Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ghutcheon

Shooting stars in FSX?

Cruising at FL 390 tonight in PMDG NGX, sure I saw what appeared to be two "shooting stars" come whizzing past the nose of the aircraft from right to left. Bright white with a short "tail". Never seen this before in FSX. By the time I took the controls to look around, they were gone.

Does such a thing exist? It was not another aircraft else the TCAS would have alerted me. I really don't think it was a graphic glitch. I am using REX Essential+ textures and ASN, no other atmospheric add ons.

Greg Hutcheon

I have actually seen a few of them over the years.

It's been awhile though I have been doing alot of daytime flights.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Using FSX vanilla me see birds eagle and rare shooting stars not see if me using some addons maybe some developer block some animations because  the birds eagle are not there and replace by other birds.

The birds in FSX appear if you set the "Thermal visualization" to Natural, under the Weather tab. If you use an addon that sets it to None, likely a weather addon, they are gone...

Shooting stars? That's what you saw, seen them too myself, more than once...pretty nice to see in a bright night...lol...

Enrico

Yes, the shooting stars are part of FSX.  I've seen them just a couple of times over the years. 

The eagles are an option in FSX to show updrafts, if not mistaken. 

Alexander Alonso

Wow ok, I have never seen it before this, guess I was lucky. Pity I was concentrating on the approach plates on my iPad at the time, so I almost missed it completely. Need to do more night flying I guess!

Seen plenty birds, not sure I have seen an eagle though.... and I never did master the gliders and thermals in FSX.

Greg Hutcheon

I can confirm shooting stars exist in FSX. Last summer while doing some Norwegian night flights I saw quite a few, they are very quick - maybe 2-3 seconds, but when you catch them they are quite spectacular!

Its a neat feature in FSX, to keep you satisfied on long hauls during the dead of night ^_^

Ciarán Andrews 

I thought I was seeing things the other month as I thought I saw something whizz across the night sky, then last week I saw them again so they definitely exsist. I am not going mad :smile:

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV1523

UFO maybe? Real pilots see them all the time. :h0134:

marc

ZXRPYTw.jpg

i7 2700K 4.7GHz | Corsair 16GB 2100MHz | Corsair H100i | MSI RTX 2080 Gaming Trio | TCL 43" 4K60 | (2) ASUS 27" 1080P60

Putzing around this morning it was found that the effect "fx_shootstar2.fx" provides the visuals. It is most likely controlled by scenery files with a random number controller. I decided to add it to an aircraft as a smoke and voila! shooting stars whenever wanted. Due to the refresh rate of the aircraft container the "shooting stars" look more like meteors like the one in Russia rather than the long, thin streaks like an upper atmosphere object. (Scenery)

Russia_Meteor_explosion_52642.jpg

Screen_05152014_071142_zpsec16d583.jpg

[SMOKESYSTEM]
smoke.0 = 10000.0,  0.0, 3000.0, fx_shootstar2

Roman_Full_combo_AVSIM_2.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS Host/Client 

Yamaha CR 1000/JBL 2500, AMD 965 BE OC'd @ 3.88, RipJaw 2x4GB 1600 CL7, Gigabyte GTX-1070 OC 8GB, Asus M4A87TD EVO (AMD 870), Samsung 850 EVO 256GB & 1TB SSDs, WD 1T & 500G Black, 19" & 32" LCD, Win7 Pro 64bit, TMaster T-Flight HOTAS, FSX/FS9, FSUIPC / LUA, FSRealWX Pro, PlanG, JoinFS, LittleNavMap

Copilot - Samantha the "Hound"                EAA Chapter 651
       samantha.jpg?dl=1