Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

luxaircrew

PMDG 737 NGX on an iMac

hi alli am happy to announce that i installed the new NGX into FSX installed under bootcamp on an iMac 27"...and it run's at least a million times better than on a pc....My iMac setup is the following:Intel i7 3,4Ghz cpu2TB Harddisk2GB ATI Radeon 697016GB RamI made a 350 GB partition for bootcamp , installed Win7 Home Premium 64bitStarting FSX is via FSX Booster softwareI get a constant 50-60 fps with all details at full resolution (2560 x 1440). Overflying Aerosoft Ibiza FSX scenery low-level with the NGX gives me inside VC around 40-50 fps, outside in spot view around 100-110 fps.The large iMac screen makes flying the ngx almost seem like a dream....looking forward to the spa and the 700 series...btw, is there anyone who would be willing to make a LUXAIR repaint for the -800 (and the -700 later on)many thanksMarcMarc Muller

Marc Muller

Luxembourg

Marc, I had FSX and the NGX running on my 27" iMac as well and it ran great! Much better then on my scratch built PC, and no driver issues!! Now with my Mac Pro its even better, but need a new graphics card to take full advantage of my 16 cores.

Jorge Sanchez - KMIA
@iJorge511

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

i am running both FSX and Prepar3d on my Mac pro. Too bad I cant take advantage of the 32 GB of RAM in this computer but it runs 1000x better than on a pure PC.

Dave Robertson

BE20, BE35, BE02, C560, CRJ, MD80, E190, B777

One thing that comes to mind when I see this post (ignore my ignorance please) is that, isn't it mostly about CPU power? If your Mac has strong CPU, then it should run it fine? This applies to PC as well, afterall you are running Windows, so windows decides how to use the available resource?

Brendan Chen

Learning to use and getting use to FSX!

So FSX runs well on a computer that costs £3000 (in the UK) or £4000 for the 12 core?

CRAIG MACPHEE • Core i5 4690K • GTX 460 1GB

pmdgswitch.jpg

Another happy iMac owner here (i7 2600, 8 GB Ram, AMD/Ati 6950 1GB).FSX is the only reason I have Win 7 under bootcamp installed, and I'm happy that I don't have to keep another PC around just for simming. I do miss the overclocking a little, but I have so much less hassles with the iMac, and best of all: this thing is 50-60cm from my face and it is virtually silent, even after running the sim for hours. Even yesterday when the outside temp hit 34C here in Sydney, AU the iMac's fans were barely audible with the sim muted.I did get the NGX panel freezes though, but it would seem that this was really an issue with the NGX since quite a few people reported this issue here.

Cheers,

Alex

Now I'm seriously thinking about buying an Imac or a Macbook pro to run FSX with NGX. Do you guys realy think it's possible to run FSX grafics on MAX, and NGX with a heavy scenery with high FPS?

Now I'm seriously thinking about buying an Imac or a Macbook pro to run FSX with NGX. Do you guys realy think it's possible to run FSX grafics on MAX, and NGX with a heavy scenery with high FPS?
I would use the iMac and not a MacBook Pro.I Mac Pro like I have would be the way to go but then you are going to have to buy displays. I can tell you though that 27" LED displays look F'in awesome!!

Dave Robertson

CYYC

I would use the iMac and not a MacBook Pro.I Mac Pro like I have would be the way to go but then you are going to have to buy displays. I can tell you though that 27" LED displays look F'in awesome!!
Yes - think about the choice between MacBook Pro and iMac. The MBP is a more useful all-around machine, and very adequate for most anything. BUT in any given year, the current iMac is higher performance and higher performance/price, because it is not constrained. The monitor is not critical - just add the cost of an equivalent external monitor to the price of the MBP, and you will have a 2-monitor setup that works much better than in Windows. (But the 27 inch monitor in the iMac is indeed awesome, and probably $500 for an equal quality, equal size monitor!) Frankly my guess is that a current MBP (new ones came out today) will be fine for FSX, since it is such old software.So it depends on whether you want this machine for real use (get the laptop MBP) or games (get the iMac). Either way it's a winner.

I got both and I wouldn't consider installing FSX on anything but the current top of the line MBP. Even then you'll see a lot less performance then on the i5/i7 iMac. The PCIe bus on the MBP is only 8 lanes wide, and the GFX is a lot slower then what you get in the iMac (see http://www.barefeats.../mini11_02.html for some gaming benchmarks on the top Macs).In any case: If you mainly use your machine for FSX and games than I would't recommend a Mac (and that is coming from an Apple aficionado), simply because of the lack of customisation/over-clocking options. I'm sure if I had a 2600k and decent Nvidia card in a well cooled PC I could get a fair bit more performance then my iMac can deliver.On the other hand, if you are a Mac user or want to switch to the Mac, then the right model can give you a good FSX experience and you'd find it hard to justify getting an extra PC just for FSX - you'll already have a very capable FSX machine.Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Alex

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.

42%
    $10,690.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now