Sign in to follow this  
Kosta

Texture flickering / flashing

Nothing crazy, but it pulls it off with no problem whatsoever. No flickering or flashing, and ice effects on:

• Processor: Intel Core i7 2630QM (4 cores / 8 threads) 2.0GHz
  • Graphics card: NVidia GTX 560M, 3GB of Dedicated GDDR5 VRAM
  • Memory: 12GB DDR3

People need to stop bringing up other add-ons unless they're pushing animation limits and have this kind of detail. Otherwise, you're comparing things that really have no parallels.

I don't see flickering in flashing in the default planes #####?!?!?!?

Little sense here guys.

Kyle Rodgers

Well - a few years ago the situation was this:

Minimum - 3GHz or multi-core processor, 1GB RAM, WinXP SP2/Vista. MS FSX with Service Pack 2 installed. Screen Resolution set to 1280x960 or greater.

Best Performance - Dual or Quad Core Processor, 2GB RAM, 512MB Gfx Card, WinXP SP2. -> I have a little bit better system as this but I can't to use all effects PMDG to provide. A one reoson why I bought this product was ice effect. I trust quality of the PMDG and I don't lost it although this isn't a good market policy to let JS41 as it today. As a customer I'm only intrested in about when not about how and I have a right to do so but we can see that ansewere is never.

The good stragedy in future is wait before buy and look a forum. I don't like to be a beta tester because I use my own money so I'll wait that I get what is promised.

This is my point and all best to team of the PMG - they are done very good products for us and I hope hard work will continue. I'll stop my crying now and to consentrate to "fly" with this bird without icing...

Best regards

Rolf Niemi

but a lot of the reason is your own hardware not being able to handle it.

I think those who don't get any issues, should think themselves lucky, and understand that others who "do have the hardware to handle the sim", do get the issues.

Imagine how frustrating it is for those of us with powerful hardware, when we hear people tell us it's the fault of our puny hardware.

Telling others that it's the fault of their hardware isn't a valid argument, especially when PMDG have confirmed that the flickering bezels is a genuine issue. A genuine issue that they had a fix for... but now haven't bothered to give us that fix.

And importantly, PMDG were obviously of the opinion it "should" be fixed, which is precisely why they took the time to develop a fix for it.

I have a great deal of respect for PMDG, but in my opinion this is their worst decision.

I now don't fly the J41 at all, because despite having powerful hardware, that runs any other add-on as smooth as silk, the flickering bezels are too annoying.

This is the worst case of panel flickering I have seen in any add-on ever.

I blame myself of course, to a degree, I trusted PMDG's reputation for making superb add-ons. They have never let me down in the past, so I didn't bother to check the forum for unfixed issues. They have never let me down in the past, so why should they now. I felt confident that if there were any remaining issues PMDG would fix them, as they always do...

That was a mistake! I was wrong!

I won't make that mistake again! Before percussing the 777 or 747v2, I will wait until the add-ons are patched fully.

It's not that it's puny Martin, it's that it can't handle it. Nowhere in any of my posts did I call it puny/small/cheap/weak/otherwise. I simply said it can't handle it.

I can put a 1200 horsepower drag racing car on the course at Monaco, but it's not going to do me any good. Drag cars are really powerful, but only in straight lines. Monaco is hardly that...

It really wasn't a mistake. The ice is an extra feature that most other add-ons don't have (you've lived without it before, so it's not imperative to leave it on), that causes your computer issues. Turn it off and you should be fine. I really don't see what the issue is. It's a great add-on, even without the ice feature, so to call it a mistake is a bit of a dramatic overstatement. Also, to say it's an unfixed issue would mean that you, yourself have also tried to fix issues on your end as well to rule your hardware out, as I doubt many have done in this thread. Drivers, settings, and many other things on your own machine can affect things like this. PMDG has mentioned themselves that they could have fixed it, but should they? Should they really revisit an old project when many people can use it without any issues? That being said, if many people can use the aircraft without any issues, how does that mean the flashing issue is mainly the fault of the aircraft, and not the end user's hardware?

Again, I want everyone to be able to enjoy this thing like I do, but short of buying you a new computer like mine I can't do that. I'm not trying to say they shouldn't fix it. Rather, I'm saying to say it's their fault entirely is incorrect. At least part of the issue exists on your machine.

Kyle Rodgers

really wasn't a mistake. The ice is an extra feature that most other add-ons don't have (you've lived without it before, so it's not imperative to leave it on), that causes your computer issues. Turn it off and you should be fine.

Kyle, you haven't read my post properly.

I'm not talking about the icing issue, I am talking about the bezel flicker. Two entirely different issues, with two different causes.

Many VC's have a degree of flicker, even the NGX does occasionally [as PMDG mentioned] However, the degree of flicker on the J41 is excessive for many. The worst I've seen in any add-on to be honest.

This is a known issue, an issue PMDG have confirmed as an anomaly with the panel. An issue that PMDG have said in the past that they had a fix for. PMDG said they would release the flickering panel fix with SP2. PMDG have now not bothered to release the fix.

You need to understand that there are two major issues with the J41, the icing issue that generates graphical artifacts, and the excessive VC panel flicker around bezels due to a known error in the panel desighn.

The later bothers me because it's excessive, the former doesn't because I don't have that issue, and don't require icing effects anyway.

Most issues are system specific to a degree. But when a developer admits that they made an error in the VC design, that introduced excessive flickering around bezels for many, then it should be fixed....

But to be honest the discussion is pointless, because there's not a cat in hells chance of a fix being released.

PMDG have moved on.

The other point of course, is that a developer doesn't go to the time and trouble of begining to code a service pack 2, unless the developer believes it is required.

A service pack, doesn't suddenly become not required, but it can become abandoned by the developer.

Just had the flicker issue. I don't have any similar issues with any other addon. Stopped it for now by changing VC from gray to beige, but still seems like an issue that could be looked at. Too bad PMDG has closed the book on the J41.

Nathan Carlin

Hi folks,

yeah, also I get the flicker shapes now, especially after creating the next flight plan for the new flight. Totally annoying.

2012-6-25_12-27-51-281.jpg

Does an official PMDG statement exist on this?

Has anybody opened a ticket?

Edit: Creasted a ticket...

3D8-177B3FC6-030B

I restart fsx to get rid of it...

Andreas Berg
pmdg_j41_banner.jpgpmdg_trijet.jpg

PMDG 737NGX -- PMDG J41 -- PMDG 77L/77F/77W -- PMDG B744 -- i7 8700K PC1151 12MB 3.7GHz -- Corsair Cooling H100X -- DDR4 16GB TridentZ -- MSI Z370 Tomahawk -- MSI RTX2080 DUKE 8G OC -- SSD 500GB M.2 -- Thermaltake 550W --

Official statement from PMDG in response to my ticket:

'This happens on some systems when the icing and rain effects are enabled - it pushes past some internal limit in FSX and starts artifacting like that. What you can do is lower the VC model option to medium in the J41 Config Manager - this should stop the problem.'

Hm, the screenshot doesn't show icing conditions outside, but ok.

Nevertheless -- actually I don't want to dispense the icing effects -- there are so many sliders to adjust the graphic card settings... no solution available? I tried the anti aliasing option, to no avail so far... 8^( More research to be done.

Andreas Berg
pmdg_j41_banner.jpgpmdg_trijet.jpg

PMDG 737NGX -- PMDG J41 -- PMDG 77L/77F/77W -- PMDG B744 -- i7 8700K PC1151 12MB 3.7GHz -- Corsair Cooling H100X -- DDR4 16GB TridentZ -- MSI Z370 Tomahawk -- MSI RTX2080 DUKE 8G OC -- SSD 500GB M.2 -- Thermaltake 550W --

What's your bufferpools setting at?

Hello everybody,

I just followed this thread and actually encountered the flickering issue after installing this beautiful aircraft, too.

First of all: Thanks to PMDG for doing such an excellent job in creating add ons for FSX on a very high level!!!! I hope you continue with this work also with the 777 and future add ons and don't get stressed by people asking about release time - I think it's better to get a stable program instead of "throwing it out on the market" just to keep somebody "satisfied"...

Well, to the flickering issue:

I guess I found a workaround: I just loaded a flight with the trike on an airfield and saved that as the standard flight. Then I used flusifix (a small program to optimize FSX settings) and disabled the start screen when loading FSX - I guess there is also a way to disable this screen on start up by using the global settings and uncheck the specific box. Now my FSX loads directly the standard flight with the FSX aircraft when starting the simulator.

Thereafter I just have to choose the JS4100, an airport, weather and so on and the flickering issue is gone - till now.

Conclusion: The problem seems to disappear, when a default aircraft is loaded first. The step mentioned above (deactivating the start screen) is just something to get started faster...

Maybe this works for some of you, too.

Kind regards from Germany,

kriggelb

Christian Baldauf

Hello everybody,

unfortunately the solution described above didn't really help:-(

Still I combined the steps mentioned above with lowering the vc visuals in the configuration manager (VC to medium). As I see it, this will only take away the icing effect in the vc and I can get along with that - now everything works. Still I hope that this issue will be solved by the developers in order to turn the icing effect on again...

Kind regards,

kriggelb

Christian Baldauf

Guys, read my post above. Don't get mixed up between the two different flickering issues.

1. Flickering around instrument bezels. [My issue, can be alleviated with very high AA settings]

2. Graphical anomalies like the one in Andreas screen shot above. [Can be fixed by switching off icing.