Sign in to follow this  
rhha

PC Pilot's promise of news of Flight

His point is that X-Plane 10 looks old.
If X-Plane 10 looks old, then I guess Flight looks like an arthritic old granny.

Those screenshots only proved Ben's point. I mean, it has it's nice looking areas, but it really doesn't look that "modern" or "new" like Flight does. We'll have to wait and see more shots showing different parts of the sim, but at this point, it's not interesting me all that much.

Brandon Filer

Those screenshots only proved Ben's point. I mean, it has it's nice looking areas, but it really doesn't look that "modern" or "new" like Flight does. We'll have to wait and see more shots showing different parts of the sim, but at this point, it's not interesting me all that much.
I'm responding with a quote from Tom Kyler in this thread: http://forum.avsim.n...ost__p__2138416
X-Plane is currently on the final assembly line and you're seeing a collection of components, but not all the components together.....each of us has some component to add. Terrain, autogen, forests, default objects, aircraft, etc...Most of us at laminar haven't seen it all together yet. As it comes together, all the parts will be filled in.
One could argue about how "modern" or "new" Flight will be, but that's for a different thread (and forum!).

Danny

X-plane 10 looks very much like a simulated environment, in none of the screenshots showing scenery (admittedly the aircraft modeling is superb) have I had the same suspension of disbelief as I do when looking at MS Flight. From a technical standpoint X-plane looks very barren and sparse, sure you get a few nice shots of street level suburbia in all it's detail but then in vast contrast you get the wasteland of the surrounding countryside. X-plane in my experience has always had this cold, dead simulated feel to it; no matter how many objects you throw into this world it still comes across as empty and void, many will probably disagree but this is how the experience of X-plane has come across to me. I suspect though, that it is this very element that is missing from X-plane which makes it appear old in comparison.

X-plane 10 looks very much like a simulated environment, in none of the screenshots showing scenery (admittedly the aircraft modeling is superb) have I had the same suspension of disbelief as I do when looking at MS Flight. From a technical standpoint X-plane looks very barren and sparse, sure you get a few nice shots of street level suburbia in all it's detail but then in vast contrast you get the wasteland of the surrounding countryside. X-plane in my experience has always had this cold, dead simulated feel to it; no matter how many objects you throw into this world it still comes across as empty and void, many will probably disagree but this is how the experience of X-plane has come across to me. I suspect though, that it is this very element that is missing from X-plane which makes it appear old in comparison.
I completely agree

Ah wonderful! It's been a while since we had a MSFS vs X-plane thread. Thanks guys. Much appreciated! Talk%20to%20the%20Hand.gif I'll go drink my tea now.

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

Though in all honesty , X-Plane models the entire planet to some extent while so far , it looks like Flight is Hawaii only. Sure is easier to model a small island in great detail rather then the entire planet.To boot , it sounds as if X-Plane 10 is going to make it MUCH easier to modify your local scenery.So far all I've seen/heard about Flight are the pretty pictures and the MS rhetoric about an entirely different approach to flight simulation. Does this mean X-Box and controllers ported over to a PC??So far my money lies with X-Plane 10 rather than all those shinny thingies MS is showing.

Though in all honesty , X-Plane models the entire planet to some extent while so far , it looks like Flight is Hawaii only. Sure is easier to model a small island in great detail rather then the entire planet.To boot , it sounds as if X-Plane 10 is going to make it MUCH easier to modify your local scenery.So far all I've seen/heard about Flight are the pretty pictures and the MS rhetoric about an entirely different approach to flight simulation. Does this mean X-Box and controllers ported over to a PC??So far my money lies with X-Plane 10 rather than all those shinny thingies MS is showing.
ehhh??? hawaii only? how can you say that? if somebody still think this then he is insane...

The screenshots you linked to shows a couple of things with X-Plane that don't look good. First the clouds. The clouds look like a computer rendering of a Monet painting, they look more like billowing smoke than clouds. In the second screenshot with the flat clouds (stratus?) looks horribly pixilated. The ariel "city" screenshots looks nothing like a real city. Cities aren't laid out in big block chunks with sparse block chunks of green between them. Not to mention the fact that industrial, commercial, residential and hi-rise zones are all lumped together in those blocks. Maybe it looks so bad because there are no TREES or vegetation to be seen - just green ground which makes the "city" look like it grew there out of the swamp. Also, you notice in the 747-400 screenshot posted above the United Airlines colors look HORRIBLE. The colors in X-Plane look washed out and simply incorrect. Even look at the 747-400 virtual cockpit in the released screenshots, it is closer to something that PSS released in their 777 and 757 for FS 2002. I do like the screeshot at night because the scenery and lighting as you look into the distance looks highly believeable. Judging by the previously released shot of the airport approach at night, XPlane may well shine in night flying.

Also, you notice in the 747-400 screenshot posted above the United Airlines colors look HORRIBLE.
I agree! The Orbit and World Travel colours in default FSX aircraft look much closer to reality (NOT)!

The screenshots you linked to shows a couple of things with X-Plane that don't look good. First the clouds. The clouds look like a computer rendering of a Monet painting, they look more like billowing smoke than clouds. In the second screenshot with the flat clouds (stratus?) looks horribly pixilated. The ariel "city" screenshots looks nothing like a real city. Cities aren't laid out in big block chunks with sparse block chunks of green between them. Not to mention the fact that industrial, commercial, residential and hi-rise zones are all lumped together in those blocks. Maybe it looks so bad because there are no TREES or vegetation to be seen - just green ground which makes the "city" look like it grew there out of the swamp. Also, you notice in the 747-400 screenshot posted above the United Airlines colors look HORRIBLE. The colors in X-Plane look washed out and simply incorrect. Even look at the 747-400 virtual cockpit in the released screenshots, it is closer to something that PSS released in their 777 and 757 for FS 2002. I do like the screeshot at night because the scenery and lighting as you look into the distance looks highly believeable. Judging by the previously released shot of the airport approach at night, XPlane may well shine in night flying.
You didn't read my last post Mike. VVVVhttp://forum.avsim.net/topic/351608-pc-pilots-promise-of-news-of-flight/page__view__findpost__p__2140516Once again, I'll quote Tom Kyler...
IGNORE the terrain and scenery, this is all V9 stuff. The 3D is independent of the world in which is resides...this is my development sandbox. What I want to show here is this scene was made in about 10 minutes using the WED program and the default artwork in x-plane 10. Anybody without any 3D experience will be able to open up WED, draw a shape to represent a generic terminal, drag in some ready to go "jetway scenes", throw down some aircraft or other buildings and have a scene in a matter of minutes. Anybody would be able to build this scene in 15 minutes or less once they know how. Like Legos, it will be the imagination of the author (and the limitation of the lego set) to see what people develop. Consequent to this idea is that we can begin building better and more extensive lego sets though laminar will probably have a much smaller "lego budget" than the 3rd party world. We're more interested in enabling and fostering development, not shouldering it all. This interactive nature of development among the community is part of the appeal of x-plane and gives a bit more purpose to the sim than just jumping in and "flying it", though I know for some that's what they want. Now along with a scene like this comes real ramp lighting and shadows....and if the more enterprising 3D developer chooses to make a few custom 3D parts to make a scene more authentic, then they can do that also. Recall this is default x-plane and not custom...there is a limit to how much accuracy we can pursue and as Austin stated, our goal is to get high quality plausible airports insim...and the 3rd party guys can do whatever they want.
Do some reading guys...http://forum.avsim.net/topic/351464-avsim-exclusive-screenshots-for-x-plane10/page__view__findpost__p__2139170

Danny

It will not be....trust me.

It will not be....trust me.
Wouldn't it be great if Microsoft would just make a statement like this; that is, unless they can't.

I guess they did when they mentioned "the whole world".

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.