Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

How are yearly months defined in Australia\NZ versus Europe/USA?

How did people travel from Sydney to Perth before air travel? .

We have these things called 'trains'. :-). Not to be confused with 'road-trains' which are are series of stupidly long trailers behind a semi.

Canberra is cold today!

WW1294.png

From Sydney to Perth is easy. First go down the pub and have a few coldies. Then stagger to the main road and wait to hitch a ride on a camel train, no problem.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

Canberra is cold today!

I have been there when it snowed! You could have knocked me over with a feather... :Nerd:

Probably dates back to earliest days of nation w/ the ties to England, and it stuck. Maybe too was a means to better identify the important date as opposed to any other day, eg. July 4th during the calendar year.

I can understand that logic.

Maybe I should refer the question to Ben Franklin. lol :blink:

Get back to us when you get an answer! :BigGrin:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest JustanotherPilot

Here's some other relatively unknowns about Australia, that have impacted the world - the 'Black Box' flight recorder, ILS landing system ,Wi-fi, and Cochlear ear implants are all Australian inventions.

Monday then tuesday then wednesday here in the UK. March always follows feburary even in a leap year.

Here's some other relatively unknowns about Australia, that have impacted the world - the 'Black Box' flight recorder, ILS landing system ,Wi-fi, and Cochlear ear implants are all Australian inventions.

Yes, but in NZ we claim the Pavalova desert, Jet Boat, The Pacific Class Steam locomotive  ( Mountain climber )  but my Aussie cousins claimed Russell Crowe, Crowded House and Sam Neil. Ok, you can keep Russell Crowe :lol:

We often have a chuckle here that when Russel Crowe is winning an award he is Australian, but when he is throwing telephone's he is a Kiwi.

Just joking with you, in the spirit of the Anzac bond.

I lived in Brisbane for a few years, and I remember a workmate commenting that he was off to put on his Thongs. Without too much detail, in NZ Thongs are woman's underwear.

I thought what !!!! he wants to put on women's underwear ??? Good grief , then it was pointed out that this is what the  Aussies call a certain footwear ( named after Japanese sandals). We call them Jandals, and I think in the US they are called Flip Flops. 

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Yup flip flops

Or floppers

Or flops

Or sandals (that's saved for the Birkenstock variety mostly though)

Yup flip flops

Reminds me of a Jimmy Buffet song :lol:

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Flip flops, you mean zories (zor-rees) what we called them in Okinawa. :P

Ok so in America you guys go mm/dd/yy and in Australia/NZ we go dd/mm/yy

So you guys can stop calling it Fourth of July because that is our way of saying it....for you guys it should be July Fourth  :lol:

:united-states-flag:

Matthew Kane

Flip flops, you mean zories (zor-rees) what we called them in Okinawa. :P

Cheers, always wondered what they were called in Japan.

I could care less, probably depends where you are from in the US, I say, I could not care less, or I couldn't care less. In the west we say fur, not for, so when in the west one will say for example, we are in fur a big storm, I think fur instance :blush: Many things in US in the south we called all pop, coke. Take states, Virginia, is Va-ginia, Wisconsin, Wis-sconsin. Too many odd things.

And in Australia we always snigger when americans say they are "rooting" for their team. Now, that means something completely different down here.

www.antsairplanes.com

Another thing with driving and distance.

When you ask someone overseas how far is it from place A to place B, they will usually tell you x miles or KM.

When you ask someone in here how far is it from place A to place B, we will usually tell you x hours.

We really don't care how far (distance) it is, we just want to know how long it will take to get there.

That's because the distances are huge. Where else can you drive for 10 hours and not leave the state.