Sign in to follow this  
tazz

FTX GLOBAL Base Pack - Preview Screenshots

since what it does is overwrite default fsx files on the default fsx disk, I would imagine that it wouldn't be able to have a custom install location.  orbx's other products also are bound to the main fsx installation location.  I'm sure there's some way you can alias the files to another location if you want, but that would be a DIY solution.

Hello John,

is there a problem when installing a FTX region after the FTX Global installation? Will the "old" FTX region installers cooperate with the new hybride mode?

Patric

Yes you need to be aware that installing older Orbx products will write old versions of FTX Central; we'll be hosting an "Orbx Core Pack" installer which will re-sync to the latest FTX Central with Hybrid Mode if you install an older Orbx region. Eventually of course we will patch all our region installers to use the latest builds.

Cheers,

John Venema

Orbx_Logo_Avatar.png

Yes you need to be aware that installing older Orbx products will write old versions of FTX Central; we'll be hosting an "Orbx Core Pack" installer which will re-sync to the latest FTX Central with Hybrid Mode if you install an older Orbx region. Eventually of course we will patch all our region installers to use the latest builds.

Sorry, John, if this has been asked before:

Does it make sense to combine the core pack with the latest ORBXLIBS installer? One ring updater "to rule them all"?

Yes that was our thinking but Orbxlibs has gotten "fat" at 230MB.

Cheers,

John Venema

Orbx_Logo_Avatar.png

olli4740, on 12 Jul 2013 - 12:16 PM, said:

It's already advertised at fullterrain.com (see OP ...).

So, according to former ORBX releases, it should only be "days away". (Sorry, Robert, couldn't resist!)

Last I read from JV about this is that they hope to release FTXG before the end of July. So I wouldn't expect a release within days, really.

Orbx, on 12 Jul 2013 - 2:40 PM, said:

Hybrid Mode is a toggle switch in FTX Central that keeps all Orbx FTX Regions active and we activate a hybrid lclookup.bgl that keeps all autogen and features for each region working as best as possible.

Sounds to me that if you plan to only fly for instance in FTX Scotland and not towards FTXG scenery, you are better off selecting Scotland in FTX Central? Because then you won't have it 'working as best as possible' but simply 'at its best'. In other words: the hybrid setting is some sort of compromise, as good as it may be. Or am I reading it totally wrong? ^_^ EDIT Just read on the Orbx forum (I am losing track of where I am posting what) that within a few days there will be a explanation of the hybrid mode, with screenshots and all, after they've settled the code down for it. So save your questions about hybrid mode (the topic of the day ^_^ ) until further notice. ^_^

BTW Who else thinks FTXG will mean the end of GEX...? I am afraid GEX won't survive this new kid on the block.

Hybrid Mode only reduces some slope call definitions in lclookup.bgl - only the really keen eyed simmers will spot the difference ;)

Cheers,

John Venema

Orbx_Logo_Avatar.png

only the really keen eyed simmers will spot the difference

Ah, ok, that's nice. And we all know there aren't many keen eyed simmers so we all should be good. B) :P :Party:

BTW Who else thinks FTXG will mean the end of GEX...? I am afraid GEX won't survive this new kid on the block.

Depends on how they react to the competition in regards to both price and coverage. Ultimate Terrain X Canada is still on my computer even though I have the FTX Regional scenery, because UTX covers a vast amount of Canada that Orbx has not covered, at least not yet.

Screenshots of other parts of the world! Just posted by JV.

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/61250-ftx-global-world-tour/

Depends on how they react to the competition in regards to both price and coverage. Ultimate Terrain X Canada is still on my computer even though I have the FTX Regional scenery, because UTX covers a vast amount of Canada that Orbx has not covered, at least not yet.

True. But FTXG covers the entire globe which is more then GEX does... so while UTX will still be of use (also with FTX), GEX lost its purpose.

Looks nice, but £60 I have to think about it as I am enjoying my GEX.

Mo45

Screenshots of other parts of the world! Just posted by JV.

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/61250-ftx-global-world-tour/

True. But FTXG covers the entire globe which is more then GEX does... so while UTX will still be of use (also with FTX), GEX lost its purpose.

I would hope not. Nothing against Orbx but I like competition. I own most of Orbx products and they are great but I would be a little uneasy if they were the only game in town.  Sometimes that results in the developer dictating to the customer instead of listening.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Yes, but they are still generic. Many of the same are used across specific regions of the globe. It's not unique textures for every inch of the globe. But yes, new textures are usually larger in file fize, but I am not sure what the file size of the default textures are.

Install size is 9GB.

If GEX doesn't come out with a new version, then probably.

FTXG covers the entire globe vs. regionally and does so much cheaper then GEX does for the entire world.

Plus it does more with night lighting, some base landclass corrections, and autogen texture replacment and repositioning.

But maybe GEX is getting overhauled and adding features as we speak. Haven't heard.

Just out of curiousity : could you show some screenshots from the Netherlands.

The ground appearance is different from other countries.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

So just to clarify, I currently have UTX and GEX, will FTXG replace both or just GEX?

So just to clarify, I currently have UTX and GEX, will FTXG replace both or just GEX?

GEX and possible parts of UTX(night lighting and maybe their textures too if you choose).

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024