Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Consider making forename mandatory in signatures

I know a lot of people who post on AvSim don't like using their full names. Fair enough. I've never had a problem with it but some will want to 'hide' behind a collection of letters and numbers for whatever reason.

But when responding to those people it's sometimes a pain to type out their 'handle' as often it doesn't exactly roll off the tongue (or my fingers on the keyboard!)

Could you consider making it mandatory for all forum posters to include their forename in their signature? That would certainly help when replying and wouldn't compromise their identity.

Thanks.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray, I've had my 'forename' in my signature for years, yet nearly everyone insists on using my 'forum name' (which is actually my FCC assigned amateur license!) instead... :He He:

It's a bit ironic that you mentioned complicated usernames, since there was a fellow yesterday who registered and had so many diacritical marks along with totally random letters it would have really been a chore to try typing it out in a reply... :LMAO:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

There's always exceptions to the rule eh Fr. Bill? Maybe your 'handle' is easy to remember because it's brief. There's also the dilemma of whether people call you Bill or Fr. Bill so n4gix is perhaps the safe option. :wink:

The chap you mention is a classic case to strengthen my case. I suppose Tom has the final say.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Wouldn't copying and pasting the name work for the long or random names?

Exactly! It's a lot easier to copy and paste whatever name/handle you want to reply to than typing it.

Is "Broderick" easier to type than "james493"? Is "Jedidiah" easier to type than "63joe4"?

As for the "hiding" allegation.. that may be true in some instances but, so what? Some handles are made up for fun too and the person likely uses the same handle in more than one forum... My handle, "alhefner", is what I use in almost every forum I use! The exception is in a couple of outdoor and hunting related forums where I use "Renoyote".

No need to go making more and more rules.

Try the copy / paste option. It gets pasted as a hyperlink. Some may then want to convert it to plain text. More work.

All I'm asking is for you to give people the option to use your forename or not.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I agree fully with you Ray.  I would have thought most individuals here at AVSIM would have included their full name in the signature by now since it is a policy of PMDG for anyone posting to include their full name (that's how I found out there are so many John Doe's who are PMDG customers).  LOL.  Seriously though, I think most people provide their real first names when asked as I think we have a pretty intelligent and mature community.  Hopefully the debate can continue here as I would like to hear some more thoughts on this subject.  Good topic!

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Could you consider making it mandatory for all forum posters to include their forename in their signature? That would certainly help when replying and wouldn't compromise their identity.

Why - there are already too many mandatory requirements in this world?

Jim,

I was about to make the same point about the PMDG Forum here who, as you say, require your full name. I don't see too many dissenters about that rule.

Gerry, since your signature already complies with my request I fail to see your point. People address you as either mgh or Gerry. AvSim is a privately run forum. They can do as they wish.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

All I'm asking is for you to give people the option to use your forename or not.

Well, now, that's a different thing completely Ray Proudfoot... an option, that the USER can select is certainly a good idea but then, that already exists if the user wants it... all they have to do is fill in a signature line with their name or use their real name as a handle...

Oh, and I did use copy and paste and just one more click of the mouse to remove the hyperlink...

I've never minded using my real name in my signature, as it's so common as to be nearly anonymous anyway! ^_^

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Make it a rule and then someone has to enforce it, forum wide. In the last 30 days, as of this writing, we have had just over 19,000 posts made. As enthusiastic as Jim is to see people adopt this, I am sure that if we were to make it a rule, he and his team would go into mutiny mode. And, I wouldn't blame them. You now how onerous and time consuming it is just to enforce our signature rules? Jim and team spend hours of every day doing that and a whole lot more. Asking them to double or triple those volunteer hours would be, well, over the top. Ray, of course, if you are volunteering to undertake that rule enforcement, I might reconsider. :Big Grin:

As for giving people the option, we have done that since day one.

EDIT: Given the median age of our membership here, I would have thought most would be providing their names anyway. I mean, what 60 something year old uses a moniker like NG5IX????

Gerry, since your signature already complies with my request I fail to see your point. People address you as either mgh or Gerry. AvSim is a privately run forum. They can do as they wish.

My point is that you  want compel me to use my forename. Apart from that, will you expect us to submit an official certificate stating our forenames to AVSIM before we can become members - In reality that would be  pointless and infeasible?

Maybe we could have our proper facial pic's up as well,  you know so your proper name could correspond with your correct facial pic.