Sign in to follow this  
Steenos

Lack of vatsim controllers

Seems over the years that Vatsim is a lot less popular than it was. I try and fly out of ATL a lot and I rarely see controllers online. I'd figure for as decently busy of an airspace as Atlanta they would be staffed. Just wondered if there's a better alternative. Not dissing, or calling out any controllers just wishing there was more online ATC available. Makes the experience better that's for sure.

Seems over the years that Vatsim is a lot less popular than it was. I try and fly out of ATL a lot and I rarely see controllers online. I'd figure for as decently busy of an airspace as Atlanta they would be staffed. Just wondered if there's a better alternative. Not dissing, or calling out any controllers just wishing there was more online ATC available. Makes the experience better that's for sure.
Perhaps you're not flying at the right times. Furthermore, it's also somewhat cyclical. Over the summer, hours drop slightly with people going on vacations and the like. Beyond that, the members tend to move around a lot because of boredom with the location, or disagreements with staff or new members.
VATSIM wont grow any larger than it is without policy changes and thats a hard fact.
Agreed. There's a lot that absolutely needs to change, but they really like to just pretend nothing's wrong. Shameless plug:Come to DC - we're on a lot. Just don't call me DC Center, and you'll be fine.

Kyle Rodgers

VATSIM wont grow any larger than it is without policy changes and thats a hard fact.
Could you elaborate on this for me please. And one point from me is having 2 serious online organizations (VATSIM/IVAO) competing against one another does not help, it just dilutes our small community even more.

Guest dlrk
Agreed. There's a lot that absolutely needs to change, but they really like to just pretend nothing's wrong.
+1

If they really wanted to do something positive, they would make it easier to become a controller. I realize they don't want people that are not there for the right reasons and messing stuff up, however it seems daunting to many people. I would bet that most very experienced virtual pilots, real student pilots, and people with real world time could be controllers. However, and this is from my understanding, it is very hard to be allowed to free control on the network. If it was easier, I would probably apply. Being a student pilot, I have a very real knowledge of air traffic control interactions as well as my virtual airline experience.

Perhaps you're not flying at the right times. Furthermore, it's also somewhat cyclical. Over the summer, hours drop slightly with people going on vacations and the like. Beyond that, the members tend to move around a lot because of boredom with the location, or disagreements with staff or new members. Agreed. There's a lot that absolutely needs to change, but they really like to just pretend nothing's wrong. Shameless plug:Come to DC - we're on a lot. Just don't call me DC Center, and you'll be fine.
OMG. Bumping this isn't enough. They do indeed like to pretend nothing is wrong, and they are the least involved guys I've ever heard about. Just last night I wrote an email to the Board of Governors, asking them to roll their sleeves up and get to it, with a few constructive recommendations. I also asked for those who aren't interested in rolling up their sleeves and working to make things better to step down. Then I deleted my constructive email, because I realized that few would read it, and those who did probably wouldn't care anyway.There are a FEW ARRTC managers and a few senior controllers on VATSIM who really do want to make the network better. The following are just my experiences, and those of the small group with whom I fly (excellent sim pilots and good people).. BOSTON: Best of the best in my book. The controllers there are fantastic, on top of things, easy to work with, and don't tolerate pilots messing around. SAN FRANCISCO: Always fantastic, ALWAYS! NEW YORK: Usually pretty darned good, but I always go back to the night an approach controller was drunk or are drugs, slurring his words, given messed up instructions, telling jokes and laughing at himself, etc. The worse thing is that another controller (a friend?) was in on it with him. We could tell because the wasted controller kept pressing the wrong push to talk key, so we heard 1/2 of his other conversation. Really terrible. That said, the experience our group had during New York's unexpected flyin of over 100 aircraft yesterday was terrific. Each controller was on top of things, and despite the number of aircraft the there were very few holds. Real nice job by the controllers and pilots alike. Also, there is one Center controller out of New York who is a real world senior controller, and he's the best, most professional, and most pleasant controller I've ever had on VATSIM. ATLANTA: I can go either way on this ARRTC. Sometimes good, sometimes not. Maybe it's a full moon type of thing. ALBUQUERQUE: Very good, very proficent and very friendly. LA CENTER: They are often very busy due to a huge and busy airspace, so they are usually direct and to the point. Still very good controllers. MINNEANAPOLIS: Usually very good. CHICAGO: Usually pretty good. Watch one Center guy who only thinks in 2D. He'll spin an overtaking aircraft, not realizing that it's okay to be at (or change to ) another altitude. This occurs with aircraft transiting their airspace. WASHINGTON CENTER: Usually pretty good, but there is one guy there, who was usually an Approach Controller who was just horrible. However we had him as a Center Controller for the first leg of our New York fly, he was overloaded by traffic and still managed to do a really excellent job. DENVER: If I had t guess, I'd say that a few months ago they suffered from management and training vacuum. They seem to be battling their way back, but as for me I place them on the places to avoid list for flyins. They're okay for daily traffic. MEMPHIS: Was HORRIBLE until about a month ago, and the quality has really stepped up. (rate them just above average and they're getting better). GREAT BRITAIN: Always seems to have terrific ad very friendly controllers. Can be some very busy airspace. PRAGUE: Terrific. LISBON: Terrific Anyway, the above list is just my experience. Dave

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

+1 - This insistence on some sort of "full-time" virtual controller is ludicrous. It isn't official policy per-sae but I think we all know that things can appear too hardcore at times. The typical online-two-three times a month guy seems to get no-where with the strenuous training etc. *cough* me back in the day. I've dabbled on YZF tower every once a while and never had any issues...even YEG_CTR doesn't have a prob with it...of course some neighbouring ARTCC hardcore head though will come online and stir s**** = no ATC and a bad taste in my mouth. No thank you ain't gonna bother with that. This isn't the correct forum for it in any respect but whatever I'll continue. Honestly, if they had some allowed the sort of FSS position similar to the real world for region (ie: Kamloops, Pacific, Arctic etc.) where an individual could provide advisory for multiple airfields (Peace River Radio anyone...hehe) without having to go through the controlling mumbo-jumbo that would improve VATSIM substantially. I find when I'm flying online a voice to talk to and hearing others is the primary aspect of the immersion. I'm gonna fly what I wanna fly 90% of the time anyways as traffic seems so low...well up in Canada at least. Not only that...but it's realistic...that's how things are...there isn't a tower or terminal fool everywhere. But then the VATSIM staff will cry about server usage with an individual with 300 nm+ ranges as FSS...well what the heck to you think YEG centre is anyways? Sigh...

I don't know about the problems with other VATSIM contoller areas, but I can tell you that there would probably be a great deal more controllers in the Denver airspace if we had a different Air Traffic Manager. This hobby doesn't need an egotistical and biased against women individual in that position or any other position of authority. Just my opinion.

I don't know about the problems with other VATSIM contoller areas, but I can tell you that there would probably be a great deal more controllers in the Denver airspace if we had a different Air Traffic Manager. This hobby doesn't need an egotistical and biased against women individual in that position or any other position of authority. Just my opinion.
Yeah, the ATM over at Denver seems to be a dbag .... sociopath type

There is a new player in town called PilotEdge. Subscription service with guaranteed ATC manning. Coverage area is limited but the reason for the limited coverage is on the website.

I used to fly online years ago when vatsim was in it's infancy, then the ego stuff started, and will never venture back whilst that culture remains. The big heads ruin it for the genuine ones.Funny how the ones that hold themselves in high regard at Vatsim, are the ones that could not organise a p___up in a brewery.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Hi I have been assigned a CR about 10 days ago, the deadline in 4 days and since I have to go to work and sleep, so at my free time which is about 4:00pm GMT to 10:00pm GMT I couldn’t find any controller at KMKE or KORD or KMSP and I am seriously considering talking to my CP to shift this CR to KSEA or KLAX which looks more frequent on the map, so it is a problem of course, but if your intentions to just fly anywhere there are always an area that is active, it’s a petty that the beautiful hobby is slowly decaying, the answer for how to get the wheel running again is simple ----Money-----nothing should be free anymore or it will disappear as we know it and as we loved it.

Alaa A. Riad
Just love to fly...............

W11 64-bit, MSFS2020, Intel Core i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20 Ghz 6 Cores, 2 TR HD, 16.0 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 MB GDDR5