Sign in to follow this  
RobbieHe

FSX vs. X-Plane

Back in the day, it was suggested that while MSFS had the better scenery and airport details that X-Plane had better flight dynamics. Is that still the belief today?Thanks,RH

Let me try to nip this off quick ;)Both platforms are aweful out of the box. Both are capable when modded by talented developers. Overall FSX has better mod support.

FSX has better usability, and with addon scenery looks more realistic. The flight dynamics really don't matter that much. You can use both sims for procedural and fly by the numbers training, but compared to how it feels to fly in real life both sims are way off.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

FSX has better usability, and with addon scenery looks more realistic. The flight dynamics really don't matter that much. You can use both sims for procedural and fly by the numbers training, but compared to how it feels to fly in real life both sims are way off.
I don't agree with that assessment either. We sometimes get those "wow" moments, where the perceived "feel" of the sim, seems close to real. It definitely is a mind game, but it can work, and is possible, as I've experienced it numerous times. These day's, both sims are capable of the "Wow" factor. As previously mentioned, it really depends on the experience of the programmer.Personally, I don't use sims much for procedural training. I use them to visit airports before I do in real life, compare the advances in virtual reality to real life; and always looking for that "Wow" factor..

Let me try to nip this off quick ;)Both platforms are aweful out of the box. Both are capable when modded by talented developers. Overall FSX has better mod support.
They are not awful out of the box .... ATC, Airports, Roads, Vehicles, and so forth .

I love chicken noodle soup.Dumplings are better...but a pain to make.I also love spicy Thai noodle soup with prawns.See what I did there :(

AVSIM Staff Reviewer
Bush Is Good!
banTedG01.jpg

Hi,My guess is................Wait for it............................You want soup :( ..............All kidding aside, the two main reasons I do not like XPlane10 is the Plausible World aspect as well as the lack of third party support from some of the major third party addon developers.

I love chicken noodle soup.Dumplings are better...but a pain to make.I also love spicy Thai noodle soup with prawns.See what I did there :(
Edited by Mike_CFII_MEL

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Hi,That's Funny and I've waited on that line for soup.

No Soup for you!!!!
Edited by Mike_CFII_MEL

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Oh jeese, where's that dead horse icon again?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Here is what I am doing. When there is patch or RC, I try the demo again. I fly and I evaluate. I determine if I like it yet. If not, I wait for the next patch. Repeat. I want to like it I really do but I just can't stop comparing it to FSX. The reason I compare to FSX is because I like FSX. It is that simple. Everyone has a means to which they gauge something.Bob

Here is what I am doing. When there is patch or RC, I try the demo again. I fly and I evaluate. I determine if I like it yet. If not, I wait for the next patch. Repeat. I want to like it I really do but I just can't stop comparing it to FSX. The reason I compare to FSX is because I like FSX. It is that simple. Everyone has a means to which they gauge something.Bob
You've summed up my view perfectly. I'm of the mind that we can and should have many viable flight simulation options, and I try to avoid "taking sides", as it were. So far, X-Plane hasn't presented anything to make me want to purchase and stick with it. I really want it to, but it seems like it just falls short. I really wish Austin Meyer and the gang at Laminar success, and I hope they eventually cross that threshold that turns X-Plane from a curiosity to a keeper for me.

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.

A FSX vs X-plane topic in the FSX forum? Oh we surely won't get any bias in here.
You will get an honest opinion with RW pilotsBob Edited by N1G