Sign in to follow this  
FS20

FSX is absolutely awful

That's something really unheard of in the computer world, think about that, it really shows how badly FSX was designed.

I personally don't think it's fair to say that all those people at ACES didn't know how to properly code a program. They had lots of very talented people working there.

I personally don't think it's fair to say that all those people at ACES didn't know how to properly code a program. They had lots of very talented people working there.

I'm not saying that at all, nor questioning the ability of the ACES team as programmers. I'm not a programmer so I'm not the one to criticize "the code". I'm just criticizing the end result.

Even if they didn't code it properly, it may be related to specifications from Microsoft, to datelines, to saving cost or whatever other reason UNRELATED to the capabilities of the team.

Be it as it may, the fact that no, let me say, "standard high-end" PC could run FSX properly on its release date remains true.

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

When FSX was released in 2005 no PC was able to run it. That wasn't the case with FS9 (or any other FS for the matter). That's the sad thing about FSX.

oh, god this is Hilarious.  I have had performance issues at one point or another with every version of FS I've ever had.  Besides,  FSX is just FS9 with all the "safeties" removed, and a few other minor updates. my apple II certainly couldn't handle FS2 well all those years ago.

and it was released in 2006, but that's a minor point.

FSX is a dog.  But it is still the best Flight Simulator platform ever released.  show me something better.  and keep in mind, I've seen X-plane

FSX was/is very much like Xplane 10 when released. In 5 or 10 yrs it will be a great simulator. Futuristic.

Be it as it may, the fact that no, let me say, "standard high-end" PC could run FSX properly on its release date remains true.

It was released Q4, 2006 (so just over 7 years ago) and I was running it Christmas, 2006 on a 4-core Opteron system at the time (built Summer, 2006).

The problem was, similar as today, one could not (generally speaking) push the sliders all the way up w/o turning it into a slideshow.  It was decent, but left a lot to be desired.  One of the biggest mistakes imo was Microsoft's "Official system requirements" were totally whack (that's a technical term).  I just saw a post a few days ago someone complaining about FSX... that it was designed for pentium 4s (a good chuckle there).  The idea stlll lingers.  I had an expectation that within 2 to 3 years tops after release, the (then) current systems would have no problem zinging frame rates well over 60fps.  Obviously that didn't happen.

This idea of "properly" is really relative.  If ACES had released FSX with greater limitations i.e. where you couldn't push the sliders up as far / less autogen etc. I think there would have been far fewer complaints.  I know I had a blast with it, albeit with the sliders lower than I would have liked.  That still holds true today me running an i3770k @ 4.8GHz and a GTX680... I would still like to push things a bit harder / better IQ etc.  FSX eye candy is just that... sweet and hard to resist.

Don't understand the OP's reason for starting this thread.  Don't like it... find something else.  I don't understand the big deal.  I would not have logged (nor so many others like me) thousand of hours over the years if we did not find a certain amount of fun and satisfaction using FSX (w/o the frustration he seems to be having).  I've got the A2A C172R Trainer open at the moment.  What a lovely aircraft and such great fun to be poking around where I used to actually fly.  We all get a shot at trying things, getting a little taste, of what we'll likely never get to do RW.

Certainly not as real as it gets... but not half bad in my book.

I have no problems using FSX and I've got a dinosaur for a pc. I have quite a few add-ons and even run it high on the scenery, just not maxed-out.

It looks great and I have wonderful times flying with it. Maybe it's just my luck to not have all the problems I've seen on forums regarding FSX.

If you're having tons of problems I'd say it's more due to your set-up than with FSX. Just sayin'.

jime

Banner_MJC5.png

James D. Edwards

This idea of "properly" is really relative.  If ACES had released FSX with greater limitations i.e. where you couldn't push the sliders up as far / less autogen etc. I think there would have been far fewer complaints.

The autogen performance is limited by the PCIe bus.

The autogen performance is limited by the PCIe bus.

Yeah... I was an avid reader of Phil Taylor's blog.  I still refer to one of them when considering a video card upgrade (GPU variants, performance envelopes, and being an informed consumer)

Both he and that first commenter (NickN) used to post here at AVSIM (as well as a few other ACES members).  Sadly, Phil took some real abuse here.  He was quite a fellow with his experience and desire to make FSX a success.

You should have hired Michael Greenblatt--crusty fellow, but really knew his stuff.

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

It's been troll heavy lately it seems. :rolleyes:

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

No issues to report here other than aircraft issues that have nothing to do with the platform. Money was spent on my system that solved the issues you mentioned: stuttering, lagging, etc.

This is the best "stir the pot" thread I've seen in ages!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

You should have hired Michael Greenblatt--crusty fellow, but really knew his stuff.

I agree, God rest his soul.

It's been troll heavy lately it seems. :rolleyes:

So anyone with a different (OK, maybe not put over in the best of ways) opinion is a troll?

David Porrett