Sign in to follow this  
KeithyGeorge

Phantom light? Any ideas how to turn it off

You switched the switch off or only lifted the guard? It is a 3 way position switch under the guard, if guard will be closed the switch will move to ARMED, to turn it back OFF guard must be opened AND switch moved to OFF ;)

Regards

Andrea Daviero

Andrea, in my case, emergency lights might have been somehow inadvertently powered on, but could not be turned off, I tried.

Fabo, sorry, I've seen your nick only now. So probably you already tried to switch them off.

So, it can be possible that a saved panel status could be damaged and this causes a problem with the emer lights or the dome ones.

Or, it could be a problem limited to one session of FSX or, in the worst case, a problem after the installation. I had problems with fonts, with idle, other had other problems, if the problem is still present a re-install could help. Make sure about saved panel state ;)

I'm curious: what is the intention of turning on the emergency light if the aircraft is not fully powered?

Oliver Branaschky

As Fabo wrote, he inadvertently switched them on.

It is something you could do also if you want some lights at night and the flashlights are not usable.

It also could be used to test the lights, or, in case of emergency obviously ;)

Regards

Andrea Daviero

As Fabo wrote, he inadvertently switched them on.

It is something you could do also if you want some lights at night and the flashlights are not usable.

It also could be used to test the lights, or, in case of emergency obviously ;)

Allright, but then again I picture myself at night, over water, for what it's worth, with some kind of emergency, trying desperately to see things outside. Now there's a shiny bright light coming on, destroying the last residue of my night vision... Why?

Oliver Branaschky

They are called emergency exit lights, if you are inflight, and you loose power, you will switch them off as they will discharge.

The lights are used only to evacuate the plane when landed, lights are placed inside the plane, and also outside to illuminate the areas around the doors, wings and down from the flaps.

There is no need to have tham inflight and it is something unwanted.

But, the lights must be mantained for the entire NORMAL flight to ARMED as in that position the battery packs will be charged.

Regards

Andrea Daviero

Its not like emerg lights are some 200W bulbs anyway... Not a bright light in your face. But yes, you can turn them off..

btw. I would like to know how would fluorescent cabin floor stripes "work" in that situation (say a ETOPS 120 diversion at night with cabin lts cut off...)

Most airlines are moving from lamps to photoluminescent path markings, we did on some classic 1 and half year ago.

If the cabin was previously illuminated and for a sufficient time, photoluminescent path marking will ensure at least an half hour of light (theorically) this comply to normal regulations, for ETOPS I don't know if another system (like with lamps) is required or if the photoluminescent path is sufficient. I need to find more info about them.

Regards

Andrea Daviero

I have seen this when flying from day to night, Have always figured it was FSX dawn dusk smoothing causing this, as it does not occur starting the flight at night.

I too have this when flying from day to night. It is very annoying because that is my favourate time to fly. and it really puts me off. It is as if my cockpit refuses to darken with the outside world.

If anyone has any idea how to stop this from happening I would be most pleased.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

Ok, tried and tested, if I switch the dome light on from the upper, upper panel, then switch back off, in VC it remains on ? Even though it's off ???

I too have this when flying from day to night. It is very annoying because that is my favourate time to fly. and it really puts me off. It is as if my cockpit refuses to darken with the outside world.

It's not pretty but one solution is to save the flight, restart FSX, and reload the flight. Worked for me when I ran across the problem tonight.

Charles Nadeau

Hi, thanks for everyone's comments and suggestions. I tried them and still have the issue, as other people have said, a mystery cockpit light seems to turn on when going from day to night and can not be turned off. It seems I am not the only one experiencing this and it a immersion spoiler, so I would love to hear if someone from PMDG has any ideas??

Ps if it makes a difference it definitley seems like a light as it seems to light in a large circle in near the throttle area lighting up panels with it, whereas if I just start a flight in darkness I have no issues and all panels are very dark.

Thanks

Keithy George

I found the answer in the manuals, didn't you?

If your going to give a vague answer like that, than why bother

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Dazz!!! You said Could be the smoke system. I mean the assignment in FSX for "Smoke System ON-OFF"

Default key "I" for India

Thats it, I tried that beofre but it did not work, I tried again but this time press and hold I and it turned off!!!

Thanks very much problem solved.

It seems had assigned I to operate the HUD and when I clicked that assignment on my Yoke to bring the hud down the light came on.

Thanks again

Keithy George