Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Capt Speirs

FSX rain looks like REMOVED...

I know this has been brought up many times before, however I am so disgusted with it right now I actually shut down FSX just couldn't take it. I took off out of TNCM and there is a storm there now which totally ruined the flight experience for me. I am very close to switching to DX10 but I just can't give up certain airports. Someday there will be a flightsim worth it, right now it's close but not good enough. Comparing to other types of sims, the FSX world is showing its age. Thanks for letting me rant. Wish there was a way to get rid of the rain textures all together.

Mmmm, well, everyone to their own I guess. But while I agree that FSX rain is not very realistic, I have never deemed it to be so bad that it has ruined a flight.

... Wish there was a way to get rid of the rain textures all together.

Now, now. There's no reason to get all upset. See attached for when you start FSX. Bingo, bango, Bob's your uncle! Clear skies to fly around in. Life's good, once again in the OC!!! :P

post-123415-0-30251000-1387834881.jpg

One of the reasons I went back to FS9, also the snow looks way better.

Crap.. FSX could be so much better, and RUN better.

I Agree. Rain is almost offending given the particle effects we get nowadays. We could accept it in old FSX, NOT in new Prepare3Dv2

X-Plane is quite better.

As said in the prepar3D v2 forums... they could imitate the way train simulator makes the rain nowadays. P3D v2 is Dx11.. I don't find any good reason why they don't implement these fx in P3D. See a video:

That rain can be cleaned with wippers and of course produce blur to vision. Something really important in simulation. We are not talking about a nice looking feature.

But because someone talked about Xplane... here is an example of what I did with my plane the CRJ200 in the xplane9 version:

Guess I've been spoiled using add-on textures for so long I forgot about the ugly default rain and snow.

Well, it's not only the plane effect what is disturbing is the rain cone ugly rendition both in Fsx and Prepare3D v2. It really spoils the immersion, at least for me. You buy this wonderful Budapest, an amazing aircraft, Orbx texture, TrackIR, Opus weather and cameras and ...bang...rain brings you back to the feeling you're in your living room and not flying a plane  B)   :mad:

and the not fixing in P3D v2 of the rain-snow cone cut-end seen when you put 3 screens. How many years did they have to fix it?

As said in the prepar3D v2 forums... they could imitate the way train simulator makes the rain nowadays. P3D v2 is Dx11.. I don't find any good reason why they don't implement these fx in P3D. See a video:

That rain can be cleaned with wippers and of course produce blur to vision. Something really important in simulation. We are not talking about a nice looking feature.

But because someone talked about Xplane... here is an example of what I did with my plane the CRJ200 in the xplane9 version:

Developers for that train simulator are now applying that same method of providing rain in the VC (cab) to apply rain to the exterior views as well.

http://i.imgur.com/iWf8SsN.jpg

Windows, and light covers... Just too bad the "simulator" is more of a train driving game.. 

The rain in FSX looks fine to me, its the snow that I hate the look of.

Now, now. There's no reason to get all upset. See attached for when you start FSX. Bingo, bango, Bob's your uncle! Clear skies to fly around in. Life's good, once again in the OC!!! :P

Works for those who are not looking for real time weather. I am running Opus. Thanks anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

There's a fix called Rain40 if my memory serves which IMO was a big improvement over the default rain effect in FSX.

I believe it's available in AVSIM's file library.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

FSX rain drops on FSX cockpit windows look realistic as seen on this example that you can watch and marvel at raindrops hitting the window:

ir8.jpg

Aharon

There's a fix called Rain40 if my memory serves which IMO was a big improvement over the default rain effect in FSX.

Rain40 is part of the DX10 shader system, Max, and won't change anything in DX9...

I don't think there's an answer at this moment, but I don't see why rain on the cockpit glass - hitting, splashing, distorting vision, streaming and running off to the sides, etc., couldn't be modeled as an add-on though...

I've been using the Rain40 fix in DX9 for quite some time with great results where you don't get the "tunnel" effect and also the rain drops look much better but maybe I'm using an older version of the fix then since you say the fix is for DX10.

Guess I've been spoiled using add-on textures for so long I forgot about the ugly default rain and snow.

What do you use instead of default?

Rain40 is part of the DX10 shader system, Max, and won't change anything in DX9...

I don't think there's an answer at this moment, but I don't see why rain on the cockpit glass - hitting, splashing, distorting vision, streaming and running off to the sides, etc., couldn't be modeled as an add-on though...

I believe that can be modeled. Actually it can but I believe performance is the issue.... surprise surprise

I think I remember it also has to do with the fact that you can only have a certain amount of animations in any given aircraft.

What do you use instead of default?

I've used X Graphics.

And then I've used. AS 2012.

I've used X Graphics.

+1 !  One of the best kept secrets in FSX  :-)

FSX rain drops on FSX cockpit windows look realistic as seen on this example that you can watch and marvel at raindrops hitting the window:

ir8.jpg

Aharon

It rather looks as if you are marvelling at FS9 raindrops. FSX took many backward steps when it came out and rain is just one example.

FSX took many backward steps when it came out and rain is just one example.

Certainly there are many examples, but FSX was programmed by the so-called "ACES Bunker Boys"...they never saw daylight, they never saw the real world...so please forgive them.