Sign in to follow this  
yidahoo

X-Plane _ The Current State Of Play

Nice shots! I quite like that lens flare in SkyMaxx 2.0; maybe not realistic strictly speaking, but it's a nice touch!

This isn't the best place to ask, but has SkyMaxx's real-world weather representation improved any in the betas?

SkyMaxx is still not a weather injector, it relies on X-Plane for the weather information so will only represent what it gets.  The news stuff in version 2.0 is excellent though. Most notably cloud shadows and lens flare as well as more realistic clouds. The lens flare is switchable if it is not to your taste. I have found even more performance increases over default clouds as well

Jason E Row

Follow me on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/JasonRowPhotography

Just out of interest, what kind of memory usage does X-Plane use?  I know it's 64-bit, does it actually use more than 4Gb, what do you on average see it use with add-ons running etc?

Ian R Tyldesley

I see you're running RTH so it's pretty safe to say you're running HDR mode. Can Skymaxx 2 do cloud shadows in non-HDR mode? 

SkyMaxx is still not a weather injector, it relies on X-Plane for the weather information so will only represent what it gets.

Yes, I understand that SkyMaxx is not a weather injector; I'm wondering whether there have been any improvements to its ability to represent the real-world weather information that is available through X-Plane's weather options. When I last used SkyMaxx, it seemed like it interpreted everything from ominous storms to thick overcast as quaint cumulus clouds. Not sure if I'm being more clear. :[

Just out of interest, what kind of memory usage does X-Plane use?  I know it's 64-bit, does it actually use more than 4Gb, what do you on average see it use with add-ons running etc?

It mainly depends on what addons are you using , if you are using HD MESH with WORLD2XP generated OSM , yes you'll need more than 4GB , 8GB RAM will be ok for now .

When LR will implement there increased load destance , it'll be a good idea to have 16GB with the addons mentioned above ...

IMO the best thing is to get 16GB and you'll be ok .

Yes, I understand that SkyMaxx is not a weather injector; I'm wondering whether there have been any improvements to its ability to represent the real-world weather information that is available through X-Plane's weather options. When I last used SkyMaxx, it seemed like it interpreted everything from ominous storms to thick overcast as quaint cumulus clouds. Not sure if I'm being more clear. :[

I think they did , they added a new cloud style (towerish for thunderstorms) , and that in 10.30 LR are working to enhance that ability of drawing a true overcast layer .

I was running into troubles with eight and went to twelve (actually bought 16 but cpu cooler got in the way for one of the slots, I know, I'm a dumb*ss) and it's all good now. Future developments will mean that you'll have the option to load 12 scenery tiles instead of the current 6 for those who like to fly high at which time twice the ram can be used (you should still be able to opt for 6 tiles) so going on my experiences, 24 will be needed, 32 really.

Looking forward to purchasing SkyMaxx  2.0. Great shots.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

you'll need more than 4GB , 8GB RAM will be ok for now .

so going on my experiences, 24 will be needed, 32 really.

Interesting, thank you Chaps.

Ian R Tyldesley