Sign in to follow this  
Matt2218

777-300ER Air Force One

Our A310 got a facelift recently.  I got to take a tour of Trenton from above ages ago in the grey ones.  The A310 is a beauty.  

Not too fond of the new colors though.  

Coming soon:

Capture.PNG

sidefront.PNG

sig01.png

Update...I uploaded a fix for the nose stripe (the texture mapping is rough up there). It's in the Avsim library now.

sendfile.php?Location=AVSIM&Proto=file&I

Since POTUS (or the gov't anyway) is thinking of upgrading ( ) to the 777, do you think it's in need of a livery update? Do you enjoy the current colors?

I think AF1 is one of those things that will probably just never change...like the light saber it's "an elegant livery for a more civilized age." Other than silver paint on the belly once they have a cfrp fuselage.

Would the 777 as a replacement be more economical than the older 747 or newer 748?

I think the recurring operating expenses for a 777 would be lower, but the acquisition cost for the 748 might actually by cheaper if they get the last few off the line. That said, presidential travel is such a big, expensive undertaking that I think the difference in the economics of the aircraft would be a rounding error!

Coming soon:

Looks good Max!

Matt Smith

Prepar3D

Mat2218 - do you mind making one for the 777-200LR? Please?

No problem. I'm out of town for a couple of days but I will try to push out "31000" over the next week or two. B)

Matt Smith

Prepar3D

:

Since POTUS (or the gov't anyway) is thinking of upgrading ( :ph34r: ) to the 777, do you think it's in need of a livery update?  Do you enjoy the current colors?  

:

Since the current colors were selected by Jacqueline Kennedy when the 707's were being used, there is a lot of sentiment regarding them. Even generations later, there is a powerful mystique surrounding the Kennedy name. It would be very unpopular to change it just for the sake of change.

Besides, when you see either of the 2 aircraft up close, it's a beautiful classic livery. It certainly doesn't look 50+ years old!

Correct me if I am wrong but when the president flies on any particular aircraft, isn't that at the time known as air force one?

Pretty sure I heard that in an air force one documentary.

Or Executive One if it is a civilian aircraft. (The VC35 used as Airforce One may LOOK like a 747-200 with big engines like any other 450 passenger carrying Boeing plane that United Airlines might own, but it is actually Military).

Since the current colors were selected by Jacqueline Kennedy when the 707's were being used, there is a lot of sentiment regarding them. Even generations later, there is a powerful mystique surrounding the Kennedy name. It would be very unpopular to change it just for the sake of change.

Besides, when you see either of the 2 aircraft up close, it's a beautiful classic livery. It certainly doesn't look 50+ years old!

Interesting - did not know about the Jackie connection.

Either way I'm glad a lot of people seem to be enjoying this paint and I'm looking forward to doing the LR. Technically speaking it should be very easy to downsize the work that has already been done.

Matt Smith

Prepar3D

Here's the -200LR version:

AF1_200LR_1.jpg

AF1-200LR_2.jpg

AF1-200LR_3.jpg

Will do a final quality check and try to upload to AVSIM tomorrow.

Matt Smith

Prepar3D

Interesting - did not know about the Jackie connection.

The Kennedy's used French-born American industrial designer Raymond Loewy for the paint scheme, most agree a major improvement over the safety conscience scheme that the USAF had used on the Ike's CV-137. In my opinion, it's one of few 60's designs that is timeless... but then I am an old enough to remember all of the 60's.

Dan Downs KCRP

Very impressive repaint. Look forward to trying it out.

The Kennedy's used French-born American industrial designer Raymond Loewy for the paint scheme, most agree a major improvement over the safety conscience scheme that the USAF had used on the Ike's CV-137. In my opinion, it's one of few 60's designs that is timeless... but then I am an old enough to remember all of the 60's.

Indeed it is a design classic. It hasn't dated probably because it is unique in style and not like a typical 1960s airline livery.

As the late Robin Williams said if you remember the 1960s you weren't there. I remember them too but my excuse is I was just a child. ;)

The royal family usually travel on a BA 777 across the pond.

That started out as a cost saving measure. Not a popular move at the time. The Queen used to always use an RAF VC10. They used to take the most recently overhauled C.Mk.1 off the line, touch up the paintwork and install a pallet mounted Royal Suite module in place of the standard seating up front.

ki9cAAb.jpg

All this debate with the 777 potentially being Air Force One, and im just sitting here thinking it could replace the C32A's which usually fly the Vice President as Air Force Two. USAF_C-32A.jpg

This has a slightly different paint scheme, but is a more accurate plane for a twin engine single deck aircraft.

All this debate with the 777 potentially being Air Force One, and im just sitting here thinking it could replace the C32A's which usually fly the Vice President as Air Force Two. 

Oh. Good point! They used to fly that thing down to ROA to do practice approaches. I remember driving home from university and seeing it fly over, thinking "ROA is a bit small isn't it???" Later found out that they were only doing practice approaches and heading back home.

Kyle Rodgers

Oh. Good point! They used to fly that thing down to ROA to do practice approaches. I remember driving home from university and seeing it fly over, thinking "ROA is a bit small isn't it???" Later found out that they were only doing practice approaches and heading back home.

I work on its home base. I get to see this plane, its twins and the USAF C40Bs almost every day I work.

USAF_Boeing_C-40B_CBR_Gilbert-1.jpg

I also get to see the Vc-25s as well.

The thing I like about the C-32s is they are so overpowered, especially in the VIP configuration where they are basically empty.They only fly like 50 people or so.