Sign in to follow this  
curt1

Enjoy long haul flights?

I normally have 60 to 90 minutes available for my simming sessions, so the NGX works great in that time frame. I love PMDG products, and I'm trying to figure out how to adapt to long-haul flights with their T7 or 747. Is long haul fun, and how much time do you need to set aside? I'm looking for opinions to see if my simming style will work with the larger Boeings.

You don't have to fly long haul flights with the 777 and 747. Both of those aircraft are used on numerous short and medium haul routes where high capacity is desired. Besides, this is a simulator - not every route you fly has to correspond to a real world one.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

You don't have to fly long haul flights with the 777 and 747. Both of those aircraft are used on numerous short and medium haul routes where high capacity is desired.
Right. There are a few American 772s that fly between KMIA and KLAX and even some Delta 772s that fly between places as close as Atlanta and Detroit (an 80 minute flight). There are more carriers that do this... Of course, the majority of the 777s and 747s IRL do fly long haul or super long haul, but if passenger frequency is high enough, they will be used, sometimes even daily.

Best regards, happy flying,

Wallace

United even has a KSFO-KLAX flight on a B777. However, it is likely the only reason they run it is for aircraft repositioning.

United even has a KSFO-KLAX flight on a B777. However, it is likely the only reason they run it is for aircraft repositioning.
Really? There must be high demand for that flight!!

To answer thr OP...I Do NOT enjoy letting "George" do all the work for a day at a time to only "show up" to do a mostly automated landing as is done IRL. However, the 777, 747, and MD-11F all have real world counterparts doing high density short-ish distance routes. If and when PMDG release the 777F I will do lots of KMEM-based stuff that doesn't require I set up a kitchen, sleeping bag, and "pilot relief tube" next to my PC.I am buying the big birds because I want to support PMDG and because I love quality stuff.

Really? There must be high demand for that flight!!
I just looked at the schedule for next week and there is no B777 service on KSFO-KLAX. However, I swear they used to! (Here is the A.net thread to prove it: http://bit.ly/H1a04c)

It's your $$$. You fly your addons however you like.FedEx has a daily MD10 from EWR to IAD. That plane has been a MD11 before. Also have gotten tail swapped MD11s from KMEM. I'm sure there will be a 777 on such a short route. I've also looked in Asia and there are flight using 747-400s for short duration flights (under three hours). The point is: there are oppurtunities to fly long haul aircraft on short "legs".If none of that floats your boat, use time acceleration. I won't tell anyone!

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

I personally LOVE Long Haul. I've finished School and moved out to California with family so this Year I'll have a lot of spare time as I'm only training once a week for now. I don't personally sit there the full Flight (depending on Flight Time) but if the Center/Area is online on Vatsim I do. I do other things like Youtube etc and just monitor the Flight, if I need to pop out it flies itself and I make sure I have no important things coming up like Switching the fuel tanks.The 777 flies as everyone says, every kind of route! BA Flies them up to GLA/EDI sometimes, only 45 minutes up north depending in winds etc. I personally cannot wait to do some Ultra Long Hauls in the UAE 77L & 77W! All need now is a good OMDB FSX Addon as I know lots of people will be flying her under the UAE callsign! But me mostly BAW as they're hopefully going to be my future Airline in a Year and a bit :(

For me I d'ont really care of long medium or short range, what I enjoy is the high level of these products, and to see what it is being behind the command, from a simple ATR 72 to the 747. And sure you can fly whatever length you wish in FS :) Just gotta be carefull on maximum landing weight though I would say as this would be the most important criteria if I'm right for short haul flight.And even with long haul flights, hopefully FSX have time advance feature, which you can use while in cruise for example, and just continue monitoring everything properly.

Cant say I enjoy long haul much. Im more of a short-medium kind of guy. I fly long haul pretty much twice per year (cross the pond).

The Boeing 747-400D is used for Tokyo-Sapporo flights in Japan, and Delta has a 777-200LR go from KLAX-KATL to reposition the jets from the Sydney route for the Johannesburg route. Boeing 747's are also used between Hong Kong and Tokyo, Taipei and Tokyo...Air France even used an A380 from Paris to London-Heathrow during summer over the years past.

Inactive

As far as i know, Singapore airlines used or still uses B772 for flights from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur which is also a very short hop...

I think Delta still operates a 777-200LR from Atlanta to Detroit. I will be defiantly flying that route a lot.

Air France even used an A380 from Paris to London-Heathrow during summer over the years past.
I did it but it was nothing like regular, they did this as a promotional flights, rates were very cheap, so I did the round trip just to get a chance to fly it :) But from what I understood it was also to take advantage of this to train crews with a short trip like this as you can make much more shifts than on long haul flights. They never did it again since then. I believe it was using the A380 that was then assigned to the Paris / Tokyo route if I remember correctly.