Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hirgab

TrackIR for FSX using one monitor?

Hello all, I use one 24" monitor, and have been considering buying TrackIR. It just seems a bit weird having to turn my head but keeping my eyeballs straight to the monitor to have a look at the side windows. What is everyone's experiences with using one monitor with TrackIR?

Hello all, I use one 24" monitor, and have been considering buying TrackIR. It just seems a bit weird having to turn my head but keeping my eyeballs straight to the monitor to have a look at the side windows. What is everyone's experiences with using one monitor with TrackIR?
HelloYou do not need to turn your head very far, only an inch or two to pan right around the cockpit.You will barly notice the head movement.

Thanks for the response.Is there anyone out there that feels TrackIR is more of a hassle than anything when using one monitor?

Go buy it you won't regret it and you'll soon get used to it. It's not as odd as you think in fact it only sounds odd the way you say it. In practise its a "Walk in the park" but take time to read the manual and set it up.

Hi I use TIR 5 with the clip pro on a tiny 19in 5:4 LCD monitor. Love it.edit: oh and once you buy it, go to their forum and download a profile called "Seth-flight" - it will save you some initial headaches

I use TIR4 with a 24 inch monitor and EZDOK.FSX has never been more enjoyable and immersive. You will not be disappointed.Alex C

.... wouldn't fly any other way. It's the number one way when flying with a VC, and is a MUST for aerobatics - or just plain gawking at the OrbX PNW scenery!

I look at Trackir as an alternate to multiple monitors to achieve a wider angle of view. I only use another monitor for other views such as GPS, communications, etc. What I really like about Trackir is that you can lock the view with a simple key/button press if your head movement is causing problems (which it sometimes can) and it is completely configurable to your own preferences.

I have Track IR with a 40 inch monitor three and a half feet away at the end of my desk, and I have to tell you, it will give you goosebumps as to how real it is - total immersion! Would not fly without it.Kind regards,Stephen

You'd have to have several really wide-screen monitors to come close to the feeling of immersion and the angle of view that a TrackIR is capable of. It seems counter-intuitive when you first read about it, but once you get used to TIR, you won't fly any other way.

Yeah, the idea of having to keep your eyes fixed on the monitor while turning your head sounds odd and weird and not natural, but believe me, in a minute or two you just don't notice it anymore and looking around on FSX feels COMPLETELY natural. It's the best thing you can buy for FSX. I rather fly FSX without a decent controller than without TrackIR (honestly). ;)And btw the way you ask it seems to imply that you think TrackIR is meant for use with multiple monitors, but it's really the other way around: with multiple monitors (a lot of them) you might not need TrackIR as much as you do with a single monitor.Go get it: it will change your simworld forever. The immersion factor goes up with about 956%. :(

The best and most useful hardware that was ever designed for Flightsim.

Just takes a little getting used to.
Yup, roughly about 10 minutes, lol.Buy it, money well spent, trust me.

Thanks for the responses fellas. I received the package today and I'm having a hard time configuring it for FSX, it works and all, but I can't zoom as close to the gauges as I would like to, I can't look as far left as I could right, and I don't know how to scale my motions so that I don't have to turn my neck as much, I also don't know how to pan with trackir. Yeesh, where can I find some info?

A tip. Performance is affected by where you have the sensor and what profile you use. I have my sensor perhaps 10 inches behind the monitor and 6 inches above it on a convenient shelf. I find that it works better here than clipped to the monitor itself. I have the centering keystroke set to a joystick button so I can get to it if I need to reset the view. I use EZDOK as well but mainly for the vibration it adds. I also use the 'optimised flight' profile with my TrackIR, downloaded from the NaturalPoint site. Since I have an old Track IR3, you might find that this profile doesn't work with the newer model.Hope that helps,Noel.

Thanks for the responses fellas. I received the package today and I'm having a hard time configuring it for FSX, it works and all, but I can't zoom as close to the gauges as I would like to, I can't look as far left as I could right, and I don't know how to scale my motions so that I don't have to turn my neck as much, I also don't know how to pan with trackir. Yeesh, where can I find some info?
First off, assign a couple of buttons on your controller to the "Center" and "Pause" functions of TrackIR. To look further in any direction than you can normally see with the normal "center" position,simply look in the OPPOSITE direction and hit your "Center" button. You can then "see farther"in the opposite direction.The same holds true for getting closer...mover your head BACK and hit "Center". You can thenmove closer to the gauges.To return to "normal" viewing just look straight ahead and hit "Center".These little actions become second nature in no time at all.Use the "Pause" button when adjusting radio settings or other switch functionsin the VC. Just look at the control you want to operate, hit "Pause" make theadjustment and hit "Pause" again to return to normal.If you are in a sun-lit room, insure that there are NO "spotsd" of sunlight shiningon objects behind you as TIR will not be able to function properly.Use the "Tracking" view of the TIR window to see if there are any rogue spotsof light being seen by the TIR sensor if your setup starts acting strange.Once you get used to using the "Center" and "Pause" buttons, those actionsI noted above will become automatic.I absolutely endorse TrackIR for adding another level of "realism" toto the simming environment. Paul

Thanks all for the responses. I really do appreciate it, I'm slowly trying to wrap my head around this. :-) [EDIT] Nevermind, had a bunch of questions but I figured it out. Happy simmer here.

If you don't have EZCA, order it right away. It adds a great deal of effects that you will love.