Sign in to follow this  
c97019

Plane cockpit tease..

Im guessing they want to feed off the Alaska buz before it dies down, and also quiet the cockpit whiners like me.

I would also like to add that people who support cockpits should buy the SH out of this, even if they are not 100% in love with the Carbon Cub. Why? It shows your true support for cockpit upgrades or deluxe aircraft. Lets send MS a message of what we want to pay for!

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

Honestly you can' judge a GPS's functionality just by it's topography screen.

I know, but the part of the GPS you see in the teasershot is EXACTLY the same as the GPS in the Icon, up to the fragments of the compass rose: it's not only the topo screen but also the lack of anything else you normally see in that lower left corner of a GPS... :onscreen information but also hardware buttons... I predict a very basic moving map and not what I would call a GPS device suited for complete navigation. :wink:

I love all the comments like " I just deleted Flight from my hard drive, darn"... " I set my computer on fire because of no -cockpit" and so on... Slick bunch on that Facebook page. :Nerd:

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I know, but the part of the GPS you see in the teasershot is EXACTLY the same as the GPS in the Icon, up to the fragments of the compass rose: it's not only the topo screen but also the lack of anything else you normally see in that lower left corner of a GPS... :onscreen information but also hardware buttons... I predict a very basic moving map and not what I would call a GPS device suited for complete navigation. :wink:

We shall see.. I will wait for feedback though.. No more impulse buying (that's what MS is feeding off of right now). I will wait and read feedback when it comes out. I honestly don't see the point of even adding a completely useless GPS glass unit in it.. Rip it out, leave a blank panel and just keep it pure vacuum gauges other wise part of your money is being purely spent on pretty color moving things.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

This is the GPS in the 182 I flew in Anchorage. Basically a moving map with some basic Nav stuff, but is used by the owner to show him where he is for the most part. He had it just mounted to a bracket and bolted to the panel.

182panel.jpg

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

This is the GPS in the 182 I flew in Anchorage. Basically a moving map with some basic Nav stuff, but is used by the owner to show him where he is for the most part. He had it just mounted to a bracket and bolted to the panel.

182panel.jpg

Yeah, a lot of pilots go with that option for light GA aircraft instead of fitting in panel units. Hey as long as it gets the job done. :) It doesn't need to look pretty, it just needs to work.

RAM-Suction-02.jpg

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Could always insert a small tablet in the opening, and watch Netflix while flying.

Good Luck getting a signal out there... even with Verizon. :Applause:

Yeah, a lot of pilots go with that option for light GA aircraft instead of fitting in panel units. Hey as long as it gets the job done. :) It doesn't need to look pretty, it just needs to work.

RAM-Suction-02.jpg

It's been a few years, but that looks like the same one.

The last thing they are doing is messing; it's a shrewd bit of marketing.

People bought the Alaska D/L because they'd been waiting so long for something new for Flight that they were ready to accept anything, including a Cub with no cockpit, since it seemed a mere bonus to the scenery. But now they see a cockpit being dangled in front of them, and the release of cockpitless aeroplanes in the preceding weeks served to build the anticipation for one with a cockpit. So the majority will doutbles pay for the 'upgrade' to a cockpit because they are already some way in it money-wise, it having been 'given' to them by virtue of purchasing Alaska.

It was quite obviously a marketing ploy to do it that way, and a clever one too. Let's say you have to pay 10 bucks for the cockpit version: If it had been grouped in with Alaska, that'd be a less palatable 25 bucks which Alaska would have been pitched at if the package had been all in one with the Cub's cockpit. To be fair, if it is a good rendition, that is still very favourable price-wise compared to typical FS scenery and aeroplanes, but we remain locked in as far as choice goes, which is the downside to it in contrast to FS, where there are, to my knowledge, three payware Cubs, and many other alternatives available beyond the one you already get with it anyway.

MS certainly do know what they are doing: When people are overjoyed and thrilled to see something as basic as a Piper Cub cockpit showing up and raving about it with the same fervour as though it was a fully-realistic PMDG L-1011 Tristar or something, you have to say that MS have really done a good job of hooking people, and that's not all.

We all know that they should really have done a Twotter or a G21 or Beaver or something equally suitable for Alaska, and not really a Cub, even a nice one. And it is a safe bet that such a more suitable aircraft will the next thing you will see, and you'll need it to cover Alaska, which you'll already have bought, so then you'll need to buy that. Nothing wrong with this if you enjoy it of course, but it feels a little bit too much like having a ring through my nose to me.

Al

You put it down very well !! That is the strategy !! and the way flight users are hooked up into the dlc spiral !!

This is indeed great news, I will certainly purchase a VC when it is released, now matter how much or how little the GPS might be detailed, I will definitely be showing my support for working virtual cockpits.

Ahh, gotcha, didn't even notice at first. They're using the panel with the small Garmin Aera 550, and yep I now see the compass rose.. Yep.. The crappy and featureless moving map.. *shakes head*...

Oh well their lose... :)

Basically a moving map with some basic Nav stuff

Garmin GPSMAP 396

• WAAS-enabled
  • GXM 30A Smart Antenna for XM Satellite Radio Services (subscription necessary)
  • Terrain/obstacle display with pop-up warnings
  • 3,000 user waypoints with an expanded list of waypoint symbols
  • 50 reversible routes with 300 waypoints per route

If that is basic, I am in. :wink: But I have a feeling we won't even get those 'basics' in the Cub.

Thing is, Flight is actually a very good flight simulator, so it's not actually a bad thing to be enamoured with it, nor even to buy all the DLCs if they appeal to you. But that said, I'm generally wary of hitting the buy now button as a pavlovian response instead of a rational one, and it seems to me that with DLC being scarce for Flight and only from one source, that is what we risk doing.

I'm surprised that MS didn't have a cache of DLC good to go upon launch, it would have made it feel a lot less like that was what we were experiencing. Still, that Carbon Cub might be very cool with a VC, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here