Sign in to follow this  
Michael Moe

Biggest single VAS killers inside P3D (list)

Hi,

Does anyone know the priority to start lowering settings ?

1. Autogen Slider

2. TML=1024 (just a guess)

3. XX etc etc

Would be nice to have a list

Thanks

Michael Moe 

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Would be an interesting list to have, if only to make recommendations to folks who struggle with OOMs.

Would be quite easy to compile too, just a little time intensive (too time intensive for me sadly).

Add the fsuipc offset thing so you can see the VAS remaining in your title bar. Then it gets easier to figure out which addons are bad.

LOD is the big one

When flying from A to B turn off any addon airports that you do not need.

TML helps a lot when set to 1024 if you have hi res airports that are 4096

autogen and clouds kill it for me.

My graphics card struggles when the weather is overcast, and I get stuttering. If I look at the load when the stutters occur, it is when the load of my graphics card goes well and truly beyond the 100%.

Hi,

So far then

0. LOD  (?)

1. Autogen Slider

2. TML=reduce from 2048- to 1024 (just a guess)

3. Clouds distance/covering ?

4. Traffic density 100%-0%?

Thanks

Michael Moe 

autogen and clouds kill it for me.

My graphics card struggles when the weather is overcast, and I get stuttering. If I look at the load when the stutters occur, it is when the load of my graphics card goes well and truly beyond the 100%.

Sorry but i am not sure its related to VAS only. Might be just a slow card . No offense :-) What i want with the list is to see which part of P3D eats most memory

Michael Moe

Here's a little comparision I've done in P3D 2.4 (PMDG 737 NGX, AS Heathrow Extended, FTX Global, ASN)

LOD 4.5                 3.18
LOD 2.5                 3.04             Difference ~140 MB VAS

High res cockpit    2.97    
Low res                 2.77             Difference ~200 (!) MB VAS

Scen. complexity sparse    3.11
Scen. complexity normal    3.18       Difference ~ 70 MB VAS    

Road traffic     30    2.71        
Road traffic     0      2.66                  Difference ~50 MB VAS

Summarized: Turn down LOD and TML, use 512/1024 clouds. Building density sparse and (as a compensation) vegetation density max is also helpful.

Use low res cockpit textures if possible. (Would be very helpful for the 777, PMDG :rolleyes:)

Lowering scenery complexity might also help, especially on huge airports, but lowering it below normal can induce scenery problems.

I am yet to turn down Autogen slider below Extremely dense.

TML - 1024 and LOD will help a lot in VAS if you have AI traffic down to 10-15% .. 

Is there any tool like SceneryConfig Editor in FSX for P3D... That would be very handy to turn off any addon airports

@suvo Scenery Config Editor is working in P3D, using it every day.

I am yet to turn down Autogen slider below Extremely dense.

TML - 1024 and LOD will help a lot in VAS if you have AI traffic down to 10-15% .. 

Is there any tool like SceneryConfig Editor in FSX for P3D... That would be very handy to turn off any addon airports

Scenery Config Editor works for P3Dv2 too

*edit - beaten to it lol ^^^^^^^^^

@suvo Scenery Config Editor is working in P3D, using it every day.

So, instead of FSX.exe path, you are pointing it to the P3D path?

Yeah, it's that easy (C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\scenery.cfg)

I will just share my system...P3D 2.5 and PMDG 777

With TML 1024 (from 2048), LOD High (4.5), 4x MSAA, Normal Autogen, Extremely Dense Scenery Complexity, and 20% AI UT2, my results:

KSFO (vanilla) to VHHH (T2G) = Long flight and no OOM and more than 700 mb free VAS.

KDEN to KIAD (both Flightbeam) = no OOM

KDEN just parked (more than 1 GB free VAS)

Waiting for FTX Global and ASN, but I don´t think it will have a huge impact. 

I would say that for me TML for 1024 and LOD 4.5 did a HUGE difference with the 777 PMDG. And the best part is... smooth! Loving the 777!

I would say that for me TML for 1024 and LOD 4.5 did a HUGE difference with the 777 PMDG. And the best part is... smooth! Loving the 777!

Thanks , 

So far part of Top 3 sliders to adjust . Also love the PMDG777. 

What about loading specific saved graphic options? I think i saw in version 2.4 that you would have to quit P3D and start again.

Hopefully we can just save profiles and load via the P3Dmenu without having to restart.

Thanks

Michael Moe

Nobody mentioned photoreal scenery?  I'm not convinced that TML is a major factor yet, I've only had a few hours with P3D2.5 and PMDG77X but I did make it KATL:to FSDT KLAX with 4096 TML and plenty of VAS remaining.  LOD is a major factor.

Nobody mentioned photoreal scenery? I'm not convinced that TML is a major factor yet, I've only had a few hours with P3D2.5 and PMDG77X but I did make it KATL:to FSDT KLAX with 4096 TML and plenty of VAS remaining. LOD is a major factor.

Thanks. LOD stays on top. Photoreal is not part of P3DV2 sliders but nice to know.

Michael

Orbx Vector is another VAS killer. It can easily consume 300 Mb VAS when all options are selected. I always turn off secondary and tertiary roads as well as the power lines. No traffic or traffic lights for primary and secondary roads. Helps with fps and VAS.

LOD is for sure one of the most important levers for saving VAS. If I'm really short on VAS, I turn it down from 4.5 (my usual setting) to 3.5. Saves about 150 Mb (depending on location of course).

Today I completed a flight from Aerosoft Heathrow Extended to Taxi2Gate Istanbul flying over FTX Global, FTX Vector and openLC Europe. Short after takeoff, free VAS was down to 700 Mb. I thought, I would not make it to Istanbul, but it stayed at 700 Mb all the way to Istanbul and the destination airport consumed only another 200 Mb so that I landed with 500 Mb of free VAS. So with the right settings P3D v2.5 can handle the PMDG 777. And it's just a wonderful plane. Definitely one of my best all time buys. Loving it...

Lots of AI traffic also.

As an example load FSDT Klax or T2G VHHH, get in the 777,then turn AI up to 100%

VAS slowly depletes as all the different AI livery variations load then OOM comes along quickly.

I spent a long time getting rid of the default Liveries in UT2 and also assigning several variations to many of my favourite airlines.

But I'm thinking of going and cutting back the number of livery variations to 1 per airline/type.

I believe if Liveries are the same model and same textures, eg all Qantas 737 use the same livery, then VAS is less affected.

I'm also replacing retiring aircraft. Eg 767 for Qantas is replaced with A330. That's less variations to load. Can also use same model for both types of A330.

Seeing as I use no AI, I only use it for vatsim.

What are your guys experience with clouds? To they take VAS, or is more vram that it consumes (video memory)?

I would really like to check the "enhance overcast" in ASN.

Regardless of settings, the biggest VAS hoarders are complex scenery addons...period. I experimented with DDesign Miami X and LatinVFR Miami, and never made it out of the gate...lol. I uninstalled both, since it's simply not worth it at this point, despite the fact that performance with those addons was somewhat negligibly effected.

The 32bit VAS limitation within P3D will be the biggest thorn in the side of scenery developers going forward, I'm afraid.

GEX is costing me 400MB+ for some reason. Only OOM I've had since 2.5 was after installing the GEX trial. Flew an Aerosoft Airbus from Milan (default) to Vienna (FlyTampa) and never made it. OOM on final.

If you are using the PMDG 777, disabling RAAS in dll.xml will save VAS. I want to say in excess of 100MB, but it's been awhile since I checked. Don't want to be accused of trolling.

This is a routine I use every time before flying.  Don't know exactly how much VAS it saves, but there is a "huge" difference with and without the technique, per the performance tab in Task Manager. I gathered parts from the late Michael Greenblatt and parts from Rob Ainscough, so I don't profess any authorship.  In this order:

1. Delete any temporary files by going to C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp (I put a shortcut on the     desktop for this).

2. Empty the recycle bin.

3. Run C Cleaner.

4. Run P3D.

5. Select you starting airport and parking space.

6. Select your aircraft.

7. Select weather, traffic, options, etc.

8. Save the flight.

9. Exit P3d and in task manager make sure no other P3D aux programs are running.

10.Restart the computer.

11.Go to C:\Users\User\Documents\Prepare3dv2.x files and click on the flight name, which will have a P3D icon in it.

11. After the flight loads, load your flight plan, and run any peripheral programs, like FSGRW, ASN, GTN 750, etc.

12. Go fly!

I know this seems like a lot to preflight, but it really takes about only five minutes.  If I don't use the technique, with my setup I get OOM's every flight.  Using it I get none.

Also, again per Rob, every time you switch views from inside the cockpit to outside and vice-versa, it uses VAS that's lost forever.  So, because I fly from the virtual cockpit, unless there are compelling reasons to go to outside views, I don't.