Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SirStiggie

Any non-747 recommendations for long range flights?

I'm looking for payware recommendations for aircraft for long flights, say London to Sydney that are not the 747. It must be close to the real thing aka all the systems and procedures required to fly the real bird are the same for the simulated bird. I'd also like to know of any problems with the recommendations such as installation problems/errors, problems using the product, and responsiveness and efficacy of the product support team.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I guess, for those very LR flights, you would have to check the 777 renditions coming up or being in the test stage. On shorter routes, some 767 rendition or the MD-11 may float your boat. No nice A340 or A380 available, so the Boeing planes are the ones to go.

Are they really flying London-Sydney non-stop on a regular basis by the way? And with some payload? Newark-Sydney seems to be a regular on the longest non-stop runs, being some 1000nm shorter. A340-500.

Can't wait for the 777 eh? :)

Have you looked into the MD-11 from PMDG? People speak very highly of it.

The only downside I know of is no voice enabled FS2Crew, but you can use multi crew experience for that.

Go the MD11, full realism, all systems simulated, nice challenge to master.

I use it with voice MCE control and love it!! There are lots of videos on you tube.

I don't mind Boeing's, I'd just rather fly something other than the ubiquitous 747. However, if there is a REALLY nice 747 out there, I would consider it,

I don't mind Boeing's, I'd just rather fly something other than the ubiquitous 747. However, if there is a REALLY nice 747 out there, I would consider it,

PMDG...

I think the PMDG 747 deserves its fans, but it will present itself with a rather old tech on the optics and, first of all, operation of knobs and switches in the VC. The MD-11 may be the better choice. She still comes in very nicely. I'd say that the MD-11 plus Multi Crew Experience (MCE) make a nice team.

And the 767 variants around are worth a look too. Any 777 there is hasn't reached 1.0 yet.

Go the MD11, full realism, all systems simulated, nice challenge to master.

I use it with voice MCE control and love it!! There are lots of videos on you tube.

Sorry for the double post!

There is fs2crew for the md11 just not voice

Lee

Sent using Tapatalk

Also the PMDG 747 is being remade with similar tech to the NGX, so if it's Boeing you want, best to wait.

Otherwise the other choices..

I think the PMDG 747 deserves its fans, but it will present itself with a rather old tech on the optics and, first of all, operation of knobs and switches in the VC

Agree with CoolIP on this one. The 747 model is fine, but the visuals and controls leave a lot to be desired. I have to admit I didn't buy the upgrade to the "required" model , so I can't speak for any enhancements made since. I did a few long trips in it, but a little frustrated with controls and such, went right back to the 737 and the shorter hauls.

I will buy the MD-11 very soon, and have to say it's not money holding me back, but the sheer anticipation of another great craft from the makers of the NGX. I look at their screen-shots of the 11 almost daily and don't want to be disappointed when I finally cave in.

MD-11 from PMDG is probably the most realistic alternative, but it doesn't have the range for a flight from London to Sydney without at least one stop, since even in a pretty much direct line it is over 10,500 miles from London to Sydney. The extended range variant of the MD-11 can just about make it 7,000 miles, less with a big payload, so it's definitely going to mean a stop in Singapore or somewhere like that for a UK to Oz trip.

Some variants of the A340 can do about 9,000 miles at a push, but 8,000 is more like it with any appreciable load, and although the Wilco A340 is not perfect (that being your best choice at the moment), it isn't as bad as some people would have you believe, so it is one to consider

Although of course you gain nothing in non stop ability over the MD-11, since the A340 can't do London to Sydney in one go either, however, the A340 can do some flights that the MD-11 could not do legally, nor the B777 to for that matter, since with four engines, the A340 does not need to adhere to ETOPS limitations, which is in fact why Qantas and a few other airlines who do long over water trips in that part of the world were interested in the A340, and why they wanted the A380 and the 747 as opposed to twins. Twin engined reliability is of course pretty good these days, but you can't fly everywhere on ETOPS rules, some remote places where there's a lot of ocean to cross are still off limits, as are some parts of the poles.

FSL have an A340 coming eventually, but don't hold you breath waiting for it, if you want one now, then the Wilco one is about the only game in town, and as noted, it's better than some people would have you believe, not perfect, but certainly fairly convincing. And of course the A340 is a very elegant looking bird.

Al

I assumed there was a stopover because that's what 747s usually do on that route.. most commonly in Singapore or Hong Kong but depends on the airline. I've stopped in Singapore, Hong Kong, Bangkok, and Tokyo before.

Even the A380 doesn't take us all the way when I fly to London, although if they took less passengers, more fuel, and less profit they could take us all the way in one go :)

the Wilco one is about the only game in town

There is also the CLS A340 (Either the 200/300 variant with the A330 or the standalone 500/600 package) and it seems that it's pretty good with the ISG Sim Avionics upgrade. The ISG package, IIRC, can also be installed into the Overland Airbus package as well as some freeware ones.

Dubai is also a common stopover these days. I used to fly via various stopovers like Singapore/Kuala Lumpa/Bangkok in past years but in recent years Dubai is the better route from here. 777 being used on the longer 11 hour trip across the ocean. They are all stopover flights from UK to Australia.

My vote is the PMDG MD-11, It is still an amazing bird to fly.

Also, no airline is doing non-stop LHR-SYD simply because no aircraft exist which could legally do it anyway. A stop somehwere is madatory. I do believe however that BA were doing non-stop London to Perth with a 772LR but they still needed a stopover for the return leg because of winds.

True, but then again, in FSX we can do a three-pointer on the Whitehouse lawn if we want to, and that'd be illegal as well, so a non-stopper to Oz, providing you can stay awake, is something we can do too if we like.

Al

The big Concorde fan that I am, but she will drop out of the sky after some 3500nm, which isn't even half way through the long routes the OP was looking at. I saw some 3700-3800 too, but that's about it. Well, still a good idea though, but she will need some refuelling stop.

I've heard the catering on board was among the best on planet Earth. Big%20Grin.gif

Thanks for all the responses. Maybe London to Sydney was a little ambitious so how about New York to London, New York to LA or LA to Hawaii?

If you like realism, you would also have to bear in mind that Concorde was quite limited on the routes that it could take because of the supersonic shockwave.

It was of course fine over the Atlantic, but en route to Australia from the UK, it would be passing over a lot of countries, and on routes where it would overfly land masses, it either had to detour or throttle back, Malaysia and India being two countries which lodged such complaints.

Still if you eschew realism, you can go supersonic wherever the hell you like in FSX, and you'll be in no danger of FOD from bits having fallen off Continental Airlines DC-10s either, nor cheap and nasty Air France remoulds.

Al

Point taken, Alan. Only water makes the lady fast, while landmass complains sooner or later. Although I did receive some VATSIM clearances right over populated parts of the soccer playing Europe. The gentlemen that I am was, I stayed at 0.95 though. You can still catch the slowliners with that.

Maybe London to Sydney was a little ambitious so how about New York to London, New York to LA or LA to Hawaii?

Ha, in comes the Concorde again. Seriously, if you would like something different, she really is worth thinking about and that FSL rendition is pretty darn good. On the subsonic planes, I'd vote for the MD-11 (PMDG) when it comes to a modern and very detailed setup. With the classic gauges, that A300 (Simcheck) or 707 (Captain Sim) are my choice. That's just from my long list of favourites though.