Sign in to follow this  
poplar

New March screen shots.......!

Looks like there is much more detail and is it just me or do the shots not look warmer and more realistic looking?I think they are on track with this one.

\Robert Hamlich/

The shots are looking pretty good to me as well, especially for default scenery. I didn't care much for the color banding in the sky in the 3rd pic and the 5th pic looked good, but kind of weird like it was enhanced. Other than that it looks like its shaping up rather nicely.It will be really interesting to see how it performs out of the box and if there will or wont be any type of backward compatibility with FSX scenery, addon a/c, or AI for that matter.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The shots are looking pretty good to me as well, especially for default scenery. I didn't care much for the color banding in the sky in the 3rd pic and the 5th pic looked good, but kind of weird like it was enhanced. Other than that it looks like its shaping up rather nicely.It will be really interesting to see how it performs out of the box and if there will or wont be any type of backward compatibility with FSX scenery, addon a/c, or AI for that matter.
I read there will not be any backward compatibility... I see you are an FS-GS'er as well, I haven't had the pleasure of speaking with Michael in a long time.Cheers,Rob

\Robert Hamlich/

I read there will not be any backward compatibility... I see you are an FS-GS'er as well, I haven't had the pleasure of speaking with Michael in a long time.Cheers,Rob
That's too funny because I noticed the FS-GS in your sig as well. Yeah, I haven't spoke to Michael in a while myself either. I've been thinking about giving him a ring and talking to him about my next upgrade since my rigs getting a little long in the tooth so to speak. I'll probaby give him a shout in the next few weeks to see whats new and say hi.As far as the not having any backward compatibility, I've read that as well on various forums, but to be frank, until MS says that there will or wont be any backward compatibility, and if there is, to what extent, I only take the other ramblings that get posted with a grain of salt. As always, there is so much guessing and speculation of what the next version will or wont do, even to the point that some yahoos even get into arguments about it. Personally I skip all the nonsense and wait until official statements are made by MS before I get wrapped up in speculations made by others on FS forums around the net. I have yet to see a press release or a statment on the "Flight" page saying anything regarding backward compatibility. All I have read is that its designed from the ground up, but that doesn't necessarly mean that there maybe backward compatibility to some extent for scenery, AI, user a/c, etc.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Ho hum, nothing impressive, but what do you expect since Flight is just FSX SP3.And 'good one' Microsoft, trying to fool us with post processing in a couple of those shots.Love the blurry textures in shot 5 too. What a freaking joke! :( Flight == FSX SP3. All Flight "fan boys" need to release that otherwise they're heading for a big disappointment.When will the Flight devs have a Q&A with the community in these forums? They never will because they know the community questions will bust the 'smoke and mirrors' job Microsoft is trying to pull with "Flight". :( Come on Microsoft devs, step up and answer some Flight questions in these forums!

Matthew S

Got to admit I really like the look of the shadows on the Stearman. In the second shot even the wires cast shadows on the wings and they undulate to shape of the material on the wing. Some really nice shots. The detail on that model is excellent.
Have to agree totally, the self shadowing on the Stearman is superb. Love the airport, looks like something that Orbx will deliver and if that's the vanilla version, then imagine what the enhanced third party improved versions will look like.Bring it on...

Have to agree totally, the self shadowing on the Stearman is superb. Love the airport, looks like something that Orbx will deliver and if that's the vanilla version, then imagine what the enhanced third party improved versions will look like.Bring it on...
FSX has self shadowing, and that airport looks no better than any 3rd party FSX airport. I see nothing new in these shots (except the horizontal cliff textures B) )... but of course, its just FSX SP3.edit: Oh yeah and STILL NO CLOUD SHADOWS! :Shame On You:edit2: Look at the oversized autogen houses in shot 4. This is classic FSX code generating houses the size of small double storey warehouses. Come on Microsoft can't you fix this blatantly obvious and annoying bug in your FSX 'Flight' service pack. :( :( :(

Matthew S

Flight is becoming mroe and more of a good prospect. I love the stuff I'm seeing. With the prospect of it also running well on my setup (which is sort of what I'm expecting, seeing as they started from scratch on this one), this should be a must-buy when it comes out. God knows when that happens, but I'll get it. Unless it'll be as crazy expensive as FSX was at launch...

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

FSX has self shadowing, and that airport looks no better than any 3rd party FSX airport. I see nothing new in these shots (except the horizontal cliff textures :( )... but of course, its just FSX SP3.edit: Oh yeah and STILL NO CLOUD SHADOWS! :(
I wasn't going to say anything, but here goes,Matthew, you did some brilliant work on FSX and I really respected you for that, your app was sensational. But I have to say that your constant harping on what are your perceptions of inadequacy on the part of the Flight developers, their products and the few tidbits shown to date are really getting tiresome.If you dislike the product so much, have such disdain for the dev team, why I ask, do you spend so much time and energy here contributing absolutely nothing. We know what your opinions are, nothing has changed since the first time you posted on this particular forum. Mate, give it a rest...

If you dislike the product so much, have such disdain for the dev team, why I ask, do you spend so much time and energy here contributing absolutely nothing. We know what your opinions are, nothing has changed since the first time you posted on this particular forum. Mate, give it a rest...
If no one complains then the same bugs/deficiencies will remain unfixed in Flight. It's obvious from the screen-shots / movies that the Flight 'graphics engine' is simply an updated version of FSX and not a rewrite.We still see no cloud shadows and autogen size bugs. If you're happy about these (and other) issues propagating forward into Flight then that's fine and don't say anything and let Microsoft think they are doing a fantastic job.edit: The autogen house size bug even affects Orbx scenery (just check out their screen shots to see how almost every house is double storey 'warehouse' sized). If Microsoft doesnt fix this bug then all scenery using autogen will continue to suffer from this bug. And, it creates such a false sense of scale and altitude perception.Here's a shot from Orbx Cairns scenery, a city populated by giants living in warehouses :)http://www.fullterrain.com/images/ss/ybcs/8.jpg

Matthew S

If no one complains then the same bugs/deficiencies will remain unfixed in Flight. It's obvious from the screen-shots / movies that the Flight 'graphics engine' is simply an updated version of FSX and not a rewrite.We still see no cloud shadows and autogen size bugs. If you're happy about these (and other) issues propagating forward into Flight then that's fine and don't say anything and let Microsoft think they are doing a fantastic job.edit: The autogen house size bug even affects Orbx scenery (just check out their screen shots to see how almost every house is double storey 'warehouse' sized). If Microsoft doesnt fix this bug then all scenery using autogen will continue to suffer from this bug. And, it creates such a false sense of scale and altitude perception.Here's a shot from Orbx Cairns scenery, a city populated by giants living in warehouses :)http://www.fullterra...s/ss/ybcs/8.jpg
+ 1Is the Flight mountains scenery looking better than FSX...yes...I don't know how to use photoshop and that kind of stuff but looking at the last pic. one could ask if they have not painted the green color over the scenery...it is so much more vibrant compare to the other colors, close range or far away the green color is vibrant......Mathew is right, with oversized houses, oversized trees, sinking weels on the runway, blurries and some of the same gas station as FSX in others pics. you all still belive that this is a brand new engine from scratch with the same exact bugs in it as FSX...:( I asked a question in another thread without getting an answer so I'll ask again, "Can everything we see in Flight be achieved by reparing what ever is wrong in FSX, fixing it real good and adding some new stuff to it?"Don't get me wrong, I was the first one hoping for something brand new from scratch, I was very exited when I saw Aces team (or some of them) comming back and work on (what I was lead to beleive) something new from scratch........Flight will be better in some aspect compare to FSX but the Aces team is just finishing now what ever they were working on before MS shot them down and it is not remotely looking like new engine what so ever.

I am so glad some of you will not be purchasing Flight. If you find FS so bad why do you even waste your time and money on a hobby you really don't enjoy?

I'm willing to bet any amount of money that this is NOT default scenery. I'm pretty sure that MS is adding Hawaii (at least the big island) as a "detailed area" which is undoubtedly why they have focused all of their recent screenshots around the same area. Is the rest of the world getting this level of detail? I'm inclined to highly doubt it.What I'd like to see are other detailed areas such as Seattle, NYC, Chicago, etc to see if they enjoy the same upgrades as Hawaii. And then I'd like to see a picture of Ottumwa Regional Airport (no detailed area in the middle of Iowa)...I will also take the bet that it looks NOTHING like the airport in the pic but this would be a REAL test of what the "default" areas look like.As it stands now MS keeps showing beautiful pics of a single area so it gives the confusing impression that the entire FS world has been covered with ORBX level detail which is getting everyone excited. What I fear is that this is another "God's Rays" situation that if the rest of the world does NOT look like the shots they are showing come release day it will be another fiasco like the FSX release. MS NEEDS to clarify these differences, show other screenshots of other areas, and help to level set expectations that are obviously being built up by releasing screenshots in this manner.My 2 cents is to take the screenshots with a grain of salt, and be pleasantly SURPRISED rather than to be bitterly disappointed. Unfortunately, when it comes to the MSFS franchise, history tends to repeat itself.

Guest veeray

Well I don't know about you guys... but every week I nuke my project source code... that way nothing ever gets done!

I am so glad some of you will not be purchasing Flight. If you find FS so bad why do you even waste your time and money on a hobby you really don't enjoy?
Why don't you point us out to where I or somebody else said we did not enjoy what we have? That's the only thing we have until Xplane 10 or Flight arrive and until then FSX is still full of bugs......at the beginning all kind of speculation were flying left and right about a new engine and how amazing Flight will be based on the first pics and webisode but after more scrutening we can all see that Flight is based on the FSX engine, trust me I'm the first one to admit how sad I was when I realised that but the fact are the fact and I can't change them.Why have we not see any pics or webisode over a big city with scaled houses and trees without a road cutting a football field or several buildings in half?

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.