Sign in to follow this  
doorstep

A new (NGX) version of the wonderful MD-11

Nice work Luke but you can expect PMDG to request that you stop your work as they see it as reverse engineering of their product.  All we pay for is a license to use the product and they do not allow this kind of activity.

I recall a similar issue when a fellow AVSIM member redid the textures for the 747X and PMDG had to ask that he cease and desist.  

\Robert Hamlich/

Certainly looks awesome Luke.

Forgive me - what's ENB?

It's a mod that was originally made for San Andreas which changes the colours (more contrast/saturation etc.) but works in FSX. You can download it over at REX's forums (in the Free Stuff! section) - Tim has made three version of it (Sunlight, Natural and BlueSphere) and it's very easy to install and remove (you add three files and to remove it, just remove those files - it does nothing to your FSX installation, so well worth trying them out)

Note though that they do cause instability in some systems (I believe this is mostly GPU dependent). I had serious issues with using ENB on my last GPU, but it's fine on my current one (it'd crash FSX essentially).

Nice work Luke but you can expect PMDG to request that you stop your work as they see it as reverse engineering of their product.  All we pay for is a license to use the product and they do not allow this kind of activity.

I recall a similar issue when a fellow AVSIM member redid the textures for the 747X and PMDG had to ask that he cease and desist.  

That's because PMDG is doing a 747v2, so they didn't want others stomping on their work that will go into v2.  PMDG has publically stated they are not doing any further work on the MD-11, so this does still stand a chance.

Unfortunately, it does go against the EULA and PMDG won't allow it. Sorry guys!

Would you be willing to write (or link) to an article in which we can learn to do this ourselves?  I know my way around Photoshop and would be willing to do this for my own personal use.

Sucks though... Pretty ###### they aren't allowing mods to an airplane they don't even support anymore.

Has Ryan, pm'd you back and denied the sharing?

Would you be willing to write (or link) to an article in which we can learn to do this ourselves?  I know my way around Photoshop and would be willing to do this for my own personal use.

Sucks though... Pretty ###### they aren't allowing mods to an airplane they don't even support anymore.

I don't know if even this is allowed - would have to check.

Has Ryan, pm'd you back and denied the sharing?

Yep.

I don't know if even this is allowed - would have to check.

Yep.

Would have been nice if PMDG had came on and told us, surely they would have been aware this was a talked about topic just now, and gave us a reason APART from the eula as to why we can't.

do it.

Never mind, thanks anyway Luke :)

its not allowed to teach people??? #####!! We only would the new trext resolution not more. This is realy sad. Looks like a PMDG plane made for a FSX is a Hollywod game for playstaiton. There so much VC work for other planes out there like Aerosoft LEVEL D etc. PMDG should be thankful for the FREE work from people who make this from her heart and love to FlightSim. And share this love to the folks.

AS i say i sayd nothing by the same for the 747 as they make a new one. I hope i can learn how to set the resolution for the text and bring it to the people.

Im realy dissapointed and feel very sorry for Luke.  This is BIG minus point for PMDG i cant belive it.

its not allowed to teach people??? #####!! We only would the new trext resolution not more. This is realy sad. Looks like a PMDG plane made for a FSX is a Hollywod game for playstaiton. There so much VC work for other planes out there like Aerosoft LEVEL D etc. PMDG should be thankful for the FREE work from people who make this from her heart and love to FlightSim. And share this love to the folks.

AS i say i sayd nothing by the same for the 747 as they make a new one. I hope i can learn how to set the resolution for the text and bring it to the people.

Im realy dissapointed and feel very sorry for Luke.  This is BIG minus point for PMDG i cant belive it.

Yo certainly can teach people, but you can't teach people publicly how to reverse engineering a software that's not yours. That's why exists Open Source.

If you think that by paying you have the right to do whatever you want with it, you're mistaken. You pay for using it and nothing more.

I'm sure that if you contact Luke personally you can have the modification.

I think PMDG does not want that someone share with anyone how to do it. And I find that understandable.

That's what I think.

Edit: And I also think they are loosing a great work made from someone that does not ask anything in return.

Edited by masneoquil

Don't feel sorry for me, when I made this I had very little hope it'd be allowed to be shared so primarily made it for my own use. If anything, I feel bad for sharing this and getting people's hopes up.

It is frustrating, and I agree with you that it's silly - but the issue is that, ultimately, PMDG is a company and they have to protect their own interests. The EULA is there to stop people developing for an aircraft they may want to expand/upgrade at a later date, so in the case of the 744/NGX/777 this would make perfect sense. You're right, this is quite pedantic in the case of the MD-11, where you can be pretty sure they're never even going to develop for it further so this modification really doesn't harm PMDG as a business in any way (in fact, it has more potential for increasing MD-11 sales than anything else) but the issue lies in the fact that they set the EULA before they release it and, from what I understand, they can't just change the EULA to allow modifications on the MD-11 without everyone who currently uses it to agree to these new changes to the EULA.

PMDG have always come across, to me, as a bunch of serious simmers who are genuinely passionate about it. They certainly don't come across as the kind of people who would deny this being shared just because they can, or because they don't care about their customers - I think there are just serious legal complications with now allowing modifications on the MD-11.

Having said all this, I do think it's a bit silly and nonsensical but get the feeling this isn't PMDG's decision as much as it is the decision of the legal team who works for PMDG.

Guys,

I really don't think that PMDG do not want you to share the panel because they had a clause in EULA specifically not to compete with them by modifying their own project (the logic of this idea I do fail to comprehend at all).

My best guess is, it has to do with lawyers. Rob has already said they pay good money for lawyers, and if they say it is not a good idea - for whatever reason...

Let's just leave this at that.

I don't fly nor have much of an interest in the MD-11, but that's a superb job you've done Luke! 

Never get to say my name to someone else  :lol:

Can someone please explain to me what the difference is between the work he did on the panel not being ok to share; and the work others do to create liveries, and it is ok to share?