Sign in to follow this  

Any use for an Android tablet in P3D...?

I am thinking about getting a 'smallish' laptop but I am also looking at an Android tablet instead: light, easy, touch, longer battery, etc. I was also thinking about using that laptop for a few flightsim things like checking charts but also maybe to run PFPX or ANS etc. Now for those things a tablet isn't of much use of course... So I was wondering if there is ANY good use for an Android tablet with P3D...? Maybe there are some interesting apps for it?

I send all my PFPX flight plans to my Nexus 7, I have PDFMax so I can do annotations on the fly.  I also fly a lot in North America so I have the FltPlan app for charts, I get the ones for Europe/Asia on the internet.

I love it.  You won't regret.

sig01.png

If you have the Aerosoft Airbus 318/319 the left hand MCDU can be operated from an Android tablet with ease.

Chris

Got a nice kneeboard sized tablet, very simple one, I just use it for PDF reader with checklists, flightplan, charts and manual if I need one.

Cheers!

Maarten

There is an android app called something like splashtop extend which allows you to use an android tablet as another display. There is a trial version that runs for 5 mins which I tested out to see if i could use it as a CDU/FMS (or any other instrument) and it worked great.

Another option might be to get an asus t100 as it runs windows so great for apps like EFB or any other windows application. I can highly recommend this as I use it for this exact purpose.

Darren Morris

I use a tablet just like I would in a real cockpit, I have an 8" LG tablet that I have attached to my yoke.  I run a program called Avare (Charts, weather, geo referenced approach plates, airport diagrams, etc)  that has a PC server client that connects into P3D to provide realtime GPS like data. 

Jim

Another option might be to get an asus t100 as it runs windows so great for apps like EFB or any other windows application. I can highly recommend this as I use it for this exact purpose.

That's interesting option...! Looks like a tabletlaptop: best of both worlds maybe...? Although I see there are some nice apps for Android and flightsimming... Is that Asus T100 strong enough to run various sim addons? Could you run PFPX and ASN on it...? It's rather cheap, compared to (some) tablets! You are running EFB in it and it's actually connected to P3D too?

I use a tablet just like I would in a real cockpit, I have an 8" LG tablet that I have attached to my yoke.  I run a program called Avare (Charts, weather, geo referenced approach plates, airport diagrams, etc)  that has a PC server client that connects into P3D to provide realtime GPS like data. 

Jim

In the US/Canada, FltPlan does that.  Use FSUIPC to get the GPSOut by Bluetooth, and your tablet will treat it as an external GPS antenna.

sig01.png

So I was wondering if there is ANY good use for an Android tablet with P3D...?

I have an older Asus Transformer tablet, it makes a great coaster on which to sit my coffee cup while flying. Do not want any coffee stains on my nice shiny desktop. ;o) 

On a more serious note, I use it for airport charts, and for flight planning on simbrief. I can't do without it now.

Jazz

Agree with all of the above however I would get a second pc screen first before a laptop/tablet

I use a laptop to run aivlasoft EFB but use the second screen to perform countless tasks very quickly.

ZORAN

I use mine to run Simplates, view a PDF of my pfpx ofp, view PDF checklists etc...I used a whiteboard/printed charts and checklists before buying the tablet, I'd never go back.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

That's interesting option...! Looks like a tabletlaptop: best of both worlds maybe...? Although I see there are some nice apps for Android and flightsimming... Is that Asus T100 strong enough to run various sim addons? Could you run PFPX and ASN on it...? It's rather cheap, compared to (some) tablets! You are running EFB in it and it's actually connected to P3D too?

Yes I run EFB on it with it connected to p3d - runs perfectly well, no problem at all. As for running ASN I do not know, as far as I have ever noticed ASN does not appear to use much cpu (not that I'm sitting there monitoring it) so it could well cope with it but difficult to say without trying it. The t100 although not the most powerful by any stretch is multicore and runs windows without any lag and is very responsive. I don't own PFPX but given that it is planning software my guess is that it would run ok. Topcat runs fine and fsc9 does too although takes noticeably longer to load up than on my pc, but once loaded is fine.

Darren Morris

I use an app called "Naviator" on my 10inch tablet. (http://www.naviatorapp.com/)

I can follow my route on google maps,(overlaid with some nav data - VORS/NDB's/Airfields) but more usefully in the USA on Sectional Charts, and TAC charts and Low/High airways charts, all the sort of charts you see on skyvector.com. It has great flight planning functions and is aimed primarily at real world pilots, but has the ability to get FSX and P3D transmit their position coordinates to Android devices.It costs about $32/year for the full chart tracking verion, much cheaper for basic maps with nav aid overlays, but has a 30 day free trial, so is no risk.

For an extra cost you can also have it use geo-ref charts, which enable your position on airports, or approach charts to be shown, useful for online flying, or instrument training scenarios.

The great thing about most of these apps is they use practically no resources on the main FSX/P3D PC, just a small prog transmitting the sims coordinates, so have no effect on frame rate. I used to run EFB mostly for airport and enroute tracking, rather than the flight planning functions, but now I run Naviator for that, freeing up resources.

Also the ability to "pinch-zoom" charts on the tablet is a great advantage to me, saves me constantly searching for my reading glasses!

See also here:

http://vineripesoftware.wordpress.com/

For a low cost flight tracker app "FlightMap, with some nice nav functions, and the ability to follow FSX native flightplans. And FlightGauge an app that sends the main flight instruments to your tablet, allowing you to place the tablet directly in front of you to fly the aircraft, so if you wish you could use your main screen just for an outside view. Both apps are less than $5 each, a bargain.

These low cost Android tablets/Apps are brilliant for flight simmers

Eugene 

I use my Android 7-inch tablet for a few of things.

1. Charts. I keep google's Chrome set to Airnav.com and download any charts I may need while flying in U.S. I then use Adobe's .pdf reader to call up those I need. Quick and oh-so cheap... free.

2. I created a checklist for the ERJ, outputted it as a .pdf and saved it to my tablet.

3. FSWidget's 'Gmap' works great for XPlane. It works well for P3dV2.4 too if you use their network utility and have Estonian MIgration tool running at the same time.

So, yeah, lots of uses.

By the way - also nothing to stop you running the tablet through a TV with HDMI - that's what I do - I have the tablet close to me on on an adjustable bracket (one of those bendy/tubular ones - but loads of different types of brackets and stands available on ebay, and not expensive).

I had a spare 32inch TV available - but my tablet didn't have an HDMI outlet - so I bought one of these from Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BVKWKBU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  (£6.50/$10)

An adaptor that plugs into the standard Android power socket (But check the tablet supports MHL mode - most do), so now I have a great moving map displayed on the TV - and if I pull up an approach chart it's big enough not to require any pinch zooming - which I find useful.

The possibilities are endless!

Eugene