Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bunchy

SkyMAXX Pro 1.2 released

I've just received an email from X aviation that SkyMaXX pro 1.2 is released.

Yet to install and try it out though

Stu

Just tested it. Even better performance, looks better, and now reflections on water!

Can up the settings now. Result!

Ian

Here's what's changed in version 1.2:

What's New / Changed:

• Real weather pause time decrease - clouds now load 3-4 times faster on weather change
  • Cloud reflections on water added - selection available in the SkyMaxx menu
  • Maximum cloud layer size increased from 100km to 150km
  • Crepuscular rays now default to on
  • New debug output to help with tech support issues
  • Clouds will re-appear if the SilverLining plugin is disabled and re-enabled at runtime from the plugin admin menu
  • Lightning works properly in low visibility now

• The position used for enabling orbit textures and for lighting is now based on the view position and not the aircraft position

• Version number now indicated in the config UI

I think the most significant in that change list for you all will be the pause for re-load optimization. This primarily effects those who use real weather, where the pause used to be very noticeable in 1.1.

Hope you enjoy! :)

This primarily effects those who use real weather, where the pause used to be very noticeable in 1.1.

I must just be lucky I guess. I fly with real weather and never noticed pauses or stuttering. Yes, I could see the process taking place i.e. the clouds forming spontaneously in response to METAR variation ... but the sim was still as smooth as peaches and cream (add a dash of Vodka).

Anyhoo, thanks Cameron for the updates. You guys are (as always) ... AWESOME!

I think the most significant in that change list for you all will be the pause for re-load optimization. This primarily effects those who use real weather, where the pause used to be very noticeable in 1.1.

Hope you enjoy! :)

Thank you Cameron!  Installed it, ran it...and no more XPX hangups!   THANK YOU! :)   Cloud reflections look great!

Very satisfied with the maturity route of this program. You guys are doing a fine job...and gives me great confidence to purchase from your site in the future.  Great program...and now we need the likes of ASN...

Excellent update to Sky Maxx Pro!!!!

Don't forget to uninstall the previous version!

It is smooth as silk, and, BEAUTIFUL!!!

Thank you!

Don't forget to uninstall the previous version!

No need to ... the new installer will automatically take care of that ... and flawlessly too I might add ;)

Oops!  Thx for the precious info pryoski!

No need to ... the new installer will automatically take care of that ... and flawlessly too I might add ;)

Oh...I didn't know that.. I always went the uninstall route....so just run the installer with any or all future updates?  'K...will give that a try....

Thanks for that info!

Oh...I didn't know that.. I always went the uninstall route....so just run the installer with any or all future updates?  'K...will give that a try....

That's correct. No need to run the uninstall prior to running any new installer.

That's correct. No need to run the uninstall prior to running any new installer.

Cameron, whatever you two within v1.2, did,.... well, it was the 'did' that worked!  Smooth as 'ASN' :)

If you and John have the technical skill to pull off an ASN'ish weather injector for the XP platform.....MAN...would you clean up as the (to date) sole arena entry....  With what I have seen so far from SkyMaxx 1.2....at least you two please think about it...  If I had the technical background...I would have been coding this like there's no tomorrow! Get in there, first...with quality...and see the coin flow in....

Ses

1.2 is ok but I still don't think that Skymaxx is our answer to XP10 horrible skies.  SMP clouds look out of place, sometimes the clouds disappear and reappear, real weather bugs are still occurring, etc. etc.  Once REX is released, Skymaxx is finished...everyone will be using REX.  I'm sorry but this payware is terrible :( :mad:

1.2 is ok but I still don't think that Skymaxx is our answer to XP10 horrible skies.  SMP clouds look out of place, sometimes the clouds disappear and reappear, real weather bugs are still occurring, etc. etc.  Once REX is released, Skymaxx is finished...everyone will be using REX.  I'm sorry but this payware is terrible :( :mad:

The key word, is that SkyMaxx is here, and is a major improvement that didn't cost the leg of the purchaser...and REX, well.....REX for XPlane... is still a 'whisper into the ear...'. Nothing more at this time....

Probably the most ridiculous 2 statements I've read all year.  You'll find quite a few people who strongly disagree with you.  But by all means, buy REX...whenever, and if ever it comes out for XP10. 

While I think that Steven has passed his message in a somehow radical manner, I think I can nonetheless understand his feelings.

In fact, traversing the skies at cruise altitude on my NEO I see clouds pop-up/ off all of a sudden, around me. Even setting the cloud draw distance to the maximums, I can't really obtain an acceptable compromise.

There are also mostly cumulus clouds. Even with the overcast layer maximized I can't find Sc.  The thunderstorms still require some art work too, IMO.

Anyway, what we have now looks a lot better than what we had before. Also, the team behind Sky Maxx continues to work and bring new features / fix problems.

Of course Sky MAxx is not a weather generator, and depends strongly on whatever X-Plane's METAR-based weather "gives" him to process.

We need an integrated or independant weather generator. Sky Maxx can either continue to be developed as a sky enhancer app, or try to also work the weather processing / injection component, but weather injectors are rather complex!

I also think that most probably before someone starts thinking about a weather injector app, LR must create the necessary links to turn it possible to edit all weather variables/datarefs  already available and some more.

So, I really think I understand Steven's exclamation, and it would not be honest from me to say that I am completely satisfied with the results, while, at the same time, I am glad with what Sky Maxx already provides.

Just like anything about X-Plane... and the interview published today is a good example of it, a lot is going on in the back scenes but there is still a lot required to bring to X-plane all features we users, specially those comming from FSX, wnated to get right away. X-Plane is, IMO, a culture :-)  If we decide to embrace it, we have to accept the good and then not so good aspects of a simulation platform run by a very small, even if also very talented team.

Have we forgotten that quickly the circle of puffy steel wool from the default clouds? The whiteout bug? The fog layer problems? Now we have God rays, correct HDR, much less rendering overhead, reflections have just been added, and Silver Lining has the capability to do ground shadows and correct star/moon phases, not yet implemented........

To me, for a Volumetric cloud generation system SkyMaxx pro is doing real-time miracles. There are computational limits to how far they can stretch things and not swallow Xp's frame-rate after all, and speaking of frame-rate, how many of us were flying with no clouds at all just scant weeks ago to save some frames?

And speaking of weather patterns........  :lol:

I get some beautiful cirrus clouds.  They sometimes show up as the default clouds, but that is usually after I have been monkeying around with the settings.  I find very little difference in FRs with G-Rays on and the same with water reflections.  Also, there has been a great improvement in flying toward the sun.  No glare which had the effect of washing out everything.

I'm happy Cameron.  Keep these great things coming... if there is, in fact, room for improvement!

John

REX for X-Plane 9 was junk.

- Windows only.

- No support or updates for two or three years.

- Texture pack ONLY, no real changes to the underlying cloud engine.

BUYER BEWARE.

REX for X-Plane 9 was junk.

- Windows only.

- No support or updates for two or three years.

- Texture pack ONLY, no real changes to the underlying cloud engine.

BUYER BEWARE.

Junk is a strong word. I had it for XP9 and it did what it advertised. No more, no less. True it didn't match its FSX/FS9 counterpart. Some would call SMP junk as it's not Active Sky Next/OPUS comparable or that it's not Linux compatible, but it's not being advertised as such either. 

sometimes the clouds disappear and reappear, real weather bugs are still occurring, etc. etc

I just do not understand why you continue to criticize SMP for not doing things it's clearly not designed to do, and no-one ever claimed it could do. For hopefully the last time, fixing XP10's admittedly annoying weather-handling quirks doesn't fall under SMP's advertised remit. Neither will it find your missing socks after laundry, nor put the right amount of sugar in your tea.

and Silver Lining has the capability to do ground shadows and correct star/moon phases, not yet implemented........

Do we know if they're on the way...?

Jspahn is the one to ask, but last I knew they needed some help from LR. It would certainly be a coup for x-plane.

1.2 is ok but I still don't think that Skymaxx is our answer to XP10 horrible skies.  SMP clouds look out of place, sometimes the clouds disappear and reappear, real weather bugs are still occurring, etc. etc.  Once REX is released, Skymaxx is finished...everyone will be using REX.  I'm sorry but this payware is terrible

I'm really struggling with this post. Here's why:

1. You are using a fake name in the forums here, or on your customer account. We have no customer named Steven Thao, which means no valid customer with this name who purchased SMP.

2. You are singing the same song very similar to one specific individual everyone knows here...HarryCYUL. The constant talk out of you about REX is suspicious, as this is exactly what HarryCYUL has been doing at X-Pilot (and the only person doing it). Strange is all I am saying. If I remember correctly, wasn't this person (or his wife) banned from Avsim? I guess I raise my eyebrow a bit more because your account is only a couple of months old here as well, BleedAir. The commonality of "talk" is just uncanny.

3. You have been told multiple times that SMP is not a weather injector, yet you still harp the same tune as if you never heard what's already been explained to you.

So...what gives?