Sign in to follow this  
signmanbob

Looks Really Great, but I Can't Buy It

SierraHotel, on 28 Jun 2013 - 8:56 PM, said:

When this day arrives I will gladly purchase X-Plane, I just hope I'm not dead when it does.

:biggrin: Hahahaha +1

Robert:

It would be very bold by my side to make great recommendations. Believe me, the cause of the problem may well be caused by any other software (or even hardware). Although I have never had an OOM, however I did have other FSX issues, which at some point have become exasperating. My humble advice:

1.- Do a clean Win7 reinstall (yes, is so boring as it sounds)

2.- Do a clean (obviously) FSX reinstall (I have the same Win7 and FSX setting: SSD for W7 and a HHD for FSX, so is my recommendation)

3.- The only thing I've changed in fsx.cfg was set texture to 4096.

4.- Follow this guide:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/324786-nvidia-configuration-guide-inspector-2xxxx-drivers-version-20-explanations-of-all-settings/

I have the 4xS setting (my card is a GTX 560 Ti 448 cores)

5.- Within FSX settings: Graphics settings for the Aircraft = Ultra high (not sure if are these exact words, as my FSX version language is spanish). ALL the rest of graphics settings, I have an average value (mainly at "normal" levels)

And that's all, folk (at least in my case).

I'm running basically the same addons you've pointed out. I really hope it helps. As many, many thousands of simmers, I had suffered your frustration. Have luck!

Ivan Lewis

PMDG B737NGX, B777 and B747v3 QOTS II

Are you sure all your ram sticks are working correctly? It could be fsx is using the faulty one try removing it one stick at time untill the ooms stop or if you get down to the last one and you still are having ooms switch it to one of the others and see if that fixes it

I have been having this problem for quite a while, yet I just added RAM from 14 Gigs to 64Gigs.  When they did this, they replaced all of the RAM in my computer to keep my sticks matching. 

So all of my sticks of RAM are brand new, but I am having the same problem.

I can do a memory test on my RAM memory.  I will look at that.  My computer builder gave me a DVD that has a memory test.

Wow! There is a LOT of good suggestions coming out in this thread.  Please keep them coming.  I will try the ones that I can.  Maybe you will help me get over this hump and back into FSX

Send a ticket with "FWD to Ryan, TeamViewer" in the title. It's pretty late tonight but I should be around tomorrow and we can look at it.

I will do this Ryan.  Thank you very much.

I have been having this problem for quite a while, yet I just added RAM from 14 Gigs to 64Gigs.  When they did this, they replaced all of the RAM in my computer to keep my sticks matching. 

So all of my sticks of RAM are brand new, but I am having the same problem.

I can do a memory test on my RAM memory.  I will look at that.  My computer builder gave me a DVD that has a memory test.

Wow! There is a LOT of good suggestions coming out in this thread.  Please keep them coming.  I will try the ones that I can.  Maybe you will help me get over this hump and back into FSX

I will do this Ryan.  Thank you very much.

Sounds fishy... You may have a program sucking all your memory out... For me it turned out to be FSDT GSX and AI traffic which ran parallel with online traffic from vatsim: FSX is all good now tho

Flying Tigers Group

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Gents-

A couple of thoughts:

Robert:  Your simming rig is better than the one I use for development, with the exception that I am running all SSDs instead of the old fashioned spinny-thingy drives.  (I'm trademarking that- nobody try to steal it!)  I had Ryan walk me through optimizing FSX and I haven't had an OOM since very early in the NGX development cycle.  (2010'ish)

i use the 777 every day- and my default testing location is at an OrbX airport surrounded by OrbX scenery.  I also bounce around to various FlightBeam and FSDT and Aerosoft sceneries just to make sure nothing bad happens...  It never does...

We put a tremendous amount of time and effort into making sure you get a seamless experience and I think it shows.  It does require that the user approach simming thoughtfully- you can't load something created by a developer that doesn't know what they are doing...   Most often when we help customers who are having trouble- we find it is the result of a lazy or inexperienced developer doing something that is KNOWN to create problems in FSX- and has nothing whatever to do with resource consumption.

P3D:  I keep seeing folks hope that we will "see the light" on P3D.  I think those folks should go back and read my statements on same.  We think P3D is going to be a great platform in the long term for our commercial and enterprise customers.  But because of P3Ds EULA we have no plans to offer "regular simmer" products on that platform.  I recognize that some of you are using P3D as a simming platform, but if you take a good close look at their EULA- you largely don't have that right- and as such they can turn you upside down one day if they decide to enforce their rights...   As such I think it would be irresponsible for us to sell you a simmer product on a commercial platform.  Some disagree, but...  We have a very expensive legal opinion on it- and I trust the lawyers in this case.  (And I don't like lawyers- so that is saying something!)

Xplane:  We are very hard at work on a product for Xplane- and our long term vision is to bring our entire FSX product catalog to play in Xplane...  Austin and his team are working hand-in-glove with us to make this happen...  but it isn't a big rush project because we have to take the time to learn the platform- and we are implementing some technologies to make Xplane an easier transition for our very large FSX customer base...  When we get there- you will see what I mean!

FSX vs. Xplane:  Thank you, gents- for not letting this devolve into a platform debate.  I think this conversation is sitting right on that rough edge- so I pleasantly remind you that we don't tolerate such debates here because it never means anything positive for the participants or others visiting this forum. 

Robert has a valid opinion- and I think he voiced it respectfully.  I also think that there are a dozen or so people in this forum that could probably help him squeeze far more out of FSX than he is...  I'll leave that to all of you to sort out- but in the mean time please continue to treat one another respectfully...

I'm totally thrilled to hear this direct from Capt. Randazzo himself, that PMDG still is working towards a future array of planes for XPlane.  With no other comments to add other than when that day finally arrives, I will be at the front of the line to buy whatever PMDG is offering for XPlane!  

I have totally missed the PMDG level of enjoyment, and the NGX especially, in the worst way since moving to the dark side platform.  In my considered opinion, anything with PMDG is absolute quality and the standard by which all other sim aircraft are measured.

Thank you for keeping the hope alive for those of us who love PMDG products!

Robert McDonald

NOT the OP

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Click here for my YouTube channel

I'm going to share an opinion similar to those of the first few people.

Many people have a system capable of 2X, yes, 2X my system. People are shocked that I am able to run FSX @ 2.33GHz, with a 256MB video/GFX card. On top of all of this, I have only 2GB system RAM, running under that ancient program, Windows XP. This computer was purchased to go along with FSX when it came out, and although I hear a lot of people talking about how the performance was HIDEOUS at that time, with a high-end system. No matter where I am in the world [let's exclude JFK], I get 20-30 FPS in the VC of the PMDG 737NGX, and also locked at 36 FPS in spot view. I have applied no tweaks to my cfg, as they have HURT my performance on this computer, believe it or not. I also fly the Airbus X Extended and get the same FPS. I use low 2.x water, normal autogen, extremely dense scenery complexity, and even most of my sliders are to the right, despite near the middle. I bumped it up as much as I could without finding a noticeable change, or trying to view a slideshow...

I am yet to experience an OOM error in any flight using the PMDG 737 NGX. The reason people get OOMs with 64GB RAM is all because of the 32-bit application only able to use 3.25 or 3 GB of RAM [the actual amount escapes me at this time]

To sum it up, I have no clue how I get great performance with a sucky video card, sucky processor, sucky OS, and just an all around old computer, probably 4+ years old at this point! It runs beautifully and smoothly, I never end up with CTDs or anything of that sort, and I'm happy with how this computer runs. SO, I don't really understand how people with an Ivy Bridge cpu can't get decent FPS, when I can. And these people even apply tweaks to their cfg, I DON'T!

Sounds fishy... You may have a program sucking all your memory out... For me it turned out to be FSDT GSX and AI traffic which ran parallel with online traffic from vatsim: FSX is all good now tho

I'm not running any AI traffic at all. If I did I would run out of memory immediately.

1 thing i dun like xplane dun have ezdok :(

X-Plane has "Pilot View".  It is about the same thing as EZdok.

And  once  you have  solved  the issue  be  good  to know  what   it  was

Pete, I will be happy to let everyone know, when this problem is solved.

:biggrin: Hahahaha +1

Robert:

It would be very bold by my side to make great recommendations. Believe me, the cause of the problem may well be caused by any other software (or even hardware). Although I have never had an OOM, however I did have other FSX issues, which at some point have become exasperating. My humble advice:

1.- Do a clean Win7 reinstall (yes, is so boring as it sounds)

2.- Do a clean (obviously) FSX reinstall (I have the same Win7 and FSX setting: SSD for W7 and a HHD for FSX, so is my recommendation)

3.- The only thing I've changed in fsx.cfg was set texture to 4096.

4.- Follow this guide:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/324786-nvidia-configuration-guide-inspector-2xxxx-drivers-version-20-explanations-of-all-settings/

I have the 4xS setting (my card is a GTX 560 Ti 448 cores)

5.- Within FSX settings: Graphics settings for the Aircraft = Ultra high (not sure if are these exact words, as my FSX version language is spanish). ALL the rest of graphics settings, I have an average value (mainly at "normal" levels)

And that's all, folk (at least in my case).

I'm running basically the same addons you've pointed out. I really hope it helps. As many, many thousands of simmers, I had suffered your frustration. Have luck!

My computer has just been in the shop and gone over not too long ago.  It runs XPX64 perfectly.  Mainly, the only other thing that I use it for is to watch movies from Amazon Prime, since I have a 52" monitor and enjoy sitting in my Volair Sim Cockpit and watching movies too. I appreciate your suggestion, but I really can't see where my Windows 7 installation could possibly be corrupt, if everything else runs perfectly and FSX is the only program giving OOM errors.

I just moved my old fsx.cfg file to a storage folder and allowed FSX to build a new default Cfg file.  I then added the HIGHMEMFIX=1 line under the [Graphics] heading, started FSX and loaded the NGX.  Before I pushed back at KIAD, I was informed that "my computer had run out of memory" and to restart and turn down my graphic settings.   Of course, it is not my computer that has run out of memory.  It is just FSX inability to handle available memory. 

Desktop Heap Limitation:A second reason for OOM’s occurring is the default setting for the Desktop Heap is low: we recommend you change this as follows: 
To modify this, follow these steps:-
1). Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit.exe in the Programs list. 
2). Locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\SubSystems Right-click the Windows entry, and then click Modify.
3). Right-click the Windows entry, and then click Modify. 
4). In the Value data section of the Edit String dialog box, locate the SharedSection entry, and then increase the second value to 20480, and the third value to 1024.

Hope this help. I have a very normal system. I5 2500k 4.3ghz and a 7850 OC thats all and 8gb ram. venetubo  is all did :) And change texture to 4096

I have fly PMDG737 from Singapore to Hongkong no problem :) 

Thank you.  I had already had this setting done a while ago.

Do you use the d3d9.dll fps limiter? I randomly started having OOM errors when I increased my settings once, and I was having great FPS so I didn't understand why it was occurring. I eventually saw that my VAS was increasing every time I loaded up a new airport, or switched from windowed to full screen mode, and even after waiting for a while, the VAS would not go back down but would continue to increase. I eventually deduced it was this dll, removed it, and can now run the NGX at FSDT airports, etc. with high settings, and it runs perfectly (and now whenever I load up a new airport, reach a new airport after completing a flight, or switch from windowed to full screen mode as much as I want, I never have an OOM.)

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpgsig_TheBusIveBeenWaitingFor.jpg

Alfredo Terrero

Cant  see  why your  having  so much  trouble  with this,  certainly  a  strange  one and hopefully its going to be  a  easy  fix,   cant  says  what else  to suggest other  than have you got  fsx installed out  side  the default location etc  run as admin?  probably  not  going to help but since no one  else  has  suggested  it I will

Installing  fsuipc  will fix  some  ctds  etc  but  don't  know  about  ooms  though maybe  some  one  else  can confirm this

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Yep, if you do come up with a solution, let us know.

Like I said, I'm in almost an identical boat.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

Yep, if you do come up with a solution, let us know.

Like I said, I'm in almost an identical boat.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!

How do you spell solution?........R-y-a-n M-a-z-i-a-r-z Thank you so much, Ryan!!

I just completed a flight with the NGX, from KIAD to KLGA and never went over 2.7(and change) Gigs.

It was a perfect flight and landing and FSX ran very smooth the whole way using REX weather.

For everyones information, what I did was I made a ticket at PMDG and Ryan came, and got into my computer, switching and changing things. When he was finished, FSX worked perfect.

Several things were wrong and when I first started FSX, before Ryan did his magic, I loaded the NGX at KIAD (Flightbeam) and started preparing the flight. Before I went too far, Ryan stopped me and wanted to check the numbers in "Process Explorer". We found out that before I was ready to push back, FSX was already using over 3.7Gigs of virtual memory. I was a breath away from an OOM error.

Ryan immediately had me shut off all of my MegaScenery v.2 scenery, restart FSX, and that had brought my memory usage under control.

Then he put my fsx.cfg through Behote's tool (yes Diego), after which he went into it and changed a few more things. Then I started FSX and Ryan went in and changed the settings in there too. Then he opened Nvidia Inspector and changed a few things in there also.

During this session, Ryan also taught me how to manage my scenery and use only what I need during a flight, keeping the virtual memory far under the 4Gig maximum that will put out FSX's lights.

I have to admit that I had more fun working with Ryan on fixing my FSX mess, than I could have imagined.

I want to say again, that I appreciate the help that I was given by Ryan and PMDG support.

Now I will, most definitely, purchase the PMDG 777 as soon as it it released, along with, at least, some of the hard bound manuals. I am ready for it now.

Thank you Ryan Maziarz for the wonderful help.....Thank you PMDG for offering this kind of first class support. There is no better than PMDG.

Bob

PROBLEM SOLVED!!

How do you spell solution?........R-y-a-n M-a-z-i-a-r-z Thank you so much, Ryan!!

I just completed a flight with the NGX, from KIAD to KLGA and never went over 2.7(and change) Gigs.

It was a perfect flight and landing and FSX ran very smooth the whole way using REX weather.

For everyones information, what I did was I made a ticket at PMDG and Ryan came, and got into my computer, switching and changing things. When he was finished, FSX worked perfect.

Several things were wrong and when I first started FSX, before Ryan did his magic, I loaded the NGX at KIAD (Flightbeam) and started preparing the flight. Before I went too far, Ryan stopped me and wanted to check the numbers in "Process Explorer". We found out that before I was ready to push back, FSX was already using over 3.7Gigs of virtual memory. I was a breath away from an OOM error.

Ryan immediately had me shut off all of my MegaScenery v.2 scenery, restart FSX, and that had brought my memory usage under control.

Then he put my fsx.cfg through Behote's tool (yes Diego), after which he went into it and changed a few more things. Then I started FSX and Ryan went in and changed the settings in there too. Then he opened Nvidia Inspector and changed a few things in there also.

During this session, Ryan also taught me how to manage my scenery and use only what I need during a flight, keeping the virtual memory far under the 4Gig maximum that will put out FSX's lights.

I have to admit that I had more fun working with Ryan on fixing my FSX mess, than I could have imagined.

I want to say again, that I appreciate the help that I was given by Ryan and PMDG support.

Now I will, most definitely, purchase the PMDG 777 as soon as it it released, along with, at least, some of the hard bound manuals. I am ready for it now.

Thank you Ryan Maziarz for the wonderful help.....Thank you PMDG for offering this kind of first class support. There is no better than PMDG.

Bob

It's true! When I couldn't get my PMDG 737 NGX to work properly [none of the systems would turn on, there were no clickspots or any other way to turn a system on!] Ryan used Teamviewer to access my computer and was able to fix the problem, it was just my lack of a simple Microsoft C++ file or two! It's definitely excellent support.