Sign in to follow this  
777-Pilot

How to get more Frames ?

Hi!I fly the NGX since a couple of months now and I am very impressed of the nice graphics up to date.I often fly at big sceneries (Paris Orly, Schiphol) from Aerosoft, but at this airports I only get about 10 FPS.With default planes my frames are much better.I already tweaked my FSX.cfg with Bojotes tweaking tool (http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html) but this did not help much.My system specs are the following:RAM: 6GBGraphics: ATI Radeon HD 4800 SeriesCPU: Intel Core i7 920 2,67 GHzHard Disk: 1000 GBIs there somebody with similar specs and good (15-18) frames?Have you any tips what to do to get better frames?Hope you can help meCheersDavid

Best thing you could do for performance is buy an aftermarket cooler & overclock your CPU. (you may not be able to if it's a pre-built PC)

That CPU you could overclock!Go to YouTube and search for i7 920 overclock.What I seen is that 4,0Ghz is not impossibly, but require a good cooler./ Leffe

Definitely clock this sucker... 4.0 is possible, but go for 3.0 and then add a notch up if temps allow. Tweaks is one thing but nothing is better than good clock speed. I have 4.0 and really I puch it up to limits and I manage to get lowest mid teens, sooo... go for it. Also, consider reducing autogen setting in cfg file. Believe me, going down by 50% will still give stunning result.

Tom Link

That would give the single largest performance boost, yes.It's also the cheapest way to improve performance.

Thank you for your help, I will try that.As I am not experienced with that, some questions:How do I overclock the CPU...blush.png ? Do I have to use an extra program or do that manually?Have you got some tips on that?David

Give a search on google for overclocking your particular CPu model. Most likely there are tutorials by experienced users on this. Typically if your motherboard has the correct features,(prebuilt computers may not have these features) you can perform the overclocking and other system changes on the BIOS screen before you load your OS, no need for extra programs I believe. And as mentioned, the cooler is quite important for system stability at higher clock speeds.Marcus Jian

David,I have a similar issue but cannot Overclock my system CPU. So I have been looking at the GPU and what my system could manage. The following thread provides some really good advice,http://forum.avsim.net/topic/346449-upgrade-cpu-or-gpu/page__fromsearch__1 I feel bad because I have not upgraded the Graphics card yet, finances are tight and I am weighing up the decision to upgrade the graphics card or build a system around a very good Power supply Unit. Hope you find the answer. At Heathrow Extreme with a lot of AI I get 16 FPS but the occasional drop to 8 or 9 when I change view.

Dave Boreham

Quick way to get more frames? Move your mouse to the upper left corner of your screen over the 'strange' light sensor window gauge thingy.

I had better frame rates with reducing the color depht from 32 bit to 16 bit ( 1920x1080x16) in FSX-Options-settings -displaysThe difference in quality is acceptable

Hi!I fly the NGX since a couple of months now and I am very impressed of the nice graphics up to date.I often fly at big sceneries (Paris Orly, Schiphol) from Aerosoft, but at this airports I only get about 10 FPS.With default planes my frames are much better.I already tweaked my FSX.cfg with Bojotes tweaking tool (http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html) but this did not help much.My system specs are the following:RAM: 6GBGraphics: ATI Radeon HD 4800 SeriesCPU: Intel Core i7 920 2,67 GHzHard Disk: 1000 GBIs there somebody with similar specs and good (15-18) frames?Have you any tips what to do to get better frames?Hope you can help meCheersDavid
CPU overclockBert Van Bulck

I envy you for the huge boost in performance you are going to achieve by overclocking your CPU. Get it at least to 3.5 GHz. You can do that easily by adjusting frequencies, without touching voltages. 4.0 GHz should be perfectly doable if you are willing to get yours fingers dirty tweaking you motheboard.I have an i7-860, which is a worse CPU than yours. It is running at 4.4 GHz! When I fly over busy airports the CPU cooling fan goes so fast that it seems like the whole computer wants to take off himself.

Hi!Thank to all of you for your replies!I think, I will give that a try and overclock the CPU.In Youtube I saw, that this is done via the BIOS menu, but because my system is a prebuild PC, this option is not avaible. Do you have another idea what program or tool I could use?RegardsDavid

Depending on the model, you may be able to flash a bios from the motherboard manufacturer. Trying this could turn your PC into an expensive trotline weight if you don't know what you're doing though.