Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CYXR

Amazon to use drones for fast delivery

60 Minutes aired an interesting story which announced it earlier tonight. The 60 Minutes broadcast was real; but I don't know about

the story regarding Amazon's plans for delivery drones. It's still in the R&D stage according to Bezos; who can certainly afford it; and they would require the FAA's approval.

see here:

Ben

Me: " Hello!? 911? Do you know Amazon dropped War and Peace on my baby's head! "

911: " Can you hum a few bars? "

People would steal them.

People would shoot at them.

They would break and fall on things........

Dogs will jump on them.

They will have very limited range and carrying capacity.

Weather will mess with them.

The FAA will laugh at them.

They will get caught in trees.

People will claim injuries.

Kids will throw rocks at them.

Its a silly idea that will happen when pigs can fly in tight circles beside them. (But its sounds so cool) 

Copter Pizza!!!!

Copter Pizza!!!!

yes I would like Domino's to deliver me a Pizza by Drone in thirty minutes or its free.....then when it doesn't get to me because the drone was shot at, rocks thrown at it, dog chased it, stuck in a tree, broke and fell on my neighbours head....etc, then I would get a free pizza  :lol:

yes I would like Domino's to deliver me a Pizza by Drone in thirty minutes or its free.....then when it doesn't get to me because the drone was shot at, rocks thrown at it, dog chased it, stuck in a tree, broke and fell on my neighbours head....etc, then I would get a free pizza  :lol:

That would be delivered in a van by a guy whose job is also to retrieve the copter and speak with the cops and the insurance people.  :wacko:

More seriously, (sorry OP) if I were a terrorist, my eyes would be lighting up, right about now.

The only way I could see this working is if Amazon's corporate customer was to build a designated landing area for the drones on top of a sky-rise building or factory, but don't think it would be worth it compared to the low cost of someone driving a truck or a bike courier.....etc

I don't see a drone landing on someones doorstep to drop off the latest copy of GTA-6 (when that comes out). Devon pretty much nailed the reasons why....Suburbs are a dangerous place for a drone.

Reality just them talking about this is great PR for Amazon and is most likely the reason behind it. If it never happens at least they got people talking about them, which is great marketing.

maybe , for faster delivery, they would attach the packages on a agm-64 maverick ROFL

Apparently the genius who is Bezos is investing serious money in this plan (or his corp. has so much money that they will do RD on just about anything).

If I remember correctly, a similar system is also used in France by the postal services. Not 100% sure on the details, but it should be operational by now.

Also... Using quadcopters to fly over people, crowds, houses,...? I think not! :O

Having worked extensively with drones myself (http://www.airimage.co.za) I can tell you from first-hand experience that the biggest challenge is having to deal with unfavourable weather conditions.

This may well be a viable option in areas that have very predictable good weather most of the time.

I can also see kids having a favourite new pastime...taking out Amazon drones with their slingshots  :lol:

Jerome

Hee hee, this can't be for real. This is an April fool's surely?

Just when I think I'm just being silly.......

Life proves to be even sillier. (wanders off to check on the price of a good slingshot.........)

Could work in UK or other places that have cameras every where that would prevent drone vandalism. GPS tracking device and 360 live camera on each one would also help prevent the suburb vandalism. Get caught shooting or taking down a drone, go to jail.

I don't think batteries are good enough to make this work. Drone delivery range would be rather short I'd think.

Also... Using quadcopters to fly over people, crowds, houses,...? I think not! :O

Woops! Nevermind, octopcopters, not quads.... Must've been kinda drowsy this morning.

As a Canadian, I would say if I was 12 or 13 again, I would totally through snowballs at one of those things with my friends. 

Imagine a bunch of Canadian Kids built a snow fort and armed it to the teeth with snowballs and one of those flew by,that is every kids dream.  :lol:

As a Canadian, I would say if I was 12 or 13 again, I would totally through snowballs at one of those things with my friends. 

Imagine a bunch of Canadian Kids built a snow fort and armed it to the teeth with snowballs and one of those flew by,that is every kids dream.  :lol:

Wait.......

12 or 13? I might just throw a snowball at it now under the right circumstances!  :ph34r:  :blush:

Wait.......

12 or 13? I might just throw a snowball at it now under the right circumstances!  :ph34r:  :blush:

Come to think of it.....I would totally through a snowball at one at my age too. Reason being is because the thing about throwing snowballs at Drones is the evidence is gone right away. no way to prove that anyone through a snowball at all because the snowball is disintegrated. Snowballs also melt so you can't keep the evidence.

Unless it is on video, but then you would have to prove it was me in that video and when you are wearing your winter jacket hats and gloves etc.....very difficult to prove. 

Almost the perfect crime.  :lol:

I saw this video (It was on the front page of YouTube) and at first I thought it was fake or an April Fool's Joke in December, but after reading the Amazon site, I think this is actually really interesting!

The only problem I see, like Devon mentioned, is people stealing them. They could, though, put super extra cushion on the packages and set the machines to drop them at a reasonable altitutde....?

I also don't see how this could work in a city that Amazon doesn't have a warehouse in (They don't have one in every city, so the "30 minutes" is not gonna be "30 minutes" for a lot of people). 

One of my other hobbies is ###### shooting.  I'll never need to buy clay pigeons again.

Edit: Strange that word would be censored.  It's the kind of shooting you do with clay pigeons.

Imagine a bunch of Canadian Kids built a snow fort and armed it to the teeth with snowballs and one of those flew by,that is every kids dream. :lol:

Unless its the snowballs that are hard and a little icy, doesn't stop us throwing them out course

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Bet these will be common item in 5 years and time for payware or freeware drones to be made might as well learn them in case your postal or pizza delivery job gets eliminated.

For some reason, I'm thinking of Walt's pizza on the roof of his garage in "Breaking Bad." I know that's where my stuff would end up. If I was lucky. But if they want a pilot, I have a laptop and a joystick.

"Amazon uses 60 minutes for cheap publicity stunt on Cyber Monday"

While I personally don't think drone delivery of packages will become a reality in the near future, the one thing Jeff Bezos is known for is investing the future. I think it's a brilliant move to spur continued innovation in light UAV technology.