Sign in to follow this  
bojote

FSX vSync FIX

No, no. Use FPS Limiter, not limiting FPS is very bad and will cause stuttering, as you already noticed. This fixes tearing, which has nothing to do with the FPS limiting. It does however drop to the next integer, as said by w6kd, but this one is 30, so you are good.
OK Word Not Allowed, Thanks for reply

I use SB on a separate networked PC, so I don't have the problem of having to get out of full screen mode in the sim to access the SB menu.
In my case using a menu on any PC isn't a good choice. I am in a hardware cockpit with no keyboards nor mice and the glass cockpit screens of a 737NG. My hardware transponder has the Mode selector switch and the Ident button, and it is those I wish to use. I don't really see the point of upping the realism with on-line ATC if I have to ruin it again by using screen menus and a mouse, assuming I could get them into my cockpit (which I suppose I could when I have no copilot -- dump a laptop on his seat! <G>).Meanwhile I'll continue on with Radar Contact for ATC, with Its Your Plane running so I can talk to it! ;-)RegardsPete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

In [GRAPHICS] (not DISPLAY) add this:ForceFullScreenVSync=1And yes, its 1, not 'True'and set your driver to let the application manage vsync. just tested now with my nVidia card, and I can confirm it works. Can an ATI user test? I tested also in my laptop which uses a crappy intel card and it also worked... so either I'm completely dilusional or this is one of those 'miracle tweaks' (for ATI users) test and report.
Hello All,Over years i

FSX Computer: I7-980X @4GHZ - Kingston DDR3 1066MHZ (7-7-7-20) - Gainwaird GTX285 1GB - 2x Raptor 150GB (1. Generation)

Stuttering most commonly occurs when disk is reading. Are you using an SSD or a HDD?
Hi Word Not Allowed,i

FSX Computer: I7-980X @4GHZ - Kingston DDR3 1066MHZ (7-7-7-20) - Gainwaird GTX285 1GB - 2x Raptor 150GB (1. Generation)

I've been using Nhancer to force Vsync on. It works great on my system.When I gave the Vapor X 5870 a try, I needed this tweak badly. I could not stop the scenery tearing.The other challenge was to get the ATI to look like Nhancers 8xs (Q) and I couldn't do it. It just didn't look as good to me.I don't remember if clouds were an issue. I was more concerned with the tearing and the scenery quality.This is certainly a blessing for ATI users.Keep up the good work, *******.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Guest Zorg_DK
No, no. Use FPS Limiter, not limiting FPS is very bad and will cause stuttering, as you already noticed. This fixes tearing, which has nothing to do with the FPS limiting. It does however drop to the next integer, as said by w6kd, but this one is 30, so you are good.
I just want add that it is possible to run FSX with unlimited frames and no external limiter and still have smooth fps without stutters. That's what I'm doing and I usually have 60fps except for big cities and airports.

higher the Queue Length, more stuttering you will have. I have to keep below 5 to have any kind of smooth flight. If it goes over 10, heavy stuttering.
By the way, there are two performance counters for this: Average AND Current... the Current is the 'real time one' the 'ideal' value, should be 1. Anything over '1' means the reads are waiting for the queue to clear (Meaning there is I/O wait going on)

Craig, try the following and you should see an improvement:[bufferPools]UsePools=0 // Use 1 if you get any instability.RejectThreshold=131071 // will only work if the above is set to 1[GRAPHICS]STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD=1024 // Try 10 as well.. but 1024 should give you a perfect smooth experience when using vsync ON
*******, you sir are a a god send to the FS community...much much thanks to you! Now my ATI 5870 card works like it should with TrackIR! Question for you. What is up with the change in the STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD number? In a previous thread you had it: 'STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD=2147483647'. Now you have it at 1024. Is that have something to do with the the max texture load? Right now due to me using REX v2 with the 4096 texture clouds I have the following set in my FSX.cfg:HIGHMEMFIX=1STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD=2147483647 // (2048 megabytes)SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1693500672TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096Should I change my STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD to equal 4096?Also for ******* or Word Not Allowed, if I am reading all the post right, then we should be setting our frame rate limiter to 30 or 60 (I have a lcd monitor)?Thank you sir for your reply.

Eric 

In a previous thread you had it: 'STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD=2147483647'.
I was 'corrected' later, Ryan from PMDG determined that the min-max values were 5 to 1024 and that setting it OVER 1024 will reset it to 60. so, 1024 is what you want to use. Ask Ryan (PMDG) he is the expert in video stuff.. that value (Stale Buffer) refers to a frame ahead buffer used by FSX.

Ok thanks *******. Word Not Allowed, can you see my previous reply on page 4 about the setting the frames limiter within FSX config settings screen. Much thanks. Also, it would be great if someone from Avsim could gather all of *******'s work as it is currently scattered between this forum and PMDG's forum and make a all-inclusive concise post that is pinned here in the fsx forum. Thank you.

Eric 

Not too clear on all the technical stuff discussed in this thread but applying the vsync tweak in the .cfg file fixed this issue for me. I'm running a ATI Radeon XFX 4890 and using the catalyst controller for AA and AFThanks *******!

By the way, there are two performance counters for this: Average AND Current... the Current is the 'real time one' the 'ideal' value, should be 1. Anything over '1' means the reads are waiting for the queue to clear (Meaning there is I/O wait going on)
Is that value of 1 in milliseconds?

Is that value of 1 in milliseconds?
Not if I understand it correctly. It means that there is 1 I/O operation waiting while the last one is being executed (engine requesting a file on the disk). If there is 10, means 10 ops are waiting. So you get stuttering, because data can't be loaded quickly enough.