Sign in to follow this  
Dragonmount

Realistic short hops for airliners?

KLM Sends MD-11s to:Aruba Bonaire Curacao Toronto Panama Quito Maracaribo San Fran(sometimes) St Maarten Good routes from Amsterdam for the MD

Add to the above:They occasionally sen the MD on the EHAM CYYC route as well...although that ain't a short leg.

I forgot this was about short flights :)Back to KLM and the MDThey fly St Maarten to Aruba/Curacao/Bonaire which is just under an hour. That's a good short hop (for any plane really)

BA use the 777/747-400 Bahrain to Doha (OBBI-OTBD-OBBI) around 80 miles, block time is 20 minutes and crz is around FL140/FL150MD11F and 744F have a huge amount of routes under 200nm in the real world and you can find a lot of shorthaul 744 routes.Another BA 744 route is Kingston/Montego bay Jamaica. Pretty sure it's less the 100nm I used to fly that a lot when I was younger with British Caledonian on the 747-200Not sure why some simmers created the myth that heavys are not used for shorthaul. When I fly the 744 to Doha the aircraft is packed. Qatar airways operates four A330 aircraft on this route everyday.The shortest flight I know of is OBBI - OEDF. Gulf air used to operate an A340-300 trip is 60 miles!
while heavies can be found on short routes .. that are few and far between. So if you are into real world commercial routes... then you will be very limited flying a 747 on a 100nm flight.

mate, you can't go past Sydney to Melbourne in Australia (ie. YSSY-YMML) - apparently one of the worlds busiest routes (if not the busiest) - only 1h 20ms or so. IRL you only cruise for about 30 mins or so before you're in descent again! lol.Try it on vatsim - this route is usually regularly staffed by VATPAC guys (who are excellent).

SWA877 Southwest Airlines Aircraft Boeing 737-700 (twin-jet) (B737) Origin Terminal 2 / Gate H7 / Minneapolis/St Paul Intl (KMSP ) Destination Gate B17 / Chicago Midway Intl (KMDW) Route UKN3 DBQ CVA MOTIF4 Date Monday, November 21 2011 Duration 1 hours 15 minutes Status Scheduled/Delayed Distance Direct: 349 sm Planned: 440 Scheduled Actual/Estimated Departure 18:50 CST Arrival 20:05 CST

PHX-LAS is the shortest flight I've been on in a real life NG (SWA 700) - takes about 40 minutes.
EICA - EIIM ~ 6minutes

okay, you want a REAL challenge? NFFN-NFNA (Nadi Int'l to Nausori airport) in Fiji - Air Pacific used to do B738 flights from Sydney to Nausori (which has a 6,129 ft rwy) and vice versa, but would park the B738 at Nadi overnight. This is the ferry flight and takes about 30 mins or less. landing in NFNA is....interesting :) pretty much almost min runway required.

Living in Australia, I can come up with Brisbane to Sydney, Sydney to Melbourne, Melbourne to Adelaide, etc. I sometimes use the 744 on Sydney-Brisbane, If I'm not using the NGX. Big%20Grin.gif

Thanks,

Kevin L

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Living in Australia, I can come up with Brisbane to Sydney, Sydney to Melbourne, Melbourne to Adelaide, etc. I sometimes use the 744 on Sydney-Brisbane, If I'm not using the NGX. Big%20Grin.gif
looks like we're in the same area mate! for some pretty scenery, try YBBN-YBHM - brisbane to hamilton island...velly nice

I live in Vancouver and do most of my flights here with Orbx scenery. I am also a Westjet fan.CYVR-CYLW Vancouver-Kelowna. Nice valley approach to 16 via TOSUSCYVR-CYYC. Vancouver-Calgary.CYVR-CYEG. Vancouver-EdmontonCYYC-KSFO. Calgary-San Fransisco.PAKT-PANC. Ketchikan-Anchorage.

looks like we're in the same area mate! for some pretty scenery, try YBBN-YBHM - brisbane to hamilton island...velly nice
Yep, I'm near YBBN. Big Grin.gif

Thanks,

Kevin L

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

The 747-400 sometimes does the Sydney-Perth route in Australia on Qantas.
At over 2,000 miles Sydney-Perth is not exactly a short hop.