Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

A little Heads-Up on the NGX...

The NGX textures don't take up 1GB (I can see the outrage posts already haha) - I'm saying that a fully maxed out FSX running high end scenery like ORBX, FlyTampa, FSDT, UTX, REX, lots of AI traffic, plus a high screen resolution and high AA setting PLUS running the NGX at it's max texture resolution on top of all of that can see it inch close to 1GB of *total* usage for the sim as a whole. If you're not running all of those addons or using the highest texture quality, it's not going to be anywhere close to that.I'd actually be pretty interested to see if someone else sees this low performance in FSX with the 570 too. I haven't seen anyone else here on Avsim get one yet, I was the guinea pig with it - ordered it the second they went on sale at newegg on release day. I am tossing around the idea of swapping for the new Radeon 6970 and seeing if there's any difference. I don't like AMD/ATI's AA options though - back when I had a 4870, the Adaptive AA (their name for transparency AA) didn't work in FS and there was no way to eliminate the shimmering like you can on an Nvidia card with the 8xS-type modes.
Sorry about that Ryan lol, i got the whole forum asking about their GPU's lol. I guess its better to talk to talk about it now then for the NGX to release and people get the GTX 570 or some other car and suffer from poor performance or it doesn't work lol.....anyways Merry Christmas to all thanks for all your help in this subject I've decided i will be getting the GTX 480, I can always upgrade later if i need more power.

No thats the scenery (NL2000 EHBK Maastricht airport)They have those wite aerias on the airport :(
Oh roger, I was quite mistaken then! :( Looked like a graphic glitch at first glace to me, sorry!sig.gif

Sorry about that Ryan lol, i got the whole forum asking about their GPU's lol. I guess its better to talk to talk about it now then for the NGX to release and people get the GTX 570 or some other car and suffer from poor performance or it doesn't work lol.....anyways Merry Christmas to all thanks for all your help in this subject I've decided i will be getting the GTX 480, I can always upgrade later if i need more power.
Let me know how it goes - I could do the same too, the 480 and the 570 are basically equivalent cards, the 570 just uses less power and generates less heat.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Hi,I recently bought a 6970, upgrading from a 5850. I found the performance allot better in FSX. I tried the GTX580 but had to return it when from what I could tell two screens spanned in Win7 was not possible with NVidia cards. (Surround mode requires two cards and has to be three screens.)cheersJohn Headlam

Let me know how it goes - I could do the same too, the 480 and the 570 are basically equivalent cards, the 570 just uses less power and generates less heat.
I will don't worry, looking at the prices you pay less for the 570 and pay more for the 480 its weird but the your right their almost identical in performance. I really think you should go for the 580, from the reviews i've read its alot better than the 570.

I will don't worry, looking at the prices you pay less for the 570 and pay more for the 480 its weird but the your right their almost identical in performance. I really think you should go for the 580, from the reviews i've read its alot better than the 570.
I put in for the Step Up, but there's an 1100 person wait list for that now... ugh.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Hi all. I've been reading these discussions about video cards with interest as I'm considering going to a multi monitor set-up for FSX. I'm currently running a i7980x, 6GB 2000Ghz DDR3 RAM, 2x300GB velociraptor 1exclusivley for FSX, and a GTX 285 with 2GB RAM. Oh, and a 24" 1920x1200 monitor. Windows 7 64bit.I was considering going for a Triple Head2Go and 2 more 24" monitors but concerned about the frame rate loss. I've also got a laptop over a LAN with a 19" monitor so how about purchasing 2 more 19" monitors and using 3x 19 monitors and Triple head2go??? Or how about upgrading the video card to say a GTX485 and ruing 2 monitors off of that or even just purchase a larger monitor and staying wiith a single monitor set up?????I realise this is off topic but while we are waiting for the NGX...........Anyone got any suggestions?????Happy Christmas and best wishes for the new year to all, Martin.

Martin Stacey.

I put in for the Step Up, but there's an 1100 person wait list for that now... ugh.
Whats a step up? Is it like you want to upgrade to a higher card but there out of stock currently and you have to wait in line behind all the other people who are waiting to get one?

If you know anything about fsx then you will know CPU cycles are the critical factor for performance. Don't waste money on pre-emptive purchases, there's is no way to know how hardware will perform until we have the bird on our hard drive.Don't waste money until you know what is happening with the ngx and fsx in REAL terms, forget hype, marketing, if it works, great !!! ,if not, then upgrade.Speculation is nonsense.Be smart and don't be sucked in by marketing.

Whats a step up? Is it like you want to upgrade to a higher card but there out of stock currently and you have to wait in line behind all the other people who are waiting to get one?
http://www.evga.com/stepup/

If you know anything about fsx then you will know CPU cycles are the critical factor for performance. Don't waste money on pre-emptive purchases, there's is no way to know how hardware will perform until we have the bird on our hard drive.Don't waste money until you know what is happening with the ngx and fsx in REAL terms, forget hype, marketing, if it works, great !!! ,if not, then upgrade.Speculation is nonsense.Be smart and don't be sucked in by marketing.
This is the wisest post in weeks. FSX is all about CPU grunt. Spend you cash on the best CPU you can afford. At the moment it doesn't matter if it is 2 core or a quad.Anthony

If you know anything about fsx then you will know CPU cycles are the critical factor for performance. Don't waste money on pre-emptive purchases, there's is no way to know how hardware will perform until we have the bird on our hard drive.
Agreed, best thing to do is to test things for yourself. Get a monitoring software that can log processor and memory load for both the CPU and the GPU and see what results you come up with. Then you'll have a better idea of where the bottleneck is in your system. The dev team have presented analogies between the performance of MD11, 747 and the NGX, so you could use one of those, if you have them, as a baseline. Or you could simply wait for the NGX itself. :)