Sign in to follow this  
Polar

It was a great ride

I read people jumping ship and couldn't care less. Love FS9, does everything I need brilliantly! 10 years from now when I can buy an average PC and FSX will run brilliantly too I may go to FSX or another option if it is there. I have something to enjoy now and I know there is at least one future flight sim waiting for me I know for certain I will enjoy. I'm living in a perfect world!

Mark Daniels

Love FS9, does everything I need brilliantly!

I totally agree! I used to be very happy with FS9, but over the years I jumped ship and went to FSX, Flight, and X Plane. Each have their strengths and drawbacks (and its not my intention to get into that discussion here). I too removed FS9 from my computer.

About a year ago I discovered that I had become totally burned out with flight simming - I was tired of spending all my time on the technical/computer aspects of the sims (trying to get them to work right) instead of just enjoying the experience of flying. That never happened when I was just using FS9 - I would just fire it up and fly.

My burn out had caused me not flight simming at all for the past year - I just walked away from the whole thing. This wasn't something I planned to do - it just happened.

I do plan to return to flight simming some day soon, but when I do I will be using FS9. A couple of weeks ago I reinstalled FS9 on my computer and I've downloaded some of the planes that I used to enjoy so much. Hopefully I will rediscover the fun of flight simming that I lost.    

And that is why I stick to fs9. Offcourse I have invested money and time on this sim but that is not the main reason to stick to it.

I now have two very young kids (2 y/o and 3 months) and I picked up a study so I have to invest time in other more important things right now. The time will come that the simming returns. Sometimes I get behind my desktop and fly a short route, once a week. This morning I saw that AlphaIndia had some new traffic files on the library from UsAirways, United and so on. Nice. Im looking forward to install them this afternoon and make the traffic updated again.

I dont like to invest new energy in a new sim. My fs9 works great! Got great fps, got nice sceneries with realistic traffic. It starts everytime without any fuss. Dont get ctd's or oom's.

I understand, when you got the time and the money I maybe also abandon fs9 for something better. But for me fs9 is like your first car. It doesnt let you down, you got nice memories with it and you know it the best.

So true. No fiddling. No endless comparisons. It just works.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

The big plus for fs9 is its smoothness and lack of crashes. My Super VC10 (just waiting for the manuel to be finished) to be released March/April has 370mb of gauges. The whole a/c loaded into the sim is 600mb. I run the sim in full screen and never have any crashes.

FSX? well, it made a handfull of small advances. But unfortunately too many backward steps as it was an unfinished release.

I read people jumping ship and couldn't care less. Love FS9, does everything I need brilliantly! 10 years from now when I can buy an average PC and FSX will run brilliantly too I may go to FSX or another option if it is there. I have something to enjoy now and I know there is at least one future flight sim waiting for me I know for certain I will enjoy. I'm living in a perfect world!

100% Concur

For the guys (like me) who are staying with FS9, do you guys get jealous when a new airport comes out for FSX that will most likely NOT be made for FS9? When Fly Tampa came out with Toronto I felt a little jealous because that is a airport I always wanted. And when someone makes a update of old airports (like if FSDreamteam updates KLAS with the new terminal) we FS9ers get left out.

PS: Maybe jealous is not the word to use? 

abandon fs9 for something better

I would say something different.

Toronto I felt a little jealous because that is a airport I always wanted.

Well we have an excellent freeware version with AES with performs splendidly which is much more than can be said for FlyTampa's version.

For the guys (like me) who are staying with FS9, do you guys get jealous when a new airport comes out for FSX that will most likely NOT be made for FS9?

Same response as before, don't care! I have so much FS9 stuff I have still yet to fully explore and some addons I have yet to even start with! It's not as if the FSX addons are banned for me and I will never see them. When/if I switch to FSX I can have those too! If that's in 10 years from now and there is no great flight sim products around at that time, many may start to get bored with their old FSX and old addons. For me, this will be all new and exciting and I'll still have 10+ years of flight simming to look forward to 10 years from now! The greatest upside, the bugs will likely be gone from the addons and the payware prices will be cheaper and some maybe even free. A million free and pay addons will be out and established so you can pick and choose only the best addons. You don't have to start with something and then a couple of years later find it's been replaced by something else.

Finally and best of all, if you follow all of the above, the journey could easily span 20 years and it will all likely be completely painless from any angle you look at it. You just can't lose if you are using FS9! lol

Mark Daniels

Same response as before, don't care! I have so much FS9 stuff I have still yet to fully explore and some addons I have yet to even start with! It's not as if the FSX addons are banned for me and I will never see them. When/if I switch to FSX I can have those too! If that's in 10 years from now and there is no great flight sim products around at that time, many may start to get bored with their old FSX and old addons. For me, this will be all new and exciting and I'll still have 10+ years of flight simming to look forward to 10 years from now! The greatest upside, the bugs will likely be gone from the addons and the payware prices will be cheaper and some maybe even free. A million free and pay addons will be out and established so you can pick and choose only the best addons. You don't have to start with something and then a couple of years later find it's been replaced by something else.

Finally and best of all, if you follow all of the above, the journey could easily span 20 years and it will all likely be completely painless from any angle you look at it. You just can't lose if you are using FS9! lol

Excellent summation! 

Regards,

Joe Esposito

Ed & Garry have released amazing stuff on http://ford-tri-motor.net/.

Just add Bill's Golden Wings into the mix & you got something amazing!

Eat your heart out, FSX & P3D'ers.

Their freeware will keep you busy for simply ages..  That's the beauty of FS9... Timeless!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

How did a word of thanks get to this? :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

I don't know but it's a 'quality' thread now. :P:lol:

Mark Daniels