Sign in to follow this  
FS20

FSX is absolutely awful

have you tried worm tablets?

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

It's just outdated. Not bad software for its time. Very good, in fact, but unfit for the modern age in terms of performance cost to return. Without any real alternatives however, one can only deal. We're unlikely to see any worthy successor any time soon outside of incremental developments like P3D and XP10 (and the increments keep getting smaller).

Let me guess, a laptop from 2003? Square screen?

Perhaps a handheld calculator, but you need to supply PC specs before anything. Sp2 installed? Uiautomationcore?

Yes, It runs like toilet skids when first installed, so some big tweaking is necessary.

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

It ain't perfect, but I like it!  Still my #1 choice for flightsimming.  Pretty amazing actually when you really think about all it does and the vast range of addons that are available for it now.  Of course one still has to be realistic about settings.

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

I swapped to XP10 recently which has been fantastic. Especially now with the IXEG out soon, and Ramzess 777 and 757. I agree with the OP, I spent days upon days tweaking the platform and still couldnt get above about 20fps at a busy airport. Now I get 35fps, better graphics, no crashes and more realistic flight dynamics.

Hopefully when PMDG release an aircraft for XP10 it'll be the nail in the coffin for this outdated platform.

It runs fine, unless it is registered to an email on the NSA top priority watch list.

In which case the Bill and Robert Gates spy log begins to run in the background and is a real drag on the FPS. 

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Working great here.

HD/PMDG 777/ASN/FS Dreamteam/Flytampa/Etc

Flights of 16 hours are no problem

I will repeat this many times - FSX is like women, can't live with them, can't live without them. But when you spent time with them, you'll know their flaws and also how they are beautiful inside/outside, and you will fall in love! That's FSX my friend, your life partner, your bright side, and your worst enemy, you name it.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/435102-fsx-is-like-a-thin-glass/

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Never once had a crash or OOM since I installed it on release day all those years ago.

And I have only reinstalled it twice, once to move from XP64 bit to W764 after building a new machine and again while troubleshooting why my Eaglesoft CX MFD screen locks up at around 70 KM's from arrival.

Other than the CX no other issues at all over the years.

If your FSX PC is also the machine that is used for general computing tasks, web browsing ect and is a machine that sees a lot of software installation and uninstalling of software I would recomend getting a good bootmanager and dual booting to a separate install used only for windows & FSX.

https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootit-bare-metal.htm

Not the easiest bootmanager to use but it also comes with some rock solid  disk imaging software.

The previous version that I use BootIT NG had the disk imaging built into the bootmanager which is really cool.

Why do people even bother with this platform? It's absolutely, disgustingly bad! If it's not crashing to the desktop its lagging like a gypsy with a mortgage, if it's not doing that its having itself an epileptic stuttering fit! 

This is 2014 people! Why do we continue to demand so much from such a frankly dilapidated platform. It was never designed for HD textures, high fidelity a/c, or even to run on today's hardware.

I see people spending £££ on new systems in the vain hope that these issues will simply disappear! They won't!

FSX has to be one of the most corrupt programs i have ever dealt with, not including windows (won't go there).

You spend £££ on software and FSX can't even run it without having a panic attack! 

I'm soo fed up!

You echo what many have said for years. Many here will fight you on this issue because after many tries and tweaks they've found the sweet spot with their system (either that or they came on board after established tweaks were already found so the hard work to get FSX runable bypassed them). Get P3D v2 and move on. P3D v2 is still under active development, issues are being resolved as they are reported (it was just released back in November and even then it ran better out the box than an untweaked/CPU overclocked FSX). Collaboration with add-on developers and simmers has never been on the level we have with P3D. You'll find loading up the sim and running it you'll find far less issues than you've had with FSX. This is of course if you don't install FSX add-ons that aren't officially supported by the developer to work in P3D. FSX is static at this point meaning it's not going to grow or get improved upon. You are right in everything you've stated here but understand you have options. FSX Next with all the bugs figured out and updated for today's hardware can be found in Lockheed Martin's P3D.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I swapped to XP10 recently which has been fantastic. Especially now with the IXEG out soon, and Ramzess 777 and 757. I agree with the OP, I spent days upon days tweaking the platform and still couldnt get above about 20fps at a busy airport. Now I get 35fps, better graphics, no crashes and more realistic flight dynamics.

Hopefully when PMDG release an aircraft for XP10 it'll be the nail in the coffin for this outdated platform.

Maybe by the time PMDG releases an aircraft for XP10, then perhaps Austin will have implimented the fix for the "phoney" rolling flight dynamics of X-Plane. I think there should be a "sticky" on every flightsim forum, that explains X-Plane's unrealistic flight dynamics, when it comes to forces that should overcome a tendency to constantly bank and require aileron trims. Or use of phoney hidden aysemetric wings, hidden aileron trims, etc. I guess I'll never be a friend of X-Plane, anytime soon. The torque issue, still comes up on various forums, and a whole lot of "usually wrong" excuses follow. Then the thread just dies, with the OP thinking he's somehow missed something, when unrealistic roll is mentioned. Once and a while, someone does mention the X-Plane problem. Just not enough, and the reply is followed by farther comments about Newton's Law, and aysemetric wings as being a standard in small airplanes (there not). For the most part, this effect didn't happen with good old FSX. A few planes for FSX have the problem, happily most don't. Quite often, someone switches from FSX to X-Plane, and decides FSX must have just been to easy, and unrealistic.............because they didn't have to manipulate constant aileron control against roll tendencies. There you have it. My "qualified" opinion on X-Plane's flight dynamics...

Man oh man!  Rockfish season hasn't even started here near the Chesapeake Bay and some flying "fishermen" are already out trolling!

And some fish are biting.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I also agree with the OP!  We deserve much better!  But FSX is my "half full glass"; I love it for what it has to offer since no other single sim (P3D included) at this time has everything that FSX has and I gratefully accept its limitations.  BTW, FSX runs quite well (that is if you consider smoothness and nearly solid 30 fps "well") with my setup, never an OOM and the rare CTD is usually due to a screwed up OC setting.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)