Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

downloaddude

No structure in Manual - come on

Obviously you don't allow the manuals to be modified in any way for the T7, although it was possible for the NGX. But you don't even have bookmarks in there - for documents with over a thousand pages. That means if I want to jump from one procedure to another e.g., I have to memorize the page-number!! That is quite frankly a real pain in the a....Your name is "Precision manuals..." I hope you will fix this asap.

Otherwise the aircraft is of course exceptional but for this price, I expect such details to also be right.

Best regards

Adrian

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Bookmarks are there. You may want to check with a different pdf viewer.

Cannot find out how to access bookmarks. Any help?

Cannot find out how to access bookmarks. Any help?

In Adobe Reader there are symbols on the left hand side with tooltips describing them.

In my freeware PDFXChange Viewer, bookmarks are in the view menu from the menu bar.

In mine  they are greyed out( my version is  2.5     201.0 )  the strange thing is  that I can book mark other   fcoms  eg  the ngx  but  not  the  t 7?

In Adobe Reader there are symbols on the left hand side with tooltips describing them.

In my freeware PDFXChange Viewer, bookmarks are in the view menu from the menu bar.

All Bookmarks, comments and other options are disabled (grayed out) in both Adobe reader and Foxit reader, so there are no existing bookmarks and I cannot add a new one.

2up7243.jpg

EDIT: Tried with PDFXChange Viewer and bookmarks are blank and locked too.

10icx9s.jpg

I agree that it's pretty difficult to navigate the manual. And when you do find the right page, there's a giant "DRAFT" watermark over it. I appreciate that PMDG went to the trouble of jumping through God knows how many hoops to get these manuals but it's still disappointing that their accessibility has regressed compared to the NGX manuals. 

Are you talking about the author's bookmarks or rather about adding custom bookmarks?

In Adobe Reader XI, Version 11.0.4 (English Version) and PDFXChange Viewer Version 2.5 (build 211.0), English version, the author's bookmarks can be activated!

EDIT:

Sorry, folks, now I got it: Bookmarks only for PMDG docs (intro and tutorial), not for the Boeing docs (FCOM and stuff).

My bad, I didn't get it any earlier ...

The inability to print sections that I want is irritating to no end. I basically can't read and fly at the same time or use as reference without risking a CTD flipping between FSX and Adobe.

But for $300 they'll come out of the printer....

I have to concur with the OP. Distributing a 1000+ manual with no ability to highlight/bookmark is just inane.

I will not provide specific instructions here, but there is an open source utility called qpdf (Google is your friend) which will remove the annotation/markup restrictions from a PDF. You will then be able to add your own sticky notes/highlights to the document which you can then navigate using the Annotations tab in Adobe Reader XI. They behave just like bookmarks.

No problems here. I simply put them on dropbox then exported them to ibooks on my iPad and now they are accessible while I am flying. Bookmarks included.

No problems here. I simply put them on dropbox then exported them to ibooks on my iPad and now they are accessible while I am flying. Bookmarks included.

Great idea! I wonder if my Kindle will do the same.

Boeing will not allow us to make our own bookmarks in the manuals. (You'll notice that the Intro and Tutorial are bookmarked because those are our own creations) They have their own bookmarked versions that we'd have to pay a ton more to license. Every extra thing like this that we do raises the price of the product. It is not a small difference in cost between the two versions and I suspect most people would not like the increase compared to a little bit of extra convenience.

I use the search feature in Foxit myself - I've never had an issue finding what I'm looking for with it.

Hi all,

Yeah lots of pages in those manuals!

If I had to make one observation regarding the manuals if would be this.

Whilst I appreciate that the idea of all PMDG's  products is to study the aircraft in great detail, a study sim I think the phrase is. There was one thing I wanted to read about in the manual one time, that I couldn't find because as I started searching through the manual I came across 50 or 60 pages all about how each of the various doors worked in detail. How to work the door handles and set the life rafts and slides in an emergency etc etc. Thing is while all these details are very interesting they are of absolutely no interest in operating the 777 as supplied by PMDG as these things aren't modeled as I wouldn't expect them to be!

So while we have the tutorial which is great, couldn't the manuals be divided into systems which the PMDG 777 models and another manual of things which aren't modeled but people might find interesting.

Just an observation about a great product.

Boeing will not allow us to make our own bookmarks in the manuals. (You'll notice that the Intro and Tutorial are bookmarked because those are our own creations) They have their own bookmarked versions that we'd have to pay a ton more to license. Every extra thing like this that we do raises the price of the product. It is not a small difference in cost between the two versions and I suspect most people would not like the increase compared to a little bit of extra convenience.

I use the search feature in Foxit myself - I've never had an issue finding what I'm looking for with it.

Thank you for the explanation. is it legal to add our own bookmarks? apparently some iPad apps can?

The fact that we have access to these manuals for $90 is good enough for me. Some people really have no idea about the real cost of aviation.

So to get the bookmarks I need to buy a tablet :rolleyes:

I am quite sure a 3rd party PDF application that is not adobe acrobat reader on your desktop will have the same functionality. I'll look into it.

So while we have the tutorial which is great, couldn't the manuals be divided into systems which the PMDG 777 models and another manual of things which aren't modeled but people might find interesting.

Just an observation about a great product.

+1 Dave. 

I appreciate having the entire set of manuals on the B777. It's interesting and I become a better sim pilot and hobbyist understanding all the aspects of the aircraft.

But to your point, I want to understand the aircraft as how it relates to MS FSX first. More than anything I hope we get a structured manual set in future products with a logical layout... the Boeing set is a mess with indexes and revision history and bulletins. 

And I really hope I never get a RTM answer when asking a question on the forum....  that will be hard to contain myself.

I'll be happy with a simple check list to go from start up to shut down. I have a lap top I use for reading the manual and it's a ###### trying to learn while you fly..

You have tutorial flight from start up to shut down and it's bookmarked properly. You have normal checklist in QRH and electronic version onboard.

I'll be happy with a simple check list to go from start up to shut down. I have a lap top I use for reading the manual and it's a ###### trying to learn while you fly..

Look up my checklist for the PMDG T7 uploaded here on Avsim.  It was created for that purpose.