for me at KRNO. I've added a small concrete taxiway in a really conspicuous spot so I could be assured that it was there, but I'm still getting massive flickering.I'd like to know if this is just user error, so if someone else could see if they can get this to work at KRNO, that would be great.I really hope this is just something on my end, because I'd love to run DX10 for both the effect and performance enhancments, but the flickering just drives me mad.
Just open your scenery library, click on the folder where you have put the BGLs (I've created a special folder called CONCRETE with a sub-folder called scenery) just once and then click OK..It will reload the textures including the BGL you've created.It does work for KRNO

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

I've emailed Jon Masterson (ADE) to point this thread out. Maybe he'll have some insight as to why the "fix" works, and at minimum maybe can automatically have ADE add the fix to all AFCADs for FSX. Might be able to automate something...Thanks again!sg

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Brilliant discovery. Potentially brings a new lease of life to FSX. Hopefully some clever soul will be able to automate this process and resolve the problem for once and all, but even if not this is a major step forwards.Now, can anyone get nHancer to override FSX's default AA and AF settings in DX10 ... ?Tim

Guest Deimus
Just open your scenery library, click on the folder where you have put the BGLs (I've created a special folder called CONCRETE with a sub-folder called scenery) just once and then click OK..It will reload the textures including the BGL you've created.It does work for KRNO
I'm not sure what my issue is then, so I may need some hand-holding on this. In this screenshot you can see where I've added a small concrete taxiway just to the left of the stock taxiway, but you can also see where the taxiway markings and the intersection with the runway are still a mess.