Sign in to follow this  
toby23

One Tweak to Rule Them All - How to set Affinity Mask Correctly

I tried this but in P3D, I have had more success by checking the Task Manager to see what the computer is actually doing, as I am sure it knows better than me how to manage it's resources, and then calculating a value for Affininty Mask but again, ymmv. I only force Track-IR to run with a high priority as this helps smooth out panning around the VC.

Ryzen 5800X3D, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, Windows 10, Varjo Aero, DOF H3

Just out of interest Toby, I notice that you have wide-view aspect un-ticked in the settings and was wondering why?

Nicely explained post.

Cheers

Paul Golding

Based on my experience in the cockpit of various small aircraft, this is closer to what I see in reality, it's much more claustrophobic in a small aircraft than FSX leads you to believe.

Of course, we can discuss FOV and personal opinion until the cows come home, this is just what I like and of course, P3D performs better like this

Very Iteresting and informative thanks. Does this Calculation for Affinity mask also apply to FSX?

Will test it out myself hopefully this w/end

3080rtx  on a i7 12700k with 32 Gig ddr5. 2gig Ssd

Quest 2

Windows 11

Thx for those tipps.

But ... if it's ok to mention, there is a little mistake in the first Posting:
The counting of the cores begins with 0, not with 1.

So one has to count Core 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and not 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8.

Best Greetings
Marcus

Thanks for the explanation - I was a bit in the dark about how to get the correct affinity mask setting until I read your post! Nice one.

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

Thanks for the explanation - I was a bit in the dark about how to get the correct affinity mask setting until I read your post! Nice one.

Me too, that's why I posted this when I worked it out and saw what a difference it makes when you have the right setting for your set-up.

"Thx for those tipps.

So one has to count Core 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and not 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8."

=============================================

So does this affect the calculations or just a content change ? thanks

Rich Sennett

It doesn't affect anything but technically he is correct, I just find it confusing to start at 0. You can call the cores apple, banana and carrot if you like. All you need to know is which cores you want active and then you use binary (1 or 0) to work out the value.

T6SsGZn.jpg

"Thx for those tipps.

So one has to count Core 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and not 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8."

=============================================

So does this affect the calculations or just a content change ? thanks

The poster is right and we should avoid naming things wrong. The counting of the cores begin with 0 (zero). Let's keep it friendly.

Spirit

It doesn't affect anything but technically he is correct, I just find it confusing to start at 0. You can call the cores apple, banana and carrot if you like. All you need to know is which cores you want active and then you use binary (1 or 0) to work out the value.

T6SsGZn.jpg

Naming it wrong may lead to a misunderstanding if you talk with a pro. Make it perfect, this doesn't cost more.

Spirit

I can't edit the original post, as I've mentioned before, and I don't want to, it's not important.

I can't edit the original post, as I've mentioned before, and I don't want to, it's not important.

Toby, your 'mini-tutorial' was so well done that I have exercised my magic power and "promoted" your OP to an actual tutorial:

http://forum.avsim.net/tutorials/article/100-one-tweak-to-rule-them-all-how-to-set-affinity-mask-correctly/

Unfortunately, our tutorial module will not allow me to change the name of the "submitter", so if you'd like to re-edit your post and then submit it to the Tutorial system yourself, I can then remove the one that I just submitted. I have given you full credit and cited this thread in the "Description" text, which is the best I can do for now.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator