Sign in to follow this  
yorgosGK

Are you going to buy the CS777 for $30 or keep waiting for PMDG's new LM EULA?

One thing I'm not understanding is how PMDG has to charge soooooo much more for the P3D versions of their products. Many addon companies have simply provided new installers to their customers, or released a new P3D capable version for the same price or slightly more if fixes/updates were included.

PMDG keeps saying the price will be through the roof, but I don't get how that works, given so many other developers have lower prices.

One thing I'm not understanding is how PMDG has to charge soooooo much more for the P3D versions of their products. Many addon companies have simply provided new installers to their customers, or released a new P3D capable version for the same price or slightly more if fixes/updates were included.

PMDG keeps saying the price will be through the roof, but I don't get how that works, given so many other developers have lower prices.

Its actually the cost of doing business in P3D world (licensing and such) - They will pass some of this cost onto us - thats kind of it in a nutshell other than some changes for it to work in P3D which I dont think would be much

Rich Sennett

Of course it is Edwards.  It's an opinion!

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

Rich,

"Its actually the cost of doing business in P3D world (licensing and such) - They will pass some of this cost onto us"

How do other payware provide their P3D products for free?

Like, pay for the FSX product and get the P3D version free update...

Same type of deals for quality scenery.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Rich,

"Its actually the cost of doing business in P3D world (licensing and such) - They will pass some of this cost onto us"

How do other payware provide their P3D products for free?

Like, pay for the FSX product and get the P3D version free update...

Same type of deals for quality scenery.

Hi Vaughan I think because due to the complexity of the product and the way it will be used on the P3D platform warrants and up cost as PMDG will incur a cost on Their end - as for scenery there is no licensing involved hence no up charge

(remember this is a training platform and when you have the most accurate aircraft and all of the legalities involved using it in a training platform the rules change) just my thoughts on it

In the end I dont think it will be a major cost for Our use but high end 737 - 777 training schools will pay much more and they should as they are making money off Their students 

Rich Sennett

There was another commercial member that once said that he/she had contacted LM about the license cost. LM came back and said that there was no substantial fee to cause a higher price for a P3D version over a similarly prices FSX one. 

I'll take that with some assumption that it is true, but I personally think the added cost might be just because the face that PMDG planes in FSX are sold as a game, entertainment, just for sh*ts and giggles, etc.. We as enthusiasts take it seriously, but FSX is still just a platform for entertainment.

Where as P3D is a professional, academic, and commercial tool. There is a bit more weight and liability there that PMDG might be wanting to cover through the pricing. I wonder if there is something involving their Boeing Cert. that also makes PMDG have to price their P3D planes differently for a professional/commercial product vs. an entertainment product.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Academic license is priced with the FSX version. I don't by any means recommend this or hope people are not dishonest and do this because it would be a breach of the license, but I also wouldn't be surprised if the Academic one would install onto any P3D version if you bought that for your professional P3D version.

The CS 777 isn't a bad deal. For craps and giggles, I found a noted AVSIM user's PMDG 777 tutorial and followed it with the CS 777 to see how they compared and if the CS lacked anything in any major, discernable way. My conclusion is that, given the price of a P3D-compatible product, it's not a bad deal.

Having said that, I'm a bit worn out with the issues I encounter with CS products generally (EPR not accurately working in older Boeings), activation problems galore, poor customer service, etc.

Unique to the 777, I can't ever get the thing to 100% line up with the localizer and hence autolands are well off the centerline. The frame rates in the VC aren't great although this can be alleviated by lowering the resolution of all of the CRTs in the cockpit (go into the panel.cfg and halve the pixel resolutions of all of the VC windows). I also think it only has half the number of correct fix pages so that your ETOPS planning can get hairy.

It's a cool plane and I want to like it but, like every plane CS has made, it's not finished. I understand the concept of funding your beta and development stages but the whole model of charging for unfinished planes is getting old (I'm not plopping $60+ for the 0.60 or 0.80 BBS A330 either)...

My understanding is Pmg is looking at P3D. Probably like me awaiting the 64 bit platform

My understanding is Pmg is looking at P3D. Probably like me awaiting the 64 bit platform

Ah no 32 bit will be in the future - if they are waiting for 64 they may not still be in business 

Rich Sennett

Tons of conjecture in this thread that has nothing to do with the "Should I buy CS777 or PMDG777?" 

A. We do not know pricing for any P3D PMDG products simply because they do not exist yet.  As such, it is meaningless to make any assumptions regarding this point

B. We do not have access to market data regarding flight simulator sales that would be indicative of a mass exodus from FSX to P3D.  As such, it is meaningless to make any assumptions regarding this point

Now regarding the actual topic... Is CS777 worth it?  It is hugely enjoyable, and I say yes.  Please be informed however that there are still issues being ironed out.  Perhaps the most annoying is the random disappearance of my flight path after I spend 10 minutes mapping out a flight to go across the pond... this issue seems random... sometimes it works as it should, sometimes it does not.  When the CS777 IS working, it is an exceptional simulation with amazing sounds and beautiful eye candy.

I kinda of look at like this, if Captain Sim is willing to provide me with a working sim, that will be supported, and price it to me that is not unreasonable: Guess who I support?

PMDG is that very expesive Jaguar that you can only buy in major metropolitan areas and they could care less if you have to drive 200 miles for a service, as CS is the Chevy dealer down the street who may not mae the very best, but they try!

Still waiting for the B77F and B773 varieties for P3D to comeout.

In the tradition of the flightsimmer's legendary impatience, here's hoping it's soon!  :lol:

Still waiting for the B77F and B773 varieties for P3D to comeout.

In the tradition of the flightsimmer's legendary impatience, here's hoping it's soon!  :lol:

Freighter and 300 work fine you dont have to wait - use migration tool this is a must and there is an edited aircraft.cfg file tweak posted by Mark in the CS forums

Rich Sennett

Freighter and 300 work fine you dont have to wait - use migration tool this is a must and there is an edited aircraft.cfg file tweak posted by Mark in the CS forums

Thanks for the tip Rich, I think I'll hold on anyway as I prefer a native installer.

Thanks for the tip Rich, I think I'll hold on anyway as I prefer a native installer.

Welcome Dave

Rich Sennett