Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

So who's made the switch from FSX?

A question for mods:

XPlane is good for a mac user and some one who dos not want payware like pmdg fsx is more realistic because of compines like PMDG and A2A.

A question for mods: can posts like this one above, be reported as trolling? Genuine question, I'd like to know.

Marco

"They're pissing on our heads and they tell us they're pissing on our heads, but we say it's raining because we don't want to be labeled 'conspiracy theorists' ".

A question for mods:

A question for mods: can posts like this one above, be reported as trolling? Genuine question, I'd like to know.

Marco

How could this possibly be trolling i am just express my opinon based on my expierence with both.

A question for mods:

Marco

How is this Gentlemen trolling?

X-Plane doesn't have good 3rd party support at the moment, though it is getting much better. Personally i keep downloading the demo (so far pretty much every version i have been able), i really want to love X-Plane but it's too idiosyncratic and bland. I'm no 'fan-boy' though, if major developers like A2A and PMDG jump ship i'll follow. FSX is now 6 years old, i can't think if anything else i use as frequently that is half of that age (computer wise), it's time for a replacement and X-Plane is getting very close now.

Ian R Tyldesley

X-Plane doesn't have good 3rd party support at the moment, though it is getting much better.

Agreed. Something we all have to keep in mind when evaluating XP is that we're not comparing the $70 XP product against a $30 FSX plus $1000 worth of add-ons. Or, I guess we can compare, but bear that in mind (the need to buy new add-ons is part of the cost of switching). That said, I suspect that 3rd-party support is going to become a factor in favor of XP fairly soon, since MS has basically been turning everybody away.

When the time to switch is right is a call for each to make, but I know I that if I were about to buy an add-on it wouldn't be for FSX at this point.

X-Plane doesn't have good 3rd party support at the moment, though it is getting much better. Personally i keep downloading the demo (so far pretty much every version i have been able), i really want to love X-Plane but it's too idiosyncratic and bland. I'm no 'fan-boy' though, if major developers like A2A and PMDG jump ship i'll follow. FSX is now 6 years old, i can't think if anything else i use as frequently that is half of that age (computer wise), it's time for a replacement and X-Plane is getting very close now.

I agree. I'm just waiting my time I think...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

lol, gee, thanks.

I wouldn't take it personally :) . It's fair to say from people coming here from FSX that there is not the large collection of 3rd party option available.

yep ... third party support needs to improve. It appears that it might get better.

yep ... third party support needs to improve. It appears that it might get better.

If you could throw out some examples, Tierborn, I'd be very interested to know what support issues you are speaking of.

Any bad experiences you have had yourself? Products involved?

I think it would benefit everyone else who sees this.

third party support in terms of developers generating content to plug the "missing" content in XPX.

Missing content:

1. Seasonal textures

2. working ATC

3. Airport buildings

4. More Carenado/PMDG quality aircraft

5. Better quality of the plausible world for the whole globe (urban areas, autogen, etc.)

6. Various improvements and refinements in the weather engine.

I've just flown a circuit at EGHI (Southampton) in a PA28 182 (Piper Archer). It was real weather, late evening with a crosswind and strong gusts. My PPL (IR) lapsed a good many years ago but this circuit was the closest I've got to the real thing in 40 years of flying simulators. I had to boss that little aeroplane tonight to maintain heading (allowing for drift) and adjust airspeed - despite all the buffetting. I was being blown all over the sky - just like it was real. Finals was sporting to say the least and even on the rollout, I had to use into wind aileron to stop the wing lifting. Amazing stuff!

I love the eye candy, the AI, the superb panels, exteriors etc in FS9 and FSX. I enjoy the huge range of addons available. But for realistic general aviation flying, X-Plane gets my vote every time.

Supporter.png

John

But for realistic general aviation flying, X-Plane gets my vote every time.

As a still legal & current GA pilot, I'd still like to consider it a draw, at best.

L.Adamson

If you could throw out some examples, Tierborn, I'd be very interested to know what support issues you are speaking of.

I am certain he is not talking about after sales support of an xplane addon he has purchased. He is obviously talking about the room that exists for more 3rd party developers to develop for xplane.

I really dont see that there needs to be a debate about it, nothing said could be offensive or worth arguing about?

I think it's just a case of "more" third parties. FSX may be six years old, but so what? The basic FSX program, has been worked around for years, by third parties, and it's not dying yet, by any means. Of course, those of you, who haven't used it much in the past few years, wouldn't have a clue. In the meantime, yes, XP10 is going to need a lot more 3rd party developers supporting the sim. I know that at this point, it's the "available" added content for FSX that's still attracting me to that sim. And it's all "new" products, which are far from something dead and dying.............as is often insinuated on this forum.

L.Adamson

Not arguing or debating. But if someone is having support issues with a product (the way I interpret his context), then it needs to be known. Not for my sake as a developer or customer, but for the entire X plane community and potential FSX->X-plane converts or joiners.

If he wasn't talking about support for 3rd party products, then it's a moot point.

I've seen FSX users out 3rd party developers who offer poor support. Ariane is a prime example. The same should be done for the X Plane arena.