Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

Prepar3D 2.2 Released!

Overclocking certainly seems to have an impact.

Overclocking the GPU definitely has an impact.

I have been overclocking my GTX 780 with V2.x from

shortly after the original release. I get an extra 200mhz

plus out of the core and VRAM and since the release

of the 337.50 driver 220mhz but sometimes the driver fails

so usually stick to no more than +210mhz

Make sure you keep you Graphics card really cold if you

OC, OV it:-)

I get about 5 or 6 FPS more OCed than with stock clocks on the GPU

Edit: I fact just don't bother unless you really know what you are doing

or have deep pockets and will just laugh if you fry it.

OCing or OVing a Graphics card is more risky and more difficult than Doing

the same to you CPU. Steer Clear of it and wait for SLI:-)

Not that I doubt that there could be some performance gain but I can put an extra lump of sugar in my coffee and get 5 to 6 fps more. Locked, unlimtted, Vsync, Triple buffer weather etc. I like to see a true stress test before I would go overclocking.

Unlike CPUs, adding another GPU (provide application supports multiple GPUs) you can realize almost double the performance.

Rob-you are running a dev version to test this now in V 2.2 using dual Titans?  I'm using the patched version only now, having reinstalled only the RA T Duke, and when I fly thru NCA w/ heavy clouds around even Sacramento performance goes into the toilet.  What's odd is I no longer see my VRAM being used as I did w/ pre-2.2 where I could get up into near full use of 6Gb.  I'm assuming this has something to do w/ offloading textures in 2.2 to save VAS ultimately, i.e. that it plays some role in the optimizations there.  I know VAS is about system ram but perhaps they interrelate.  

I'm hoping like heck things get better if I do a complete new install, though others have said no difference between patched and full installs of 2.2.  It's become unusable now around any dense metro areas when there are heavy clouds, and there never happened before.  So between this and the fact HDR bloom seems to have really become almost absent 2.2 has been a big disappointment for me.  I hope it's the fact I don't have a full install of 2.2 plus FTXG & the regional FTX areas.  I had great performance, visuals, etc even in heavy weather w/ 2.1+ hot patch.  I'd love to see some empirical proof that SLI will get anywhere near double performance in 2.2 when you have a strong card already.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I heard we need a good GPU for P3D, will GTX 680 be enough to run it nicely with all complex addons? better than FSX?

1y329d.jpg

I'd love to see some empirical proof that SLI will get anywhere near double performance in 2.2 when you have a strong card already.

Double is it's maximum potential, it'll depend on the P3D and how it works with SLi (alternate frame rendering, split frame rendering, or if just used for SLi AA).  If I get the opportunity, I'll certainly present my findings.

It's become unusable now around any dense metro areas when there are heavy clouds, and there never happened before.

Relative to what?  2.1 didn't have cloud shadows nor ability to set shadow distance for other objects in the scene.

This was done with LM's default Overcast weather (lots of clouds, shadow distance 40,000, shadow map count max) ... when not recording with FRAPs, I was able to maintain above 30 fps, with FRAPs recording it would drop below 30, 25-29 range.

As I've stated before, CPU at 4.2Ghz or 4.8Ghz makes no difference to frame rates, so at this point "my" system is GPU limited.  Hence the desire for SLi support.

Cheers, Rob.

It might be time to start an email campaign to Nvidia to persuade them that us flight simmers deserve more attention.

I recon we must make up a reasonable proportion of buyer purchasing GTX 770 and up. 3 or 4 percent perhaps.

Rob since you have the inside ear why don't you ask the P3D Dev team if they think it would help if we their customers

individually sent emails to Nvidia customer service asking for SLI support for P3D V2.X in there next driver update.

A good 20,000 or so emails in a few days ought to get there attention. :lol:

less 18000 who never read this post = 2000

half of these uninterested = 1000

of those, 400 would think of writting an email = 600

of which 200 consider it a great idea

and 45 would try to

and 3 actually will

but nobody did

Well I bet if Wes or Beau put a sticky thread on their forum entitled SLI and Crossfire support and then in the post wrote something like "we need your all to make you voices heard to AMD and Nvidia to encourage them to Bla bla bla." I beat Nvidia would get a couple of thousand emails.

Better still send an email to everyone who bought Prepar3D V2.X requesting the same and Nvidia would get perhaps 10,000 emails.

I get the impression that its just the driver support that is missing and that's up to Nvidia.

I am going to grab the bull by the horns and go over there and suggest that to them. :lol:

peppy197 has it right, though. When either private companies or the government start getting a barrage of similar emails about an obscure topic, they know it's an email "campaign" by a small group of people. Look at the top ten video games by sales ATM. That's all nVidia cares about, at least with regard to the consumer side of things. Now, if it took a Quadro K6000 card to run P3d, then nVidia might listen.

Rob since you have the inside ear why don't you ask the P3D Dev team

My inside ear to LM is exactly that, I just listen ... I report my findings/data/observations, I answer any questions asked of me ... I try to avoid asking questions as much as possible (I have asked a couple, but I try not to).  LM have been very responsive and grateful to my input, but being a software engineer I know I don't like or want a constant stream of end user requests, so I show LM the same courtesy.  Trust me, the forums are more than enough to get an idea of what people want ... they may not get it, but the "want" is known.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob, out of curiosity what resolution do you run Prepar3D at?

2560 x 1600 currently ... I have 3 monitors but I only use one for flight sims.  I find the monitor edges too much of a distraction to do multi-monitor flying.

If SLi support becomes a reality in P3DV2.x then, I'll step up to 3840 X 2160 monitor (but this also means I'll have to use an external 4K video capture card and PC for recording my flights).

Cheers, Rob.

OCing or OVing a Graphics card is more risky and more difficult than Doing

the same to you CPU. Steer Clear of it and wait for SLI:-)

Everyone is going nuts about SLI.  So, is it expected that SLI usage will double current framerates or is the relationship not that linear?

I've never had a SLI system, but when I selected the components for my new PC, I made sure that it could easily handle a second GPU (it can actually handle two more, in 3-way SLI). My current plan is to add a 2nd 780 GTX later this year, so I have been reading up on SLI.

From what I have read, it is not that linear, and a 50-60% FPS improvement would appear to be more a realistic expectation than a 100% increase. But, exactly how much SLI improves performance varies greatly between programs. A main factor seems to be how well the game is optimized for SLI (high-end games are generally used in the benchmark tests). It also depends greatly on the game's settings, and your monitor's resolution can be a huge factor . . . with higher settings / higher resolutions benefiting the most from SLI.

Here's a very good article on SLI for the NVidia 700 cards (its a bit old, but the best one I have found): GeForce GTX 700 series SLI review

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

Well don't make the same mistake I made. I bought an Asus GTX680 4GB with the intention of going SLI down the road. Asus then decided to discontinue the 680 4GB early on so finding one is near impossible now. Maybe second hand, or may just wait for 8XX series.   

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor