Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Richard99_Photography

FSX: using GEX-UTX ground textures lose quality

Hi,have somebody got rid of this problem?http://imageshack.us/f/43/fsx2.jpg/http://imageshack.us/f/820/fsx4.jpg/http://imageshack.us/f/64/fsx24.jpg/http://imageshack.us/f/84/fsx6i.jpg/http://imageshack.us/f/812/fsx8.jpg/http://imageshack.us/f/545/fsx12.jpg/http://imageshack.us/f/43/fsx13.jpg/http://imageshack.us/f/9/fsx14.jpg/http://imageshack.us/f/860/fsx16.jpg/http://imageshack.us/f/848/fsx17.jpg/http://imageshack.us/f/34/fsx21.jpg/http://imageshack.us/f/196/fsx22.jpg/http://imageshack.us/f/36/fsx23.jpg/http://imageshack.us/f/64/fsx24.jpg/Looking at the screenshots in a sequence you see that some areas which have clear and sharp ground textures, become (few seconds later) blurried.In other terms, the ground textures have, for a certain period of time, a good resolution (1 Mpixel), then they lose quality (very quickly), become blurried and turn good no more. I have GEX NA and UTX USA and my configuration is the following:- I5 2500K @4,2Ghz;- 8GB of 1600Mhz Ram;- one fsx dedicated HDD of 500GB (Caviar Black)- nVidia Gigabyte GTX560Ti OC.So, I cannot accept suggestions such as: "Try to move the sliders to the left" or "You computer is not able to run so high sliders" or so... It happens with default aircrafts, with payware aircrafts, with autogen either at the maximum or at the minimum, with other sliders turned on or off, etc... In other words, I have tried to reduce graphics settings but results unchanged. I don't think it is a textures loading problem, because if I pause the sim, the textures don't come back to a good quality resolution but stay blurried.The only thing I have tried, and it is a win, is to increase in the FSX.cfg file the LOD_RADIUS to 9.50, but it leads to a huge RAM and VGA Memory usage, so I would prefer another solution if possibile.Anyone with this kinda problem?Has anyone been able to fix the problem or could give a solution? It's a very annoying problem!Thanks for your help. Bye.R.R.P.S.: I have also tried the Bojote's FSX tweak tool... So for example the TBM is set to 40, I have set the Job Scheduler and so on...

Hi,I do notice from time to time some what blurry textures with GEX but always assumed it was due to visibility changes introduced by ASE real time weather. Are you using a weather generating program? Bob.. :)

Simply - your textures are not loading fast enough - there is no other explanation. Now, what could cause this? Not GEX or everyone that uses it would have the issues. It is something specific to your system. Anything running in the background. Anything using up CPU cycles? HDD problems.Google FSX blurries ( I'm sure you have) - it's been an issue with FSX and improper;y setup hardware for years.Try having FSX create a brand new FSX.cfg file w/o the bojote fixes and see if that helps. Then slowly tweak from there.Vic

Make sure your chipset drivers are upto date. Ensure that your HD is running correctly (maybe check with HD Tach)Delete the .cfg and let FSX rebuild. With your rig the bojotes tweaks should not be needed. I got a distant blurry mess with the tweaks applied.The only tweaks I know use are the bufferpools reject threshold (helps with smoothness during turns) and texture bandwidth multiplier at 120.

Hi,I do notice from time to time some what blurry textures with GEX but always assumed it was due to visibility changes introduced by ASE real time weather. Are you using a weather generating program? Bob.. :)
Yes, I use ASE, but last night I tried without it also and the results were not better.
Simply - your textures are not loading fast enough
Ahahahahaha :)That's right! At 4,2 Ghz.... Ahahahaha I didn't think about hardware lacking...So, why with a LOD_RADIUS of 9.50 that problem is gone away? Furthermore, I have written well this. Textures are initially at their maximum quality then become blurried. If it was a textures loading problem, they would be loaded at low resolution then (after few seconds or minutes) they would change into a more detailed resolution, but it is not that.
- there is no other explanation. Now, what could cause this? Not GEX or everyone that uses it would have the issues. It is something specific to your system. Anything running in the background. Anything using up CPU cycles? HDD problems.
No Antivirus, if you were thinking about that or other applications that drag resources.
Make sure your chipset drivers are upto date. Ensure that your HD is running correctly (maybe check with HD Tach)Delete the .cfg and let FSX rebuild. With your rig the bojotes tweaks should not be needed. I got a distant blurry mess with the tweaks applied.The only tweaks I know use are the bufferpools reject threshold (helps with smoothness during turns) and texture bandwidth multiplier at 120.
OK, thanks for your very appreciated helps. It would be great if you would post some screenshots, I am probably stupid or unlucky. I have formatted my pc last week so it is clean of any kind of other software, just installed FSX and a small number of addons. Let's try to increase TBM, then the last tweak will be increase the LOD_RADIUS.The thread can be closed. Bye.

I must be getting weak in the eyes. How come I don't see the bluriness?

I must be getting weak in the eyes. How come I don't see the bluriness?
There are a lot of blurries...
Lock your frames.
Already done.Could you post some screenshots of your FSX, better if GEX and UTX installed to compare with mines.

Could you post some screenshots of your FSX, better if GEX and UTX installed to compare with mines.
Here's some examples from my rig. My specs are in my sig, so as you can see I have a much "worse" computer than you do. Example are in the LDS767. I did 2 samples, one at 12,000' 320kts and one at 20'000 450kts.Also, I am just using the default 4.5 LOD RADIUS.1st 12,000' over KMIA2nd 20,000' over KFLL

Ahahahahaha :)That's right! At 4,2 Ghz.... Ahahahaha I didn't think about hardware lacking...So, why with a LOD_RADIUS of 9.50 that problem is gone away? Furthermore, I have written well this. Textures are initially at their maximum quality then become blurried. If it was a textures loading problem, they would be loaded at low resolution then (after few seconds or minutes) they would change into a more detailed resolution, but it is not that.
Texture loading is NOT only depending on processor speed. You have a bottleneck somewhere. And of course they are max quality at the beginning, but distant low rez textures come closer and can't be swapped with higher rez textures soon enough. And that's EXACTLY why the LOD_RADIUS of 9.5 initially helps. But not for a long time :-)

Would lowering the prerender frames in the Nvidia settings help at all?I cannot lock my frames as it is one cause of instability with dll crashes for me

Texture loading is NOT only depending on processor speed. You have a bottleneck somewhere. And of course they are max quality at the beginning, but distant low rez textures come closer and can't be swapped with higher rez textures soon enough. And that's EXACTLY why the LOD_RADIUS of 9.5 initially helps. But not for a long time :-)
Thanx Darem - saved me the trouble of explaining.Vic

Here's some examples from my rig. My specs are in my sig, so as you can see I have a much "worse" computer than you do. Example are in the LDS767. I did 2 samples, one at 12,000' 320kts and one at 20'000 450kts.Also, I am just using the default 4.5 LOD RADIUS.1st 12,000' over KMIA2nd 20,000' over KFLL
Perfect!So in the shot nr.1 we can see only few blurried textures near the right wingtip of the aircraft, while all around every textures seems to be crisp, at high resolution, pretty nice!In the second shot there are some light blurries but in general I can't see a big problem, like I have.Well, I cannot understand what kind of bottleneck I have, being my computer just formatted. Furthermore I don't understand how it is possibile that other users, with worse hardware configuration than mine, are able to run FSX with better graphics results. As stated, I tried to low graphics features in FSX, but results are the same, so we cannot say that my problems are due to the highest graphics level set.@ B747400F: what did you mean for "prerender frames in nVidia settings"?Anyway, what nVidia drivers and application (nHancer or Inspector or so) do you use?@ darem: as stated before, but I will repeat that. It is not a problem due to the fact that far textures don't swap to high resolution textures when they are closer to the aircraft, it is the opposite, they comes as high-res, then they swap to low res and return no more to high res.Thanks for your help. Bye

Perfect!So in the shot nr.1 we can see only few blurried textures near the right wingtip of the aircraft, while all around every textures seems to be crisp, at high resolution, pretty nice!In the second shot there are some light blurries but in general I can't see a big problem, like I have.
Yes, I am pretty happy with mine. Granted there maybe a micro blurry here and there, its not really that noticeable when actually flying since I am busy flying and not so much looking for blurries.
Furthermore I don't understand how it is possibile that other users, with worse hardware configuration than mine, are able to run FSX with better graphics results.
It just comes down to the set up of your OC, Windows, driver settings and FSX itself. Of course how your addons are setup like UTX and REX options chosen can also have either a positive or negative effect on your experience. The only reason I can say that my sim looks and performs very well considering my older hardware is because I had Windows, FSX, video card drivers and misc items set up by a professional company that specializes in that. If you dont want to go the way of using a professional service to do it for you and prefer to monkey with it and fiddle around yourself then I would suggest you take a good long look at NickN's setup guide here: http://www.simforums.com/forums/enb-bloom-mod-nicks-cOnfig-updated_topic32482.html . I'm not sure if you have follow it already since you only mentioned Bojote's tool, but Nick's guide is pretty well done and can give you a good place to start. Depending on how you did your original setup, you may want to wipe it clean and begin again with Nicks guide to make sure you get maximum effectiveness. Good luck in getting it sorted. Make sure to take a look at Nick video card setup also and see how it relates to what your settins are, if you haven't done so already.

Guest PFL

cmpbellsjc wrote: "It just comes down to the set up of your OC, Windows, driver settings and FSX itself. Of course how your addons are setup like UTX and REX options chosen can also have either a positive or negative effect on your experience. The only reason I can say that my sim looks and performs very well considering my older hardware is because I had Windows, FSX, video card drivers and misc items set up by a professional company that specializes in that."'I´ve noticed this claim in so many of your posts, and I have to reply on that specifically: I do not believe this is the main reason, absolutely not! There´s so much knowledge gathered about setting up FSX here and elsewhere, that anyone, even myself, a 2 year newb have the possibility to install, adjust, tweak and fly your FSX with max. performance!

cmpbellsjc wrote: "It just comes down to the set up of your OC, Windows, driver settings and FSX itself. Of course how your addons are setup like UTX and REX options chosen can also have either a positive or negative effect on your experience. The only reason I can say that my sim looks and performs very well considering my older hardware is because I had Windows, FSX, video card drivers and misc items set up by a professional company that specializes in that."'I´ve noticed this claim in so many of your posts, and I have to reply on that specifically: I do not believe this is the main reason, absolutely not! There´s so much knowledge gathered about setting up FSX here and elsewhere, that anyone, even myself, a 2 year newb have the possibility to install, adjust, tweak and fly your FSX with max. performance!
Well, your free to believe whatever you want to believe, but when I can fly FSX with none of the issues I read here and in FS forum land about CTD's, freezups, g3d.dll crashes, blurries, poor FPS, and all the other things alongs those lines, then I dont know what else to place my well being on. Look at Mitch "Sesquashtoo" with all the pain and anguish he has put himslf thru in the past few years, most noticable lately where he came close to giving up FSX all together because he had so many probelms, and you know what, he applied all the "knowledge gathered about setting up FSX here and elsewhere", and a lot of these folks have rigs much. much better than mine. Fortunately for Mitch he's ok, for now, but his whole situation could have been avoided in the first place.Notice that I always give a recommendation to use Nick's guide as well if you want to go the route of doing it yourself. When people have issues I like to give multiple suggestions on how they might be able to resolve them on their own using Nick and ******* or seek professional assistance.With all due respect PFL, there is nothing wrong with letting a professional in the field help you out.When my car breaks, I take it to a mechanic. Could I buy a Chiltons guide and fix it myself? Sure maybe I could, but i'd prefer to save myself the time and agrivation of doing myself. I suppose I could say the same about when I have health problems, I go to a Dr.Anyways, i'm not twisting anyones arm to do what I did, mearly mentioning it so that they know its a choice if they continue to struggle. Although from some of the threads i've read here, I almost think some actually enjoy the agony of tweaking the sim rather than actually flying it.Frankly, I dont see what issue you have with what I said in the first place. I know a few people here on Avsim that went the route that I did and are more than satisified with their FSX results. However if you never say anything some people will never find out that there are otions besides doing it yourself.

Guest PFL

FSX is a PC Game!How many other PC Game titles needs a "professional tune & set-up company" to enable the game to play in an acceptable way?Frankly, I think you are misleading newbies with your advise, it´s way off, absolutely useless...You mention Mitch, read his posts, flying with a neat, clean, virgin FSX.cfg, how is that?BTW and IMO people like him needs to clean-up and re-install every 3-4 months, because they keep putting useless junk and garbage in their Sim, I do it myself, so I know my kindred "Sim-spirits!" Whistle.gif

FSX is a PC Game!How many other PC Game titles needs a "professional tune & set-up company" to enable the game to play in an acceptable way?
It's no secret that FSX demands a more exact setup than what what works well for most PC games. There are so many variable that go into making FSX work right and look good, that when one or more of those variable is off then you get the majority of the "help" posts that you read here.
Frankly, I think you are misleading newbies with your advise, it´s way off, absolutely useless...
Sorry you feel that way. :( If you want I will PM you a list of Avsim users who have done what I did and you can contact them privately thru the PM system to check and see if they are happy or not with their results. Otherwise your assumption is just a shot in the dark.
You mention Mitch, read his posts, flying with a neat clean virgin FSX.cfg, how is that?BTW and IMO people like him needs to clean-up and re-install every 3-4 months, because they keep putting useless junk and garbage in their Sim, I do it myself, so I know my kindred spirits! Whistle.gif
People like him, what kind of people are those? People who like to use addons...A re-install isn't necessary every 3 to 4 months just becuase of addons. How is that about Mitch, we will see in a month or two. He's already had a few OMG moments where everything was peaches and cream, only to turn up a few months later with problems and issues again.Look PFL, i've scanned a few of your older posts while waiting for a reply and got a good idea of what type of forum fellow you are and noticed that your usually the argumentative type, I'm not. So let's do this PFL, rahter than muddying this fellows post with your distain for me, my happiness with FSX, or the way I went about getting it, why not PM me and go from there. This banter isn't helping the fellow who started the post.Regards

Hi did you try changing filtering settings?look hereCheersIgnacio Big Grin.gif
Hi Ignacio,thanks for that link, I have already seen indeed. One question. If I set the Anisotropic Filter by nVidia Inspector, is it seggested (and does it work) to set it also in FSX or not?

Nick's guide and about all other sources say that in FSX, settings should be "trilinear" and no anisotropic filtering in order to make the Inspector settings work.

quote name='PFL' timestamp='1309376947' post='2007896']FSX is a PC Game!How many other PC Game titles needs a "professional tune & set-up company" to enable the game to play in an acceptable way?Frankly, I think you are misleading newbies with your advise, it´s way off, absolutely useless...You mention Mitch, read his posts, flying with a neat, clean, virgin FSX.cfg, how is that?BTW and IMO people like him needs to clean-up and re-install every 3-4 months, because they keep putting useless junk and garbage in their Sim, I do it myself, so I know my kindred "Sim-spirits!" Whistle.gifI will 'second' everything "cmpbellsjc" posted. PFL your opinion is yours alone.

Guest PFL

I don´t need any discussions via PB concerning this issue, why do you want that?Why do you pay other people for setting up a system?Are they former ACES employees? What qualifies them to be experts in this field?Why don´t you want to know every screw and bolt, nut or butt of your precious PC Game system?I know every damn secret spot on my wife, and I want to know the same about my Sim PC, period!!Absolutely amazing the kind of bull we are slowly getting used to here, the blind leading the deaf, and the deaf trying to hear ##### is going on!angry.gif