Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

betelgeuse

Piper aircraft

Can anyone recommend a payware or freeware PA28 type - Warrior, Archer, Arrow?   For either FSX or FS9. 

These planes are commonly used for training in UK and all over the world but for some reason they haven't been modelled by the usual players (Carenado did an Archer a long time ago - it needs updated).

What about it A2A, Real Air, Lionheart?  We've lots of Cessnas already. 

John

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Can anyone recommend a payware or freeware PA28 type - Warrior, Archer, Arrow?   For either FSX or FS9. 

The Carenado Arrow is OK.. and in it's day, the Dreamfleet Archer was nice in FS9..

Just Flght have an Archer and Warrior as part of their Flying Club series that can be picked up fairly cheap. They're older style (FS9 made flyable in FSX) and some of the graphics (like passengers) are a bit scary, but the planes fly quite nicely, with clickable VCs and basic avionics to replicate training flights. Certainly not A2A quality - but not A2A prices either.

There's also a Seneca in this series if you want to stay in Pipers but move up to light twins.

Presume you know about Lionheart's Pacer/ Tri-pacer pack already (?)

A2A has announced a Cherokee series (multiple variants) that will follow their Cessna 172. No ETA yet but it's the next item in their new GA line.

Alan_A, on 26 Jun 2013 - 07:06 AM, said:

A2A has announced a Cherokee series (multiple variants) that will follow their Cessna 172. No ETA yet but it's the next item in their new GA line.

Really looking forward to them. Their Cub is absolutely amazing, but it's just a bit too slow to be practical. The A2A C172 and Cherokee will be fast enough for cross country. Until A2A releases them, I think Carenado is the best choice. I have their Arrow IV and its a decent model. I also got the free CLS Arrow, but I much prefer Carenado's version.

Aerosoft have the Robin DR400 and Diamond DA20 - two popular GA aircraft in Europe. Worth checking out if you want something a little different from the old Skyhawk.

Thanks to all. 

Presume you know about Lionheart's Pacer/ Tri-pacer pack already (?)

I forgot about that completely.  Will check it out. 

A2A has announced a Cherokee series (multiple variants) that will follow their Cessna 172.

This is great news.  I have the Cub and love it but it makes slow progress especially in a headwind...

John

I'm not normally Carenado's biggest fan these days, but their PA-28s (they do a Cherokee but its c.2007, and an Arrow c.2008 and their Archer c.2009) are still the best PA-28s we have at the moment.

The Just Flight (Flying Club) one has better flight handling characteristics IMHO, but graphically, it's just too ugly! ....... the free CLS one is good for freeware, but there is a reason they stopped selling it and made it freeware (ie... it's not really up to commercial standards).

Like everyone else, I eagerly await the A2A Cherokee range!

If you're looking for more information on the A2A Cherokees, first mention was in this video, with more discussion in the thread that follows it.

There's a little more here about plans for the 235.

If you search "Cherokee" on the A2A forums, you'll find other mentions.  Not a lot of detail yet, it seems like work won't start in earnest 'til the 172 is out the door.  But since the 172 is already in the hands of their beta team, we should be hearing more about the Cherokee before long.

I have the Carenado Archer II and the CLS.  The Carenado looks pretty good (as do all Carenados) and seems to fly ok.  The instrumentation is minimum, like many PA28 trainers are likely to be.  It does not have a rudder trim control, but the real airplane does.  Not sure about the flight dynamics, as have never flown an Archer.  Am taking lessons in the less powerful Warrior, and the dynamics seem similar (except for the flaps/pitch performance).  The CLS was free on another web site, and I would say that's about what it's worth.   I flew it once and then discarded it.

I bought the Flying Club version of the Archer III which I believe is derived from the Dreamfleet Archer.  I bought the Beech Duchess for good measure - at ten quid I couldn't go far wrong. 

Will bring back memories of a pleasant trip at Corpus Christi many years ago.  I've not flown a Duchess, or a duchess, since.  ^_^

John

I believe the Just Flight which graphically may be a bit dated, has the flight model written by Rob Young of Real Air and therefore flies very nicely as a result. If I am wrong I do apologise but I believe this is the case.

Good for you Betelgeuse, you'll get your money's worth out of those two I'm sure. I would've suggested the Duchess too but your op only mentioned Pipers.

Flying the Archer recently, I found it works nicely with AccuFeel. Wind buffeting while taxi-ing felt quite realistic for a small GA plane - cool!

Any thoughts on the alabeo PA38? I would LOVE to have a good payware quality paper tomahawk.

Just Flght have an Archer and Warrior as part of their Flying Club series that can be picked up fairly cheap. They're older style (FS9 made flyable in FSX)

All of our Flying Club aircraft were updated to be FSX native several years ago. Some updated avionics were added as well as the ability to click on passengers in the VC to remove them, and the ability to alter passenger load using the fuel/payload menu within FS.

Thanks

Martyn - Just Flight

My biggest complaint with the Just Flight aircraft is the passenger models that are visible even in the VC view. They look horrible. I like to have some weight in the right seat even when I'm simulating flying alone, since FS aircraft tend to bank excessively toward the left if you put 0 in the right seat. However with the Duchess, this places a downright scary looking passenger model in the right seat :( Is it the same with the Archer?

You should be able to simply click on the passenger in the VC to visually remove them without needing to alter the aircraft payload/weight.

The passenger models date from approximately 2004 so they are obviously not of the same standard as the passenger models you now get in our aircraft, however they were/are very good compared to other FS aircraft from the same period.

Any thoughts on the alabeo PA38? I would LOVE to have a good payware quality paper tomahawk.

It's not out yet, but it's sure to be great, visually.

......... for the flight model, we'll have to wait and see!

JimmiG, on 02 Jul 2013 - 12:28 PM, said:

My biggest complaint with the Just Flight aircraft is the passenger models that are visible even in the VC view. They look horrible. I like to have some weight in the right seat even when I'm simulating flying alone, since FS aircraft tend to bank excessively toward the left if you put 0 in the right seat. However with the Duchess, this places a downright scary looking passenger model in the right seat :( Is it the same with the Archer?

The passengers can be removed with a simple mouse click! No need to look at them. In fact you're meant to be flying the plane and keeping a good lookout!

Removing them has no effect on payload/take off weight so you can relax about that.

Having trained in a Cherokee I'm very impressed with the flight model - it's the best of all the many PA28s I've flown. With Accufeel you can almost feel the buffeting and the wind noise.

I have to disagree with some folks about the textures. To me the VC panel is excellent - and I generally hate VC panels. The colour is good, there are nice reflections and the instruments are easy to read - no peering at fuzzy fonts here. I like the skins too - there are 25 for the Archer but you have to read the manual to find out how to access them - a clever idea to save loading times etc. A layered paintkit is provided if you want to paint your own.

All this for £15. And, a word of thanks to Just Flight for its easy download system - there are no complicated manoeuvrings with tools, wrappers, codes or serial numbers. All you need is your logon email address and your JF password - and you can download your package as often as you like. Great stuff!

John

Thanks for the positive feedback John!

Martyn - Just Flight

Meh that ones alright... Been out since FSX arrived. Flies pretty well but VC is pretty poor.

The just flight version is better, specifically the FDE. It was done by Rob from Realair which is why it's so good. The VC isn't quite up to par with other addons these days. I also did my PPL ASEL in a warrior III so I prefer the JF version for the FDE.

Don't tell John, but Just Flight have the Archer and Duchess on special this weekend!

Don't tell John, but Just Flight have the Archer and Duchess on special this weekend!

That's the thanks I get!  :(